• Total voters

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    It's a cool gun but I'd never have a practical reason to own one.
    Wow, you need a practical reason to own a gun! :facepalm: I'd probably not own at least half of mine if that was the case with me.

You need to go to more guns shows, firearms auctions, pawn shops and gun stores with lots of cash, buy some impractical guns, then to the range with lots of ammo for whatever impractical guns you bought and just have fun. :rolleyes:
    Hurley's Gold

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I don't own one but would like a 94 carbine or trapper model. Preferably a 30-30 but .357/.38spl would be cool too. My brother had a Marlin 336 that he's taken quite a few pigs with. He prefers to use his FNAR for pigs but will use the Marlin for old times sake.

USOffRoad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Granbury, Texas
    So... several years ago me and some of my life long buddies were sitting around a campfire talking about the 30-30, they all own 30-30's, which, growing up in Abilene, was known to be THE 'best brush gun' to hunt with. It dawned on me that it was a bit odd I'd never bought one. Fast forward a few months and I see a Mossy 464 SPX on one of the gun auction sites. I thought it was the ugliest gun I'd ever seen and instantly wanted one. I placed a bid, figured it would be outbid and walked out of the door to go to dinner with my wife. An hour later my phone dings and yup.. I won it, 'well crap'.

It's a great shooting gun that I've kept as is, no optics or light and what not, the collapsible stock makes for easy storage/carry and the KISS design, like all 30's, makes it rock simple reliable. It's what I threw in the truck when we escaped to a lake house at the beginning of the covid lockdown (along with a couple of Sigs).

I call it my RAR... Redneck Assault Rifle. :)

2012-07-28_14-46-17_668.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-07-28_14-46-17_668.jpg
      2012-07-28_14-46-17_668.jpg
      831 KB · Views: 353

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    No problem, I will leave. But I still own a .30-30 and I will continue to say it is a boring caliber to shoot, easy to reload, and honestly no longer the best...

It's funny how "offended" fudds get, you cannot deny that there are much better rifles for hunting in 2020.
    True there are lots of calibers out there, however a 30-30 in a lever gun is classic. All calibers have their place. I would not use my 30-30 lever gun for pronghorns at 300 yards, it is not built for that. But in heavy brush or timber scenario that combo is hard to beat. A .300 mag is a bit much for deer at 50 yards in the brush.

Hboy35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2017
    College Station
    I own several 30-30s and regret selling every one that I had back in the 80s. Back then, I would go to a gun show with around $150 to look for something interesting. If I didnt find anything, I would go find a Winchester 94 and could usually walk away with one for around $150. I bought a couple for $100 each that had lost most of their finish on their receivers. I would love to be able to go back now and get a few dozen at that price.

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I have always been partial to Marlin lever guns because of the reliability and side eject. I owned a 44 mag years ago. Currently i own a 357 mag with a 16 inch barrel that goes with me almost everywhere when I am out on my land. I also have a 30 30 with a 24 inch barrel and scope. Both have dispatched many a feral hog.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

It's a GOOD PLAN to watch bulletin boards at apartment houses & other similar places for DEALS on rifles/shotguns.

I saw an ad on a local apartment bulletin board just after Christmas for a "Deer Rifle for Sale". - I called the phone number & the woman who answered said that it was still for sale for 100.oo cash.

I asked her what kind of rifle that it was & she said, " Marlin 336T is on the gun".

I bought the rifle (which had belonged to her uncle) & gave it to my cousin for his 23rd birthday. = Tom was PLEASED.

yours, satx

Razorback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Winchester 94 Trapper .30-30
    Pretty handy walk/hunter in the rain under a poncho. And just a perfect truck gun.

Top Bottom