• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I found myself in a discussion about scopes, rings, and lapping over the holidays. It made my curious how many people actually lap rings?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I lapped warne, vortex, and utg rings and they were all about the same. I'd say less than 20% contact with the UTG and vortex out of the box. I got it to 70% or so and called it good. The warne was a little better out of the box but I still hate them.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Rings are only part of the equation, btw. Put a set of $200 rings on a box stock rifle, and chances are pretty darn good they won’t be in perfect alignment.
    Seems everything from a mid level leupy mk4 to a premier/tangent or schmidt have never had a problem. Maybe I'm doing it wrong........

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Rings are only part of the equation, btw. Put a set of $200 rings on a box stock rifle, and chances are pretty darn good they won’t be in perfect alignment.

Both rugers were hardly a hair off perfect with their 1-piece bases. The 2-piece Mossberg base was off a hair more but even then it was only slightly off. I used the alignment bars to get it perfect as well though. Honestly I was surprised it wasn't worse from the factory. Mossberg must have someone with the right tools setting up their 2-piece bases.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    What is the purpose of lapping the rings. The reticle is gonna be where the reticle is.
    Prevents uneven pressure from being applied to the scope tube. A scope tube that is stressed and distorted will never track true, and be much harder to sight in and make repetitive adjustments.
    No problem I suppose if you are going to sight your rifle in one time and never touch the turrets again.
    If you plan to dial for wind or elevation, going to be hard to do with a scope that doesn’t track.
    In addition, as has been alluded to previously, it increases the clamping force by ensuring even contact across the full surface of the rings.

Top Bottom