• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Has anybody from El Paso visited a range called the DLF shooting range near Chaparral, NM? I will be moving to the El Paso area next month and started looking at places to train. This one seems like a possibility. Attached is an image of the google maps search I did.

FDD265AD-5EB8-44AC-B772-EE0BB6DED861.png
    Texas SOT

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    welcome.

what part of el paso are you moving to?

i'm on the NW side so I shoot on some off highway land known as "the wall" that's 5 min from where I live.

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    If you are looking for an open range, there are definitely other places that will work too.

I agree with Tonelar, which part of town are you moving to?
    The West side and East sides of town have a few good areas.

There are a few trap/skeet ranges here too if the shotgun is your thing.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Thanks y’all. I’m moving to the Anthony area. I suppose that would be North West?

Yep, looking for an open area to shoot. I’ll look into the wall.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    mongoose,
    i tried contacting them using info on their web page (i got no response).
    i thought membership was $100… i could be mistaken.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    mongoose,
    i tried contacting them using info on their web page (i got no response).
    i thought membership was $100… i could be mistaken.
    Dues may have gone up again. I haven’t paid any in a few years as I qualified as a life time member after paying dues for 25 years. Email has my best form of communication with the. Or, just go up on Sunday or We’d. as I believe those a Maych days and someone will be there.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    Butterfield in Las Cruces is very well kept, free, and safe. I go to the desert on the east side of town. Very private and tons of space to shoot far away from others. Ft Bliss Gun and Rod Club is also a good option. Not sure what yearly dues are like but single visit for a civilian last time I went was like $17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Butterfield in Las Cruces is very well kept, free, and safe. I go to the desert on the east side of town. Very private and tons of space to shoot far away from others. Ft Bliss Gun and Rod Club is also a good option. Not sure what yearly dues are like but single visit for a civilian last time I went was like $17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recommend ElPaso Gun club for it’s proximity to Anthony. The ones you mentioned are on the opposite side of the Mountain and a fair drive with these fuel prices. I’ve gone to a few desert areas that were fine. However, you. Need to bring your own table or mat. You also have to put up with all the idiots that show up.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I’ll check those recommendations out. I don’t tend to shoot at private ranges much do to the unfavorable view of things like drawing from concealment, shooting steel, and moving.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I’ll check those recommendations out. I don’t tend to shoot at private ranges much do to the unfavorable view of things like drawing from concealment, shooting steel, and moving.
    I usually go in the early morning on a weekday and illy usually have the range to my self. Might. Hange as Summer progresses.

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Check out the El Paso Gun Club. It is just East of the Anthony exit. I think they charge 36.00 a year. It is a Private club that only allows members and occasional guest.
    Mongoose is correct.
    This place is very nice and a good fit based on your location.
    Here is the weblink to the place:

According to the website, it is open to the public on Wednesdays and Sundays but is primarily for members only.
    I have been there a couple of times and it is a good place. Well worth $36 or $100 per year either way IMO.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I have arrived to El Paso and gotten my feet under me. Today was spent checking out the DLF area and man is it trashy…lots of garbage everywhere. Very much in need of some clean up.

The El Paso Gun and Marksmanship range looks good. It is close enough that I ran to it the morning the other day. I still need to check it out to see how they feel about drawing from concealment, moving, and steel targets.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Never had anyone give me flack over drawing ( I’m usually alone). Never have seen moving targets. Need to shoot cast at steel.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Thank you for the information and good copy on the no flack for drawing. With regard to the movement, it would be me moving, not the target. I’m not sure how they would feel about that. With regard to the cast for steel, that means cast lead right?

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Thank you for the information and good copy on the no flack for drawing. With regard to the movement, it would be me moving, not the target. I’m not sure how they would feel about that. With regard to the cast for steel, that means cast lead right?
    Yes, I generally go at off times. Someone may be on the rifle range, but rarely on the pistol also.

Top Bottom