ARJ Defense ad

Do we have any land clearers in the house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    My SIL does that for a living. Let me know if you want his contact info.

ETA: I don't think a 10" tree would be a problem for his equipment.

If your SIL can do work in the Wylie/Rockwall/Royse City area, I’d like to talk to him about clearing some hackberry and cedar elms in a pasture. I also need some pond repair work done if he does that type of work.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Just a few months ago, we hired a man with a dedicated forestry machine to clear and reclaim some pastures, mainly of elm and cedar. Two days, @ 8 hours a day cost $1800. He cleared close to 15 acres. And there are no brush piles to burn either. By this summer, we will be able to disc it, and replant hay on it again.

It was money well spent.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Just a few months ago, we hired a man with a dedicated forestry machine to clear and reclaim some pastures, mainly of elm and cedar. Two days, @ 8 hours a day cost $1800. He cleared close to 15 acres. And there are no brush piles to burn either. By this summer, we will be able to disc it, and replant hay on it again.

It was money well spent.
    Sounds like the type of equipment we hired on a job a few years ago. Company had a trackhoe with an attachment that mulched trees while they were still standing.

Nothing left when they were done.

Money well spent.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Sounds like the type of equipment we hired on a job a few years ago. Company had a trackhoe with an attachment that mulched trees while they were still standing.

Nothing left when they were done.

Money well spent.

There are several types of attachments of the forestry equipment. The common is the one that attaches to skid steer.

They also make various sizes of dedicated forestry machines. People wonder why they charge as much as they do per hour, they should price the equipment! They are very expensive pieces of equipment, as well as needing lots daily maintainance, and repair parts are expensive to boot.

But time and money that would be spent over six months to a year, clearing land, they actually are very cost effectives ways of clearing land. Usually you can brush hog over the areas immediately, and disc up the soil in about six months to year, depending on the stumps below ground rotting.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    There are several types of attachments of the forestry equipment. The common is the one that attaches to skid steer.

They also make various sizes of dedicated forestry machines. People wonder why they charge as much as they do per hour, they should price the equipment! They are very expensive pieces of equipment, as well as needing lots daily maintainance, and repair parts are expensive to boot.

But time and money that would be spent over six months to a year, clearing land, they actually are very cost effectives ways of clearing land. Usually you can brush hog over the areas immediately, and disc up the soil in about six months to year, depending on the stumps below ground rotting.
    Unless it's Mesquite. Then it grows right back from the stump.
    With more thorns than before.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    That beast of a machine my SIL brought over I think he said was over $100 grand. I rode with him to pick up a part once and almost fell out over the price.

It was a little bracket maybe 10" long made from roughly 10ga steel with about a 3" piece of pipe welded on and four holes drilled in it. Told him give that back I'll build you one for half that price and still make a killin'.

He's got a huge dump trailer, all the grapples and blades and buckets... Had to buy a new truck and trailer just to haul that stuff.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Unless it's Mesquite. Then it grows right back from the stump.
    With more thorns than before.

I have some small mesquites on my place that I need to get rid of. Does anyone know what I can put on the stumps to keep them from coming back? And do I need to wait until spring to cut them?

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I'll be experimenting this spring.
    Till then, I'm digging them up.

I wish that I had an easy way to dig them up.

I used 'Remedy' to kill them a few years ago and it worked well. Now I have some that have recently come up. Most of them are small enough to cut with pruning shears. I plan to cut them and put something on the stump to keep them from coming back. I will probably use 'Remedy' unless someone knows of something else that I should use.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Ive watched a few vids to get rid of stumps. Other than grinding or pulling them up, ive seen drilling 1" holes about 5-6" deep & fill with Epsom salt, slighly water & cover. Repeat as necessary... it will eventually dry out & rot.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Ive watched a few vids to get rid of stumps. Other than grinding or pulling them up, ive seen drilling 1" holes about 5-6" deep & fill with Epsom salt, slighly water & cover. Repeat as necessary... it will eventually dry out & rot.

Sent you a PM

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have some small mesquites on my place that I need to get rid of. Does anyone know what I can put on the stumps to keep them from coming back? And do I need to wait until spring to cut them?
    Rock salt and diesel. Not only will it kill that stump, but it will kill all the little mesquites around it too.

Top Bottom