• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Back in 2005 the optometrist saw something in my eye that concerned her, so she sent me to an eye doctor in Austin for further examination. They took my BP and it was 200 something over 100 something. They sent me to the OR.

Been on BP meds since. Now, depending on time of day and where I'm at, it ranges between 146/78 down to 111/68. It's always on the high end at the doctor's office.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Back in 2005 the optometrist saw something in my eye that concerned her, so she sent me to an eye doctor in Austin for further examination. They took my BP and it was 200 something over 100 something. They sent me to the OR.

Been on BP meds since. Now, depending on time of day and where I'm at, it ranges between 146/78 down to 111/68. It's always on the high end at the doctor's office.
    Anytime someone else takes my blood pressure it's higher than when I take it...

Mine is typically <120/80 resting, but I do take 10mg enalapril daily.

It is the only prescription I take... I guess I need to try cutting it out...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

Sitting in a Dr office one hour past my appointment time elevates my BP.
    Call me back before I set in a waiting room full of sick people and all's well.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I didn't watch the video but if your diastolic bp is consistently over 80/90 it would be a good idea to try to lower that number. Hypertension, like diabetes, is a silent killer. You don't feel bad until you feel bad. Once you feel bad it could have progressed to a level that potentially has caused other conditions that are difficult to reverse/ fix.

When you take your blood pressure it is your pressure at that moment in time. That's why you should take readings over time to get an idea of an avg value. One reading of 150/110 may not be anything. But consistent high readings should be addressed IMO.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    While the automatic sphygmomanometers will gave a general range, I personally don't feel they are all that accurate. Nothing beats a real sphygmomanometer and a stethoscope. Just wrapping it on someone's arm and hitting the button is not the way it's supposed to be done.. It is still supposed to be positioned over the brachial artery in your arm with the mark on the cuff. It should never be placed over a sleeve, just your bare arm. It allows the staff more time to do other work and gives it in a ball park figure. Anything considered high should be double checked the old fashioned and way more accurate way.

Medical professionals being lazy and not doing things correctly is one of my biggest pet peeves......

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My livelihood for the past 35+ years is making pressure measuring and controlling instruments. Most automatic sphygmomanometers are probably close enough. My wife is a dental hygienist and she takes blood pressure the old fashioned way with a cuff and a stethoscope. Personally - I haven't seen much difference.

As a metrologist though, f'king "inches of mercury" drive me nuts. It's a manometric unit that is density related and is dependant on lots of factors. I have too many conversion factors in my head. 1 psi = 2.03602 inches of mercury at 0 deg. C. Don't even get me started about Pascals 6894.757/psi. gaah - yes, I'm a nerd.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Mine is below 120/80 except when I'm in pain. Every time I've been in the ER or hospital with pain, mine will run 160 to over 200. I'm then asked how long I've had high blood pressure and why I'm not any medication. It's the pain!! I recently spent 4 days in the hospital and it became annoying to constantly explain to the rotating medical personnel. It seems like a foreign concept to them - pain can increase blood pressure.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

I had a surgery a couple years ago and it was 185/115. I’m now on a med.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Pretty much all the various "normal" levels have been lowered, from BP to various blood test levels. Medical profession trying to scare people into being more healthy.

Doc put me on BP medicine years ago. Ended up with various side effects and some were very painful. They came on slowly, so I did not really associate them with the meds. New doc took me off the BP meds. BP has been fine to very good every since, all the side effects went away.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I have the white coat syndrome, always have. In fact I take regular readings at home and bring my machine to the doctor to show him. I even take readings after bike rides. I told my doctor if you want me to take medicine I will, he said no I didn't have to. Yet when I go any doctor, dentist it will be high. I've given up about worrying about it. At my age I might be better off in heaven anyway with the way the world is going.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

I have the white coat syndrome, always have.
    To validate my white coat syndrome to the doctor, I sat in my vehicle and took my BP in the parking lot at the clinic. It was 138/72. 20 Minutes later I showed him the reading and time date stamp. Then I took my BP right there in his office using the same wrist monitor and it showed 168/78.

Top Bottom