Guns International

Do we have any land clearers in the house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Yep! Mesquite is a challenge to keep it controlled.

Luckily there isn't any east of the Trinity river.

Says who? Van Zandt Co has plenty.

The guy that took down a large oak for me said to drill a bunch of 1" holes in the stump and fill them full of diesel. He said the stump would be gone in a year. Did I do it, nope. If I had the stump would be gone by now. It's only 36" across.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

The guy that took down a large oak for me said to drill a bunch of 1" holes in the stump and fill them full of diesel. He said the stump would be gone in a year. Did I do it, nope. If I had the stump would be gone by now. It's only 36" across.
    I heard diesel & brush killer combined.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Someone probably planted them there, and like any other invasive plant, they take over. But they are not naturally occurring east of the trinity river.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Feel free to read up on mesquite trees if you feel what I said is BS. There are over 40 different species of them. Many of them are considered invasive species, and in Texas they are mostly naturally occurring in the southwestern part of the state.

Instead of reading about them just take a trip east of the Trinity and see for yourself. It is obvious to me that your source of information about mesquite trees is incorrect. And that BS about someone planting them here is just that, BS.

My land is located east of the Trinity and has been in my family for more than 75 years and I have lived on it for 67 years. I do know a little about mesquite trees here.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Instead of reading about them just take a trip east of the Trinity and see for yourself. It is obvious to me that your source of information about mesquite trees is incorrect. And that BS about someone planting them here is just that, BS.

My land is located east of the Trinity and has been in my family for more than 75 years and I have lived on it for 67 years. I do know a little about mesquite trees here.

FYI, I don't need to take a trip east of the Trinity river, since I live east of it! Also FYI my family settled in this part of East Texas over 160 years ago. Also have been up and down many parts of the Trinity river over the years.

Maybe instead of calling BS, maybe you should brush up on your biology and botany a little. 67 years, is not even a moment in time when talking about plants and trees and how the grow and evolve.

But you have yourself a nice day!

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Look, it real simple. Mesquite is everywhere. It ain't going away. Just like roaches, or a crazy ex, they'll be here after the nuclear holocaust.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have some small mesquites on my place that I need to get rid of. Does anyone know what I can put on the stumps to keep them from coming back? And do I need to wait until spring to cut them?

I wish that I had an easy way to dig them up.

I used 'Remedy' to kill them a few years ago and it worked well. Now I have some that have recently come up. Most of them are small enough to cut with pruning shears. I plan to cut them and put something on the stump to keep them from coming back. I will probably use 'Remedy' unless someone knows of something else that I should use.

I agree with RR.

Spray the small ones with remedy just after they get leaves back. I think we mixed in diesel as well. Will double check this afternoon if I remember. It takes a while for them to die. Let them sit until they are good a dry, then they can be scraped away using either a bucket or box blade on a tractor.

You probably won’t be scraping them away until late summer/fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I’ve got some Triclopyr I’m going to try on some Honey Locust stumps.

Some people confuse Honey Locust for Mesquite. I’m not saying there are no Mesquites east of the Trinity, but I suspect some people may be seeing Honey Locust and assuming it is Mesquite because of the thorns.

I’ve also got some Prickly Ash trees, also known as Hercules Club. They have little “warts” all over them and each wart has a needle-like thorn at the end. Evil little bastards.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    FYI, I don't need to take a trip east of the Trinity river, since I live east of it! Also FYI my family settled in this part of East Texas over 160 years ago. Also have been up and down many parts of the Trinity river over the years.

Maybe in your little world, east of the trinity, there are no mesquites or perhaps you are unable to recognize them. But it doesn't matter either way, the fact remains that your statement "... there isn't any east of the Trinity river", is wrong.

Maybe instead of calling BS, maybe you should brush up on your biology and botany a little. 67 years, is not even a moment in time when talking about plants and trees and how the grow and evolve.

But you have yourself a nice day!

Maybe instead of you making yourself look foolish you should limit your discussions to things that you actually know about.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
      giphy.gif
      599.5 KB · Views: 537

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Sure looks like someone got a mesquite thorn stuck in their backside!.

I guess Roadrunner that feel you must be right, and to try and bully the new guy. Okay, your right, and I'm wrong. You feel better?

I'm not going to argue with you over it, but you're not going to bully me either.

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Have you tried this yourself? If so, do you mix the salt and diesel or apply them separately?

I apply a mound of salt on / around the stump,then pour diesel on it. Let it soak in for a week or two,and repeat. It takes several months for the stump and root system to die. Then I burn it,

Top Bottom