• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLMcC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    I didn't get the Veteran label on my DL because I didn't know about the option until after I was at the counter and didn't have my DD214 with me. I figured I'd never really been asked for an ID so I could get any sort of a discount so no big deal, I'll just do it next time.

I was at Cavenders yesterday picking up a new pair of boots and a couple of shirts. The cashier asked me if I was in the Marines (likely due to my ball cap that said so). Then she said, "can you prove it?"

Having never been asked that before I just stared at her for a second and said what? She said if you can prove you're a vet I can give you a 10% discount. I renewed my CHL earlier this year and the new LTC is stamped Veteran on it, so I pulled that out and showed it to her and said this says I'm a Vet.

She didn't even bat an eye. Just looked at it like it was any other form of ID, said that works, and gave me a 10% discount.

Anyone know of other stores that offer a discount for non-active or non-retired Vets? I kinda like getting those discounts.
    I was reading an article about EDC favorites for pocketknives and came across a Spyderco that looked "attractive" to my pocketknife habit. One thing led to another and I was on the manufacturer's website which has what they term an OpFocus Discount for those who serve(d) ...50% off MSRP on all eligible products. It sure pays to perform the search for "military discounts" (or LE, Fire, EMT, etc) before putting anything in an online checkout. I likes me some discounts; the bigger the better!

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I hadn't really used my USMC ID for years, after I got a Vet. Loan, until I went to Lowes one time, and they asked for it, in the past they asked if I was a Vet and I said yes, and the applied the discount. My wife says I look like I was in the military, as I stand up straight, but I hadn't thought about my posture until then.

Lowe's applied it to may account, and if asked, they just computer-verified.
    On Lowe's Web site, it says I am already verified.

I dropped my DD-214, and DD-265 for my LTC Vet.-discount, my wife doesn't know where her documentation is, so I paid full price for her LTC...

I now keep a copy of my DD-214 and DD-256 on my phone, just in case.
    The ONE THING GOOD under Obama's watch, is that Vets started getting discounts everywhere...

With my T-Mobile service, I got a HELL-OF-A-DISCOUNT on 4-lines of service with the Vet. Discount.
    (The Grandfathered .MIL/Vet plan is PER PHONE: 50GB of data, unlimited talk/text, and 40GB of tether, so I am not changing plans anytime soon, I'll pay full-price for phones, if needed, to stay on THIS plan!!!
    ~$160 total for 4 phones, vs. ~$220 for a currently-lesser plan... nope, I'll stick it out...)

My last Academy order, I got a 10% discount on an ammo purchase.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Just got an email that magpul is offering military discounts now

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Looks like Vets too...
    Maybe it's time for me to try some longevity tests with plastic mags, for a change?

Then again, I have plenty of metal mags, but what the heck, I might get like 5 and see how they compare vs. OKAY's Surefeeds...

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I was shopping for some light bulbs at HD when a nice lady appeared from nowhere and asked if she could help. I've been buying light bulbs entire life so almost said no thanks, but something about her made me say maybe. I thought they were all the same, only difference being stuff like 40, 60, 100 watts. She began showing me different bulbs for the ceiling fan, lamps and for bathroom where she said my wife prolly puts on her make-up, and demo each one under some test light thing. I said was interested so she began writing on package what each was for, then walked me over to the cash register and asked if I was a veteran and gave me the discount, no proof needed. My wife was stunned at my sudden "new found intelligence". I kept going back and never saw her again but never saw from where she came from either to begin with. Never can find anyone to wait on me at HD and she appears ??

Anyway, just about every place will give the military discount if you ask. Most give a "senior discount" automatically w/o asking unless you're a woman and are told to never do it automatically, they will tell you and do not ask for ID, period.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I always get a vet discount at Home Depot. Sometimes they ask me if I'm a vet but most of the time they don't ask. When i'm asked i say yes and no one has ever asked for any kind of I D.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    That's how it used to work at my local HD.

NO longer and they won't even look at a DD214.

So, I guess it's up to the store manager to set the Vet discount policy.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I always get a vet discount at Home Depot. Sometimes they ask me if I'm a vet but most of the time they don't ask. When i'm asked i say yes and no one has ever asked for any kind of I D.
    Home Depot discount can easily be done if you have their app on your phone. Go to account, military discount, they send you a QR code and you can scan on self checkout or regular checkout. QR code changes each time so you need a new one each purchase. Lets you get the discount if you do a self checkout whereas showing your drivers license requires a wait in line. Lowes sent me a member card which I can scan on self checkout. All this saves sales tax plus. Lowes apparently no longer discounts big charge items.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Home Depot discount can easily be done if you have their app on your phone. Go to account, military discount, they send you a QR code and you can scan on self checkout or regular checkout. QR code changes each time so you need a new one each purchase. Lets you get the discount if you do a self checkout whereas showing your drivers license requires a wait in line. Lowes sent me a member card which I can scan on self checkout. All this saves sales tax plus. Lowes apparently no longer discounts big charge items.
    I was pricing an item online at Lowes over the weekend. I had the item in the cart and noticed the $200+ item had a military discount of $2.
    The 10% discount didn't apply as the item was on sale. I went on the Home Depot site which had a similar price and actually gave 10% discount.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I served from 1965 to 1968 Army. Back then we didn’t get “ID” cards upon discharge. All I have is my DD214 and my VA hospital ID. How do I get approved for Home Depot or Lowes?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I served from 1965 to 1968 Army. Back then we didn’t get “ID” cards upon discharge. All I have is my DD214 and my VA hospital ID. How do I get approved for Home Depot or Lowes?

The HD website is bullshit. It takes so long to load (15+ minutes) it's not even worth fucking with. The last several times I went to HD they didn't even ask for it. Just show them your VA card.

Lowes requires you to show proof of service and register at the register. After that you can use your phone number every time you ask for the discount.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

In store at HD, just ask for the discount and show your VA card if asked. Online, follow the instructions here:

Lowes tends to be less friendly in store if you don’t have their app or haven’t signed up online.

Top Bottom