• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Until July, I’d say it would be a good year in the Boerne area. It’s been hot and dry since and forecast for more of the same, so it may get tougher if the smaller tanks and ponds dry up.

Further south and west has been hot and dry longer, toward the coastal bend seems to be where I’d keep an eye out as it has been wetter there more consistently.

theblakester

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Until July, I’d say it would be a good year in the Boerne area. It’s been hot and dry since and forecast for more of the same, so it may get tougher if the smaller tanks and ponds dry up.

Further south and west has been hot and dry longer, toward the coastal bend seems to be where I’d keep an eye out as it has been wetter there more consistently.

I thought drier was better leading up to opening weekend. I was under the impression that a wet spring/early summer but dry late summer was optimal. Higher survival rates in the spring and a dry opening weekend meant the birds have to fly longer distances from where they’re nesting/bedding down to find water every morning and evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have seen lots of birds flying around North Texas. Some are Eurasian, but still lots flying around grain fields and pastures I have driven by. And lots of mourning dove are coming to my bird feeder.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I saw quite a few birds between Waco and Corsicana. Lot of white wings, mourning dove and eurasians. I know a few landowners that lease property to hunters and they’re expecting a good season this year as well.

Speaking of hunting, I’ve seen way more gobblers and hens this year than years past. This warm wet late winter and spring and a bumper mast crop should bode well for wing shooting and waterfowl this upcoming season.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Keeping an eye on this thread. I really enjoyed dove hunting as a kid in Mississippi. I would like to get into it again soon. Maybe next year. I need to get a shotgun and practice .

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Keeping an eye on this thread. I really enjoyed dove hunting as a kid in Mississippi. I would like to get into it again soon. Maybe next year. I need to get a shotgun and practice .

Where are you at?

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya

Get a hunting license and I’ll put you on some birds with a shotgun to shoot with.

Gonna be a kick ass season :)

Teal season is gonna be a good one too, I’m already seeing birds and the hatch was a good one. It kicks off around the second weekend of Sept. If you think dove are fun you should try poppin a few. The birds are like little jet fighters. Hunting those birds are an absolute blast, by far one of my favorite hunts.

Again, I can put you on some birds. PM and let me know when you’re ready.

Last edited:

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Get a hunting license and I’ll put you on some birds with a shotgun to shoot with.

Gonna be a kick ass season :)

Teal season is gonna be a good one too, I’m already seeing birds and the hatch was a good one. It kicks off around the second weekend of Sept. If you think dove are fun you should try poppin a few. The birds are like little jet fighters. Hunting those birds are an absolute blast, by far one of my favorite hunts.

Again, I can put you on some birds. PM and let me know when you’re ready.

Is your retriever ready for dove? Well-trained gun dogs are wise for wildlife conservation and make the whole event a warm and fuzzy feeling. Some dogs hate the taste of dove and pigeon and need to to learn how to not to balk at picking them up. I like this dove set-up with Mr. Schwisow here. Nice red Golden retriever. Cool camo dog blind. MOJO decoys. Nice field of sunflower without a huge crowd.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Is your retriever ready for dove? Well-trained gun dogs are wise for wildlife conservation and make the whole event a warm and fuzzy feeling. Some dogs hate the taste of dove and pigeon and need to to learn how to not to balk at picking them up.

Only hunts I use a dog are quail, pheasant, chukkar, and occasionally ducks.

In Argentina our retrievers are two legged. We tip them good though, they don’t complain :)

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Only hunts I use a dog are quail, pheasant, chukkar, and occasionally ducks.

In Argentina our retrievers are two legged. We tip them good though, they don’t complain :)

I don't think dogless hunting much fun. The less time you have to fetch your own downed birds means the more shooting opportunity you will have. A well-trained dog is fun to see in action. Millions of doves are recovered each year that would have been otherwise lost sans pooch. Doves can be crippled and get a mile or more away before they drop. A good dog will charge hard out there and get em.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I don't think dogless hunting much fun. The less time you have to fetch your own downed birds means the more shooting opportunity you will have. A well-trained dog is fun to see in action. Millions of doves are recovered each year that would have been otherwise lost sans pooch. Doves can be crippled and get a mile or more away before they drop. A good dog will charge hard out there and get em.

I’m a lazy hunter, I don’t pull the trigger unless the birds are in my face. Which is typically the case since I kill the shit out of birds.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

You're going to let your bird dog run a mile chasing a dove?

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    I’m all about watching a good dog work a hunt. But I know a ton of folks who’ve hunted responsibly their whole lives without a dog and enjoyed it immensely.

Regarding wounded birds escaping, that’s primarily an issue with hunters that don’t know the limitations of their shotgun/choke and shot size or sky bust birds. Patterning is important as well. I’ve seen the same make/model of shotgun pattern differently with the same shot shells. If you don’t know the point of impact from a given point of aim it’s hard to hit a fast moving object. Putting time in on a Clay’s course is more helpful than a dog imho.

Dogs aren’t needed to have an enjoyable, ethically responsible, humane, productive hunt.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is your retriever ready for dove? Well-trained gun dogs are wise for wildlife conservation and make the whole event a warm and fuzzy feeling. Some dogs hate the taste of dove and pigeon and need to to learn how to not to balk at picking them up. I like this dove set-up with Mr. Schwisow here. Nice red Golden retriever. Cool camo dog blind. MOJO decoys. Nice field of sunflower without a huge crowd.

Bullshit.

My dogs will eat any dove I give them. They aren’t some prissy little city bitches.

The more you post, the less I think you actually know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom