Military Camp

Don't be an easy target.....shooting on the move!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Most shooters train standing in one spot...due to range safety rules and lack of knowledge of how to do anything else but.
    Hitting a moving target is extremely difficult, while "being the moving target" increases survivability of the shooter, hence your living through an engagement with an adversary.
    Solid fundamentals never go out of style: proficiency in grip, trigger manipulation, ability to maintain an acceptable sight alignment/sight picture, combined with a practiced technique of "movement" provides a more stable platform to make solid relevant hits on the threat.
    Training in this technique of "shooting while moving" or "shooting on the move" is required 1) to recognize one's limitations, and 2) one's confidence in multi-tasking (walking, shooting, malfunction remediation, reloading, seeking cover/concealment, etc) while making sound decisions whether to engage or simply be prepared to engage.

Shooting While Moving - YouTube

Contact Criterion Tactical (criterion01@gmail.com) for additional training in this, or anything firearms related.
    Target Sports

K9117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Wood County, TX
    Yes, movement is essential but it's more of a shuffle or slide than an outright walk or run. Legs bent as much as possible and the head(located between one's shoulders) lowered. About the last thing one would want or need would be to trip and fall due to stepping on something.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I see plenty of signs out in the countryside where peeps be practicing shooting at stationary targets from a moving vehicle. Good trying until they get caught.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Get off the X comes to mind. FoF is a real eye opener. When both are moving it gets difficult.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Yes, movement is essential but it's more of a shuffle or slide than an outright walk or run. Legs bent as much as possible and the head(located between one's shoulders) lowered. About the last thing one would want or need would be to trip and fall due to stepping on something.

Yeah, that’s pretty much not it. I’ve been using, practicing, and teaching dynamic movement for the past 10 years in live fire and FoF courses. I teach to both sworn personnel and citizens. Not wanting to trip or step on stuff is why I train folks to NOT backpedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    One of the things I told my kids when it comes to school shootings is to keep moving. Most of the materials in a school building won’t stop a bullet. So I think trying to hide is a bad strategy.

K9117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Wood County, TX
    Yeah, that’s pretty much not it. I’ve been using, practicing, and teaching dynamic movement for the past 10 years in live fire and FoF courses. I teach to both sworn personnel and citizens. Not wanting to trip or step on stuff is why I train folks to NOT backpedal.

Sorry I'm confused now. Where in my post did you see the word, "backpedal?"

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Sorry I'm confused now. Where in my post did you see the word, "backpedal?"

Did you or did you not state they need to shuffle walk slow etc so they won’t trip/step on stuff? You didn’t mention anything about backpedaling. I did. Backpedaling is when people tend to trip and step on things; not when they’re allowing their body to move how it was meant to move.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Did you or did you not state they need to shuffle walk slow etc so they won’t trip/step on stuff? You didn’t mention anything about backpedaling. I did. Backpedaling is when people tend to trip and step on things; not when they’re allowing their body to move how it was meant to move.

I dunno, I can see you tripping on stuff moving laterally or even forward when you are focusing pn someone trying to kill you. Duck walking has been taught at many a class. Is it always appropriate? Many ways to skin a cat. My shooting on the move sucks but hey If I am throwing rounds downrange, maybe I am buying myself some time to get to cover?

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I dunno, I can see you tripping on stuff moving laterally or even forward when you are focusing pn someone trying to kill you. Duck walking has been taught at many a class. Is it always appropriate? Many ways to skin a cat. My shooting on the move sucks but hey If I am throwing rounds downrange, maybe I am buying myself some time to get to cover?

“Duck walking” can fit in a proactive fight. Try to use it in a reactive fight and you’re almost guaranteed a fail. I say almost because nothing’s 100%. If you’ve done a well organized Force on Force you’ll understand the context.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I’m not trying to snipe students from the OP’s well thought out submission. I don’t make a dime off of Gabe’s DVD unless I sell it from my own store. I’m sure the OP is more than capable of describing what is and isn’t getting off the x/Dynamic Movement.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    “Duck walking” can fit in a proactive fight. Try to use it in a reactive fight and you’re almost guaranteed a fail. I say almost because nothing’s 100%. If you’ve done a well organized Force on Force you’ll understand the context.

Hence my earlier comment to move off the X (which is generally not backwards). You mentioned that backpedaling is what usually leads to tripping in regards to another's comment of moving slowly shuffling feet while shooting on the move.
    My point is that it is not the only way to trip - backpedaling. Add the stress of someone shooting at you and tunnel vision associated with it and tripping becomes a real issue.
    There are times to move slowly and deliberately and times to move quickly just as there are times to move and then shoot and times to move while shooting.
    As always, the situation dictates tactics.

K9117

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Wood County, TX

Yes sir, but I meant if going side to side. I should have been clearer, sorry for the confusion. There are alot of things a person won't "understand" until they've been shot at a couple of times. I'm reminded of that every time I see the scars left on me from an AK47 round. Guess I should have zigged when I zagged.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Hence my earlier comment to move off the X (which is generally not backwards). You mentioned that backpedaling is what usually leads to tripping in regards to another's comment of moving slowly shuffling feet while shooting on the move.
    My point is that it is not the only way to trip - backpedaling. Add the stress of someone shooting at you and tunnel vision associated with it and tripping becomes a real issue.
    There are times to move slowly and deliberately and times to move quickly just as there are times to move and then shoot and times to move while shooting.
    As always, the situation dictates tactics.

imho, In a similar scenario, point shooting is much more effective than sight shooting.

Regarding tunnel vision, if it's occuring due to being shot at, your training is insufficient or the methodology youre using is flawed. Tunnel vision is a manifestation of target fixation and I've seen it occur numerous times, typically in reactive situations where the encounter is abrupt, violent and unexpected. Our training cadre at Bragg had a saying that at the time sounded like some sort of Zen Bhuddist bs and didnt make a damn bit of sense; Slow, is fast. It wasnt until we hit the kill house that it clicked and when we put it to practice, our scores and proficiency increased dramatically. Three simple words, and I've never forgotten their significance. FISH/Freeflow/CQB/MOUT, it works and should be a foundational element regardless of the specific methodology your using.

Speaking of tunnel vision, I've approached fixated combatants close enough to take a PB head shot. If thats an ongoing problem, I would resolve it asap. Not only do you run the risk of losing situational awareness, it puts you and your teammates at risk.

Last edited:

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Yes sir, but I meant if going side to side. I should have been clearer, sorry for the confusion. There are alot of things a person won't "understand" until they've been shot at a couple of times. I'm reminded of that every time I see the scars left on me from an AK47 round. Guess I should have zigged when I zagged.
    Yeah, I understood what you meant and it is a valid method moving laterally. I was kinda confused by JonPayne's response with backpedaling.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    imho, In a similar scenario, point shooting is much more effective than sight shooting.

Regarding tunnel vision, if it's occuring due to being shot at, your training is insufficient or the methodology youre using is flawed. Tunnel vision is a manifestation of target fixation and I've seen it occur numerous times, typically in reactive situations where the encounter is abrupt, violent and unexpected.

I dunno, after reading a ton of stuff and out of all the classes I have taken by squared away guys, I never considered point shooting. I get a flash sight picture but to me if you want hits on target, you use your sights for anything over 5 feet.

There are certain things the body begins to do after the release of adrenaline in hight stress situations - auditory exclusion and tunnel vision are 2 of them. Can It be trained out? Yep but I found it requires a lot more training than most average people do and most seem to default to their lowest level of training rather than rising to the occasion.

Top Bottom