Join TexasGunTalk

Dogs for blood-trailing big game.

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by dove_poppers, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Dfw metromess.
    I have a copy. I will look.

2. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It is applicable to your threads in aggregate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southpaw likes this.
  3. Sam Colt

Sam Colt Active Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    It is unlawful to use dogs to hunt deer in this state.
    • A person who violates this law is subject to a fine of $500-$4,000 and/or a year in jail. Additionally, a person’s hunting and fishing licenses may be revoked or suspended. In addition, no person may possess a shot- gun and buckshot or slugs while in the field with dogs on another person’s land during an open deer season in Angelina, Hardin, Jasper, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Augustine, Shelby, and Tyler counties.
    • Not more than two dogs may be used to trail a wounded deer in counties not listed above. A “wounded deer” is a deer leaving a blood trail.

Sam7sf likes this.
  4. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Dfw metromess.
    Yup. Page 58

5. dove_poppers

dove_poppers Member

Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    A year in the pokey? 4 grand fine? ZOINKS! My "Victor" and "Dorothy" will just have to stay with the pet-sitters then wherever I venture for Lone Star deer then. I would have to have a guy with a hound lined up just in case of a wounding. Having been an army Expert rifleman, a wounding with me is not likely. I'm glad one can still hunt feathered game, pigs and varmints with pooches.

6. avvidclif

avvidclif RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Simple solution. Use all your BS posting time to practice shooting so you don't wound one. Have you figured out how to dove hunt yet? First rule, point the hole at the dove, not the other end. :rolleyes:

7. birddog

birddog bullshit meter

Mar 4, 2008
    Dallas / Ft. Worth
    On a side note, dogs are great for hogs.

8. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    "I'm a serious conservationist." he said.....respect his author...ah, forget it!

9. dove_poppers

dove_poppers Member

Aug 6, 2019
    San Antonio, Tx
    Do we have to get hostile here, people? Stop being so arrogant, please.

No, the first rule: scout for a good dove honey hole then ask owner for permission before the season opener, look for birds perching on telephone wires, look for partially-mown fields as sunflower, look for watering holes and perching trees

Dove hunting occurs BEFORE the season: it's finding a place to even shoot.
    Once the honey hole is secured, then it's simply a fish-barrel shoot..... well, not exactly, doves aren't known to be the easiest of targets but finding the honey hole is 3/4 of the Columbidae battle. The other 1/4 is placing the decoys, a good gun mount, a good swing, a good lead and a good follow-through. I hope you folks here don't think I'm preaching to the choir.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  10. birddog

birddog bullshit meter

Mar 4, 2008
    Dallas / Ft. Worth
    Can’t argue with that. The prob for most folks is finding a place to hunt. All the spots I hunted by my house are now filled with houses and shopping centers and I lost access to another place at Ridgeview & 75 I’ve been hunting off and on since I was a kid when Billy Turrentine passed away.

Now I have to drive a ways.