• ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I use OWB with a sweatshield.

Look at some of the custom holstermakers, not necessarily more expensive but often will customize if they don't have exactly what you want. May be one on this board.

Warbird leather is very good, Paul is a great guy. I have a number of his holsters.

https://paultripodi.smugmug.com/
    My problem is not what I want. My problem is what I "think" want. If someone said "Tell me exactly what you want and I can make it!" Extended silence would follow!

I was doing my testing/fitting with the FNS-9C @ the 3:00 position with the 16 rd mag. That provided the least amount of printing but the more difficult draw. This morning I replaced the 16 rd mag with the 12 rd mag and move the holster to the 4:00 position. Drawing was a bit easier and print though was still minimal. The 9C is significantly bigger than the P365. Soooo... if I EDC the P365 I might can make that work w/o the backing. I think I'm gonna order a N8 Tactical for the P365 since I have no holster at all for it. Then try modifing the holster I have for the 9C and see how that goes.

Mmmm... if I take everything out of the bottom two drawers of the 18" file cabinet I'm pretty sure "most" of these holsters will fit in there plus I get my sock drawer back!
    DK Firearms

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    My problem is not what I want. My problem is what I "think" want. If someone said "Tell me exactly what you want and I can make it!" Extended silence would follow!
    That's the problem. You don't know what you want until you get used to carrying, and figure out where it's the most convenient and comfortable.

Maybe we should set up a holster rental and exchange for people to determine what works best for them before jumping in and buying all these expensive holsters.

For IWB in 4:00 to 5:00 position, lots of people use Alien Gear holster or half breeds. I prefer a full leather holster and have a few of the Bullard Leather Dual Carry holsters to fit anything I ever use as EDC.

For the pocket rockets I use an appropriately sized sticky holster.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

I was doing my testing/fitting with the FNS-9C @ the 3:00 position with the 16 rd mag. That provided the least amount of printing but the more difficult draw. This morning I replaced the 16 rd mag with the 12 rd mag and move the holster to the 4:00 position. Drawing was a bit easier and print though was still minimal. The 9C is significantly bigger than the P365. Soooo... if I EDC the P365 I might can make that work w/o the backing. I think I'm gonna order a N8 Tactical for the P365 since I have no holster at all for it. Then try modifing the holster I have for the 9C and see how that goes.

Mmmm... if I take everything out of the bottom two drawers of the 18" file cabinet I'm pretty sure "most" of these holsters will fit in there plus I get my sock drawer back!
    I really wouldn't worry about printing.

99.999% of the public will never notice. For all they know, it is a cell phone case.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The problem with putting something behind the grip is that while it helps keep you from scratching yourself, it also gets in the way of getting a good grip before you pull it out.

Yes, this big time. That large backer makes a good purchase very hard for me to obtain when drawing under any kind of stress.

For the pocket rockets I use an appropriately sized sticky holster.

Sticky holsters work well. I've even carried my shield in one IWB. Not the most secure but more so than you might think. I wouldn't go wrestling on the ground with somebody with it but for normal carry when you will need to disarm, it works well enough.

I'm not a huge fan of the hybrid holsters with kydex and a leather/synthetic material as a backer. They're rather bulky IMO and I find harder to draw from.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    This type sweatshield works for me. Keeps the pistol off my skin but does not interfere with drawing.

My favorite from Warbird Leather.

1600442187532.png

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I'm not a huge fan of the hybrid holsters with kydex and a leather/synthetic material as a backer. They're rather bulky IMO and I find harder to draw from.
    This is my concern as well. They look bulky vs 100% kydex. I just bought a CYA holster @ Academy for the 365. It was 40 bucks and I can return it, and probably will. But at least it gives me something solid to start forming an opinion of what I'm looking for in a holster for that particular gun.

DavidApplegreen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2019
    Auburn, Wa
    I've got a holster from Concealment Express. It an IWB kydex. I like it. I'm normally wearing a pocketed tee shirt and there's virtually no print through. It's comfortable. I wear it around the 3-4 O'clock position. The problem I have is not so much with the holster, I don't think. The problem is it is so snug against my side that when I go to draw I end up clawing my side trying to get my fingers under the grip. Then putting it back owwwfuckin'ouch pinches like'a sumditch. I've taken a piece of cardboard and made it kinna like a holster extension and all the issues go away. But I ain't walking around with cardboard stuck in my pants. In the photo below the yellow outlines where I'd like to get some backing so instead of my fingernails clawing holes in my side they just slip around the grip as I'm pulling it out. Wouldn't hurt if it extended just a tad more in front of the grip from the tigger guard to the mag plate.

View attachment 227292
    Have u tried a belly band ?

Old_Inspector

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I am a fan of hybrid kydex/heather holsters, particularly those which use belt clips on each side of the holster. They are far less bulky than most leather holsters. I find most give good concealability, with good retention and comfort (with a thin leather backing. Comp-Tac, Alien Gear, Crossbreed all have good holsters of this kind. It is quite easy to conceal a holster that can hold up to a .45 Commander size pistol. Most people will not notice anyway. What matters most, in terms of concealability, is the thickness and length of the grip of the pistol.

Oz15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    SETX
    Take a look at Crossbreed Holsters also. I have a Crossbreed MiniTuck (I think) I use to EDC a Sig P238 and it is so comfortable I didn’t even try a 2nd option. Also, every now and then, depending on the pants or shorts I wear, the grip rubs my side as well. All i do is shift the holster to a position closer to 4 o’clock instead of 3. You might also consider your whole body position or movement and draw stroke so that you don’t dig into yourself when trying to establish proper grip. Another option is OWB, but that introduces other potential carry factors.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Take a look at Crossbreed Holsters also. I have a Crossbreed MiniTuck (I think) I use to EDC a Sig P238 and it is so comfortable I didn’t even try a 2nd option. Also, every now and then, depending on the pants or shorts I wear, the grip rubs my side as well. All i do is shift the holster to a position closer to 4 o’clock instead of 3. You might also consider your whole body position or movement and draw stroke so that you don’t dig into yourself when trying to establish proper grip. Another option is OWB, but that introduces other potential carry factors.
    This is what I have done and did find relief. There are other features that make the holster uncomfortable after 5-6 hours but not unbearable. The Hopp Custom holster surferdaddy posted looks good. I think I'm gonna order one of those as well - after I check out the holster to see if it has "features" I'm not looking for like level 2 retention.

ETA: To be clear. I did rotate the holster to the 4 O'clock position and that seemed to work pretty good. The grip may print a bit more but not really "bad". I'm good with it and have been EDC with it for the las 3-4 days w/o incident.

I did contact Hopp Custom Leather about that holster posted by surferdaddy. On his web site he's stating 6-8 months lead time - which is OK. But gotta have something that'll work in the interim and the one I have seems to be doing the trick!

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I open carry the vast majority of the time. 99.99% of the public never notices.

I ordered an OWB for open carry for my CZ75 SP-01 Phantom. In the winter especially I don't think it'll be noticable at all. It's not the gunslinger style strapped to hip/thigh.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go to your next/nearest gun show. Find the kid and his father who make holsters while you wait.. Kydex with a fiber backing... go to Tandy Leather, buy a one foot by one foot piece of tanned horse hide. Cut it to your desired shape and coverage. Here's my 19... The extra width of the backing causes the butt of the Glock to stand out slightly from my side. (I am 6'1" and weigh 220 pounds).
    I am out less than 30 dollars for one concealed holster, and enough leather for a second one for my 26... Obviously, glue it on with a flexible glue... like rubber cement... So far mine has lasted 2 plus years without separation.. and the horse hide is still pristine after two years of daily wear of about 9 or 10 hours. It goes without saying, glue it on with the soft side, not tanned side facing your body.
    "Necessity is the mother on invention" .. Frank Zappa didn't invent it, but he certainly epitomized it.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.jpeg
      IMG_5034.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 146
    • IMG_5035.jpeg
      IMG_5035.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 142

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Go to your next/nearest gun show. Find the kid and his father who make holsters while you wait.. Kydex with a fiber backing... go to Tandy Leather, buy a one foot by one foot piece of tanned horse hide. Cut it to your desired shape and coverage. Here's my 19... The extra width of the backing causes the butt of the Glock to stand out slightly from my side. (I am 6'1" and weigh 220 pounds).
    I am out less than 30 dollars for one concealed holster, and enough leather for a second one for my 26... Obviously, glue it on with a flexible glue... like rubber cement... So far mine has lasted 2 plus years without separation.. and the horse hide is still pristine after two years of daily wear of about 9 or 10 hours. It goes without saying, glue it on with the soft side, not tanned side facing your body.
    "Necessity is the mother on invention" .. Frank Zappa didn't invent it, but he certainly epitomized it.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try!

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This stuff is not brain surgery. I have more than a couple of high dollar "tuckable" holsters I will loan friends who are experimenting... Damn things are 18 to 24 inches square and are like wearing a cheap piece of armor on my side. Rub/scrape/impede sitting down/standing up. Wearable if you feel comfortable with a 3 pound slab of leather inside your belt that in most cases will not let you sit down without slicing your leg. OH, I guess they do have a nice logo branded into them.

Spacecitysoldier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2020
    Houston, TX
    Nice!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom