• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The above does not pertain to me. This is a serious thread. There is nothing else at this site covering this. I ran a search already. A serious question was asked. I wasn't aware that there is posting quota for site members. Nothing on Google has been able to answer my question. It might not be an important question to some but it is important to me. If no person here is able to answer my question, I will ask the game authorities then. I don't want to get busted (fined, jailed) for having a dog in the field where I'm not allowed to have one. I don't want to put any dog in danger of getting shot where the dog isn't welcome or supposed to be. I'm a serious conservationist. My aim is to employ dogs in the pursuit of game to the extent the law allows. The TPWD website doesn't even cover dogs and big game.

I have emailed the TPWD the following serious questions regarding dogs and I'm waiting for a response.

1. Is it lawful in TX to use one or more dogs to blood-trail wounded deer?

2. What is the limit for the number of dogs that may be used?

3. Must the dogs be leashed?

4. May a deer hunter lawfully be in immediate possession of at least one leashed/tied-up dog while hunting deer?

5. May a deer hunter lawfully have possession of any leashed/tied-up dog while actively pursuing such game for companionship or personal security in the field or as a "service animal"?

6. Should prospective deer hunters ask land owners/managers about the use or possession of personal dogs first?

It is applicable to your threads in aggregate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    It is unlawful to use dogs to hunt deer in this state.
    • A person who violates this law is subject to a fine of $500-$4,000 and/or a year in jail. Additionally, a person’s hunting and fishing licenses may be revoked or suspended. In addition, no person may possess a shot- gun and buckshot or slugs while in the field with dogs on another person’s land during an open deer season in Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, and Tyler counties.
    • Not more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A “wounded deer” is a deer leaving a blood trail.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    • A person who violates this law is subject to a fine of $500-$4,000 and/or a year in jail. Additionally, a person’s hunting and fishing licenses may be revoked or suspended. In addition, no person may possess a shot- gun and buckshot or slugs while in the field with dogs on another person’s land during an open deer season in Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, and Tyler counties.
    • Not more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A “wounded deer” is a deer leaving a blood trail.
    Yup. Page 58

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    A year in the pokey? 4 grand fine? ZOINKS! My "Victor" and "Dorothy" will just have to stay with the pet-sitters then wherever I venture for Lone Star deer then. I would have to have a guy with a hound lined up just in case of a wounding. Having been an army Expert rifleman, a wounding with me is not likely. I'm glad one can still hunt feathered game, pigs and varmints with pooches.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Simple solution. Use all your BS posting time to practice shooting so you don't wound one. Have you figured out how to dove hunt yet? First rule, point the hole at the dove, not the other end. :rolleyes:

dove_poppers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Simple solution. Use all your BS posting time to practice shooting so you don't wound one. Have you figured out how to dove hunt yet? First rule, point the hole at the dove, not the other end. :rolleyes:
    Do we have to get hostile here, people? Stop being so arrogant, please.

No, the first rule: scout for a good dove honey hole then ask owner for permission before the season opener, look for birds perching on telephone wires, look for partially-mown fields as sunflower, look for watering holes and perching trees

Dove hunting occurs BEFORE the season: it's finding a place to even shoot.
    Once the honey hole is secured, then it's simply a fish-barrel shoot..... well, not exactly, doves aren't known to be the easiest of targets but finding the honey hole is 3/4 of the Columbidae battle. The other 1/4 is placing the decoys, a good gun mount, a good swing, a good lead and a good follow-through. I hope you folks here don't think I'm preaching to the choir.

Last edited:

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Can’t argue with that. The prob for most folks is finding a place to hunt. All the spots I hunted by my house are now filled with houses and shopping centers and I lost access to another place at Ridgeview & 75 I’ve been hunting off and on since I was a kid when Billy Turrentine passed away.

Now I have to drive a ways.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    From the code of conduct:

“Excessive Thread Creation
    Creating an excessive number of threads or threads that lack substance makes it difficult for members to find information and track more useful threads. If a thread already exists on a topic do not create another covering virtually the same topic. If the thread consists nothing more than a random off topic though it is probably not worthy of its own thread. These threads may be locked or deleted and members guilty of starting such disruptive threads will be removed at the forums discretion.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah and can you guess how many are about gun?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I would just like to point out that there’s now a line through his name.

3514EB77-AC09-4EE7-93FA-314095F5FEB1.jpeg

Attachments

• 3514EB77-AC09-4EE7-93FA-314095F5FEB1.jpeg
      3514EB77-AC09-4EE7-93FA-314095F5FEB1.jpeg
      84.3 KB · Views: 270

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Do we have to get hostile here, people? Stop being so arrogant, please.

No, the first rule: scout for a good dove honey hole then ask owner for permission before the season opener, look for birds perching on telephone wires, look for partially-mown fields as sunflower, look for watering holes and perching trees

Dove hunting occurs BEFORE the season: it's finding a place to even shoot.
    Once the honey hole is secured, then it's simply a fish-barrel shoot..... well, not exactly, doves aren't known to be the easiest of targets but finding the honey hole is 3/4 of the Columbidae battle. The other 1/4 is placing the decoys, a good gun mount, a good swing, a good lead and a good follow-through. I hope you folks here don't think I'm preaching to the choir.

Telephone wires? Are we still in 1976?
    I know, I know. He's gone. But damn. Telephone wires?
    Somebody needs a new book on dove hunting. Maybe I'll find a publisher. Heh

Top Bottom