Texas SOT

Do we have any land clearers in the house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I was wondering if we had any members that do land clearing?
    Im about to get 13 acres untouched land about an hour south of Dallas im going to need some areas cleared. Mainly a 200' × 200' area where the house would go. Most the trees are under 10", but there are a few bigger ones that would need to be taken out. The selected trees the wife wants would end up staying.

Post up if you got some equipment that needs to be put to use. Im not looking for free, but maybe a brother in law deal :green:
    Guns International

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    No BIL but there is a couple of local guys in this area that do that if it comes down to it.

Holla.

I was gunna check around up there too. Just looking around the net for a rental forestry mulcher on a skid steer... they're going for $1k-2k a day just to rent. :facepalm:
    I do have access to a skid steer, just got to pay gas & maintenance for it. Im going to get a MTL XC7 mulcher head for it... about $5k new, so that will help out for the smaller stuff... yaupon holly etc. But still gunna have to clear some bigger stuff.

Might be a local timber company that does it in the area.

I considered that as well. But theres not much pine... mainly some hard woods spread out among the smaller stuff.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Gotta run livestock or grow hay. Its the rules up here.

How do you think everyone can afford it. AG EXEMPTION!

I heard ...not sure how true...lol.
    That if you have feeders out you can get an ag exempt?
    We plan on putting some kind of critters out for ag... just not sure what. Maybe goats at first to clear stuff out :p

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    We plan on putting some kind of critters out for ag... just not sure what. Maybe goats at first to clear stuff out :p

For goats you will need good fences, which aren’t cheap. I’ve heard a goat guy say build the best fence you can. Then throw a bucket of water at it. If the water goes through it, so will a goat. :laughing:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I've been through all that fun. Ag exemption criteria (acreage requirements, types of animals allowed & number of each required) vary by county. Check your county appraisal district website & see if they have the info posted. You probably want a 1-d1 Ag appraisal IIRC. They will come out & inspect your place.

You may want a wildlife exemption instead.

If you start a solo proprietorship ranch business then ranch-related expenses can be business expenses (including clearing land) which helps on your taxes. You can also avoid sales taxes on certain items if you're registered for an ag exemption with the Texas comptroller.

You can do everything I just listed without a lawyer. It's a little tedious but doable.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    My SIL does that for a living. Let me know if you want his contact info.

ETA: I don't think a 10" tree would be a problem for his equipment.

Top Bottom