Votes: 14 7.4%
    • What's a 30-30?

Votes: 23 12.2%

• Total voters

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have had a couple, A Winchester 94 and a Marlin 336 straight stock model. The Marlin was better. Son has one, the other went to McBride's in a long-ago deal. Sorry I don't still have the Marlin; it was dead-on at 100 yards, my first center-fire rifle. I took it to the range, fired 10 rounds into a 6" group, prone, unsupported, no glass. Took the target to an Old WWII Vet Texan and asked were it good enough for Texas deer hunting. He thought I was being a smart-ass, but my question was very sincere. I've since owned scoped rifles which would have a hard time duplicating that. BTW, those rifles are no longer available new at $99 prices. Too soon old, too late smart ! leVieux

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    55D1DCCE-2CD4-46A4-BB45-5E61D1535FDD.jpeg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Do you shoot subs? Or does that can make much difference with supers?
    The Hornady Sub-X have proven themselves to be underwhelming in their performance. See this thread from last year.

The 170gr Hi-Shok rounds are very quiet and have proven to be effective at 150 yards.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Growing up, I shot a pre-64 Model 94 Winchester in 30-30, that my Dad bought a year after I was born. I didn't even know what a scoped bolt action rifle was until I was 15 years old. That rifle was stolen out of the back of my truck, when the whole parking lot of the place I worked was vandalized. There were 106 vehicles and not a single one was missed. Three vehicles were actually stolen. It was on the night shift 10pm - 6am. I was sick to my stomach since I had just picked it up from a gunsmith who replaced a broken firing pin in it. Was planning on hunting with it that weekend. The hardest part was telling my Dad who had given it to me on my 10th birthday. I have another Winchester today, given to me by my sons on my 55th birthday. Its not a pre-64 but it shoots as good as that one did. In the Texas brush, it is one of the most effective guns around. Unfortunately I only have 1 box of shells left. Hard to find and extremely expensive when you do.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A Marlin 30-30 was my first deer rifle and I couldn't wait to move up to a bolt action in anything that wasn't a 30-30!
    I wanted something with a scope that was faster-than-fast! I hunted with, and hand loaded for, 25/06 for years!
    How times change!
    The only rifles I've hunted deer with in the last ten years are 30/30 and 35 Remington!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    The Hornady Sub-X have proven themselves to be underwhelming in their performance. See this thread from last year.

The 170gr Hi-Shok rounds are very quiet and have proven to be effective at 150 yards.
    That's a shame. I was going to roll my own though.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I've got 12 more days left of being "under 40" - yes, I have a .30-30. I like the gun, I like the round. I haven't killed anything other than gophers with it.

Top Bottom