• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sreyemj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2020
    San Antonio
    I do for most stuff. Quality one piece mounts like bobro didn't seem to need it (lapping tool had even contact on the rings.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    On my very first scope, Leupold VX3 set in Leupold rings, I didn't. End result was crimped tube. Ever since I lap them all. It's amazing how out of tolerance a lot of rings are. No sense taking a chance with expensive optics.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Alright...from the point of view of machining: it depends on your base. simple as that.

As long as you run a one piece machined base and your rings are machined, you don’t need to do anything. Your base becomes your datum. Because of this your machined rings will be aligned for your scope body.

it’s really only recommended you check your rings to see how concentric they are on a two piece base.

in regards to how much surface area your rings grab onto well that just goes back to buy good rings.

hope that helps y’all.

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm running wern rings on the wife's Mossberg, vortex on the kids Ruger, and utg pro on my Ruger. The UTG was pretty even. The vortex rings are the ones that came with the scope on the rifle and needed a little more work. The wern are verticle split so I don't think I can do those.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Rings for the most part are machined fairly true. But then factor in the bases, then the bases attached to the firearm. It's called stacking tolerances, I believe is the correct term.

For most shooters, and hunters, lapping the rings probably isn't required or needed, but it doesn't hurt to do it, or have it done.

It's actually a pretty easy procedure to do, and really doesn't required a lot of special equipment to do the job. The only special tool I use is the torque screwdriver.

The ones that gain the most benefit of lapped rings are those that shoot long range and precision shooting.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    If you buy a quality 1pc base and quality rings you shouldn't need to lap the rings. The base must set completely flat on your action,if it doesn't,then the base will need to be bedded to the action.
    Rings like the Burris Signature Zee rings are great rings to use. They have plastic inserts that allow any small alignment issues be corrected without damaging the scope tube,and they also will never leave ring marks on the scope.

All of my high end 34mm and 40mm tubed scopes set in ARC M10 rings. They are the best rings made,IMO. They aren't cheap,$180 a set,but that's cheap insurance when you're mounting a $1500 - $4000 scope on top of a rifle.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If you buy a quality 1pc base and quality rings you shouldn't need to lap the rings. The base must set completely flat on your action,if it doesn't,then the base will need to be bedded to the action.
    Rings like the Burris Signature Zee rings are great rings to use. They have plastic inserts that allow any small alignment issues be corrected without damaging the scope tube,and they also will never leave ring marks on the scope.

All of my high end 34mm and 40mm tubed scopes set in ARC M10 rings. They are the best rings made,IMO. They aren't cheap,$180 a set,but that's cheap insurance when you're mounting a $1500 - $4000 scope on top of a rifle.

I think the more expensive, (read higher quality.) rings and bases, the less the tolerance stacking becomes an issue. Possibly they are using better tooling to manufacture those rings and bases, also make less of them than some of the more mass produced common brands, so tooling isn't wearing at a quicker rate. Plus they are very possibly holding to tighter tolerances than many of the lower cost rings and bases.

Jeff Fox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Huntsville
    Lapping will get more contact surface between scope and rings. Probably not needed for rifles below 300 WM. Big bore rifles are another matter.

Top Bottom