Lynx Defense

Do you shoot with one or both eyes open?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Both, depending on circumstances. Had glasses made, dominant eye focus on sight, other eye distance vision. Amazing to see front sight and target in focus. I'd get used to them at the range( 25 yards and closer). Then notice them when driving home. Both eyes open most of the time. Have to close the other eye when using a scope.

Are these your daily wear glasses, or just for shooting? Since I've gone to bifocals, my shooting has gone downhill. I'd like to try this out....

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    I learned to shoot with both eyes open and it seems to work pretty well for me. I've honestly never tried to shoot with one eye closed.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    Being cross-eye dominant, I’ve struggled with shooting both eyes open but the advantages are worth it. Everything from shotguns to rifles and pistols, the non-dominant eye has a purpose separate from the aiming eye. The depth perception of both eyes really help me with skeet shooting. For handgun, it helps with target transitions by allowing me to see more targets. For long range, the non-dominant eye can check level and see other data. The more I practice, the more I keep learning uses for the other eye.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Both eyes open where possible because you see more and have more awareness of the target and environment. If necessary, close one eye when you have to, but prefer both when possible. Not a big deal.

For iron sights, and particularly at closer range with easier shots, another option worth considering is both eyes open, either target-focused or somewhere in between so you have a soft focus on the sights. Point being, if it's an easier shot and depending on your skill level, getting a hard front sight focus might only slow you down when a soft focus might be "good enough" for a given shot.

Sight-Focus-Comparison.jpg

Failedsmile2019!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    Texas
    I'm still stuck with one closed to help with pistols. I'm slowing trying to dry fire enough to keep both open and then test at the range when I'm comfortable

Top Bottom