• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txDavidtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2019
    Houston
    Hi,

I am planing to remove the gunpowder from a collection of bullets... and then sell them as decorative sets...

Is there anyone doing this kind of things? how can I go about this... and is there any particular law about reselling bullets this way?

Thanks for any tips or ideas about this... I am new to this and I have seeing people in this forums are really knowledgeable and helpful.
    Target Sports

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    First thing it will depend on the size of the ammo your breaking down. A kinetic bullet works great & generally does not leave marks on the bullet. Most collet type puller will leave marks on the bullet.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Welcome to TGT.

I agree with the others recommending just buying new componants. Not only is it cheaper but pulling bullets sucks.

Why do you want to disassembled ammo to do this?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Welcome to TGT

+1 for purchasing the bullets and casing from reloading suppliers rather than disassembling live rounds. Safer by far.
    +2

I worked in the Ammo business for a few years...gonna tell you this Pilgrim it is a dangerous game. When it comes to retrofitting bullets it's done by a machine extracting the bullet inside a large box full of steam IIRC this is to prevent explosions from sparks.

Sparks and static electricity are NOT your friends. I came to work and put on a set of flameproof coveralls, then I put on special shoes with electrical conducting soles. Then I attached to each leg over the top of the sock on the skin a conducting strap and had a lead that went down and wrapped around my shoes with the conducting soles.

Since you will be working on a table, then buy your self a large static electric conducting mat to work on and it will have a lead to can attach to a metal leg or metal strap on your table. Do work on the carpet. You should also buy an anti-static fluid you can spray on things. TIP: Save some coin and use a liquid clothes softener in a spray bottle, mix in about 50/50 clothes softener to water, works GREAT!

You will need a container for the extracted powder: This is a challenge for you because what do you do with it? We burned ours that I know, but not sure of the handling aspect as I did not work with that group.

Suggest a common Ice chest, plastic some cheap brand, holds water, dump you extracted powder into it. It will dissolve and you can take the mixture and spread out across a garden or yard.

Stay safe!

Last edited:

txDavidtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2019
    Houston
    Hi all thanks for the welcome messages and for the advise, here few points about questions that where asked and the so:
    @baboon "First thing it will depend on the size of the ammo your breaking down"
    Here the full list:
    .357 Magnum
    38 Special
    Remington .45
    9mm JHP
    9mm FMJ
    7.62x51mm NATO 149 grain

@baboon "A kinetic bullet works great & generally does not leave marks on the bullet"
    Thanks for the advise, marks is definitely a no, this are meant as decorations and they should look good.

@busykngt "Why not just order yourself some bullets (reloading supplies) and that way, you don’t have to take apart a completed cartridge?"

I had not idea you can buy them dissembled already, this is great, will research to see if can find the calibers I am looking for.

@RedArmy I don't know what pressing out a live primer is, the link looks promising will be searching for my bullets there, thanks for helping me.
    @Dawico "Why do you want to disassembled ammo to do this?"

I work on marketing for other people, I am trying to start my own business, after some research it looks like the topic of gangsters and criminals is popular with a sector of the young population, I am planing to sell printed t-shirts, hoodies, caps... and so on with this kind of "offensive" message... as part of the concept to stand out over competition I am coming with a list of favorite bullets of some gangsters (also optional bullets that killed famous gangsters... and so on, there is many different ways to spin this idea). I am presuming some of my costumers will be teenagers that want to fell edgy, but I don't want to ship to them real bullets.

@Ole Cowboy "Sparks and static electricity are NOT your friends"

Wow.... I din't though about this... that is definitely something for me to consider. Why you disarm bullets? apparently the way to go is buying them already separated... Thanks for all the tips on how to do this in case this is the route I go for.... why is good idea to spread gunpowder on the ground?

Thanks again everybody for the welcoming messages and the good info.

txDavidtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2019
    Houston
    @TheMailMan I just saw you message... Yes I will be researching this method, this definitely save me some steps, don't rick to damage the product, don't risk an accident... and apparently also cheaper this way... I will see if my list of bullets is available, I think one of the bullets in my list is not longer being manufactured... but that is something I will deal with latter, here I have plenty to think about already...

Also no idea if it is legal to sell them and ship them like that... LOL.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Here the full list:
    .357 Magnum
    38 Special
    Remington .45
    9mm JHP
    9mm FMJ
    7.62x51mm NATO 149 grain

You should be able to find reloading supplies for everything on this list. You only need a bullet and casing. You should under no circumstances need to disassemble live ammunition for this kind of project.

If you are planning to make these look as though they are live ammunition, you will need a press to insert the bullet into the empty casing.

Even if any of these were no longer made, purchasing the remaining stock of live ammunition, purchasing and learning how to properly disassemble live ammunition safely and dispose of the primers and gun powder would probably eat significantly into your profits and slow down production drastically.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Hi all thanks for the welcome messages and for the advise, here few points about questions that where asked and the so:
    Here the full list:
    .357 Magnum
    38 Special
    Remington .45
    9mm JHP
    9mm FMJ
    7.62x51mm NATO 149 grain

@baboon "A kinetic bullet works great & generally does not leave marks on the bullet"
    Thanks for the advise, marks is definitely a no, this are meant as decorations and they should look good.

@busykngt "Why not just order yourself some bullets (reloading supplies) and that way, you don’t have to take apart a completed cartridge?"

I had not idea you can buy them dissembled already, this is great, will research to see if can find the calibers I am looking for.

@RedArmy I don't know what pressing out a live primer is, the link looks promising will be searching for my bullets there, thanks for helping me.
    @Dawico "Why do you want to disassembled ammo to do this?"

I work on marketing for other people, I am trying to start my own business, after some research it looks like the topic of gangsters and criminals is popular with a sector of the young population, I am planing to sell printed t-shirts, hoodies, caps... and so on with this kind of "offensive" message... as part of the concept to stand out over competition I am coming with a list of favorite bullets of some gangsters (also optional bullets that killed famous gangsters... and so on, there is many different ways to spin this idea). I am presuming some of my costumers will be teenagers that want to fell edgy, but I don't want to ship to them real bullets.

@Ole Cowboy "Sparks and static electricity are NOT your friends"

Wow.... I din't though about this... that is definitely something for me to consider. Why you disarm bullets? apparently the way to go is buying them already separated... Thanks for all the tips on how to do this in case this is the route I go for.... why is good idea to spread gunpowder on the ground?

Thanks again everybody for the welcoming messages and the good info.
    Gun powder is good for plants because it contains a lot of nitrogen which really greens up plants, Roses love it I understand.

You may ask, about burning it. WOW you are really playing with fire when you do that. Powder is very explosive, even when not contained, as it flares when lit due to the speed at which it burns. So if you must burn it, pour it out in a long row and insure the row of powder is contiguous. Mix a quantity of diesel and gasoline together, I use a 1:3 mix gas to diesel. Pour it on the ground over a pour of about 10 ft, remember it takes more than you think as it will quickly soak into the ground. For a 10 Ft pour figure on close to ½ gal, less if the ground is not so dry it just soaks in as fast as you pour. The gasoline will ignite and the diesel will slow down the burn. I do this all the time in fact I just finished with a burn 2 days ago and it's how I start my fires from my land clearing. I usually burn between 6-12 thousand pounds of Oak and Cedar 2-3 times a year.

Top Bottom