Kroger was having a sale on eggs at .97 for 18 count and we stocked up

we have dehydrated, but not freeze dried as of yet

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Skittles ARE the bomb. Crazy good. Gummy bears turn to foam crunch when you bite them, and then epoxy on about the 3rd chew.
    Years ago my chef buddy was making fruit flavored meringue for a dessert. They went into a regular dehydrator. The foam crunch reminded me of that. The meringues proved problematic and never again were they made.

Years later and I took the dehydrator home for drying brass after ss pin tumbling. I guess I really should be using it for some foods!

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    The videos by “Retired at 40” are pretty good. We learned a few things from him. Betty’s Harvest Right Freeze Dryers Group on Fakebook is almost worth going there.

Bad food does not get better by freeze drying. The interwebz are full of dicksniffers acting the fool.

“I have 10 cans of cream of mushroom soup that expired in 2015. Can I freeze dry them?” Yes, chaude-smoker, you can, but they’ll still taste like ass.

“Has anybody freeze dried hotdogs?” Uhhh, yeah, and they were all disappointed with the tray full of failure nuggets because fat won’t freeze dry.

“I’m thinking of mixing up a big batch of pancake batter and freeze drying it to take camping.” Great idea, Copernicus, Spend your lunch money, destroy the kitchen, run the freeze dryer for a couple of days and you’ll get what? A bag of Krusteaze.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We have a dehydrator and make stuff like jerky. Wife dries chicken or beef livers, makes a powder and takes them as supplements.

(It smells so bad we have to do it outside)

But now I get to Google the differences between freeze drying, and dehydrating…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Here’s a hint. Freezing liquid or semi liquid is a problem. They tell you to put the trays in and then add the liquid, but then you can’t run a pre-frozen cycle and it takes forever. And it's a pain to stack trays full of liquid in the freezer.

What you can do is measure 3/4 of a pound of food into a quart Ziploc, and then flatten and freeze that on a cookie sheet in your chest freezer. When it is time to load, peel the bag away and place two of those chunks on your tray and go to town. They lay flat and it’s a pound and a half. They fit perfectly.

Here are some making the meal run. 8 large eggs per bag. Other bags are venison chili and venison stew. All ready to freeze dry.

7FA650D7-68A1-4335-A5F3-6520A108A9A0.jpeg
    FE7A996E-5DB7-4BCB-A324-8EF5F346E005.jpeg

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    The difference is in how it removes the water from the food. Think of the water like an appendix. The dehydrator removes it with a broken bottle. The freeze dryer removes it with a laser scalpel.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    64 more eggs processing in 4 trays.

Wyman frozen blueberries were on sale in May. We bought 6 bags. A 3 pound bag fills 2 trays. Like I said, out of the deep freeze and slam them on the hard floor to rupture the skins.

We filled canning jars and sealed them with O2 absorbers. We have the Food Saver canning attachment to pull a light vacuum. Or, after the cycle and once the freeze dryer is clean and dry you can pull the shelves, put a tray in the bottom of the drum, and fill the unit with jars with finger tight lids. The test mode lets you seal the dryer and pull a full vacuum.

We moisten the berries, roll them in flour, and add them to pancake or muffin batter. The flour keeps them from turning the batter purple.

74AF3431-78DA-420C-AE1F-927EEB8E690F.jpeg

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Just working this bitch.

Ran more loads of venison stew and venison chili from last year’s harvest. Clearing freezer space and putting down pouches we can enjoy in deer camp this year.

Ran 8 pounds of strawberries we flash froze during the last big sale at Randall’s. 4 lbs for $5. I bought 32 pounds, cleaned and sliced them, and then froze them in a single layer on half baking sheets. The silicone mats are a godsend for keeping them from sticking.

Another 2 loads of 64 eggs each and with that we’re down to 1 load left from the sale eggs.

With green bell peppers at $.79 each, I bought, diced, and froze 8 pounds that are now ready to go in.

Lucked into an overrun sale on hot guacamole and small avocados. The avos were 10 for $5. Sliced the fruit and dipped it in a weak water and lime juice bath. The slices came out green and perfectly crisp. The guacamole looks great too.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    So, realistically , how much food can you reasonably expect to process/store in a year? I know what the numbers from Harvest Right say, but…….
    7 to 8 pounds of food every 2 days is what we’re getting.

A full load seems to take 40 hours or so, and then 2 hours to defrost and dry the drum. Then it takes about an hour to get the chamber down below freezing to put in the next pre-frozen load.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Freeze dryer came in the day before I left for Pennsylvania to hunt. Will be getting home today to check out the dividends. Mrs Hoji has been freeze drying some stuff already.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    That’s great. We’ve been enjoying the pre-packaged meals in deer camp. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Our freeze dryer crapped out after 3 batches of berries.

Our freeze dryer has been at Harvest Right for over 2 weeks now and they have not even looked at it( this tells me that they are so backed up with shit units they can’t keep up)
    and they have no idea when we can expect it back.
    We are charging it back and getting ready for a fight with them as they want to charge us a 15% restocking fee on the lemon unit they sent us.

I would not use, nor would I recommend their products to anyone.

Top Bottom