• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I probably should have posted this several weeks ago, but here it goes. From this point on, unless some things change drastically for the better, Dietz will no longer be an approved shooting range for official TGT events that are staff organized. If people still want to go there, more power to you and you can still post about it on the board or organize your own mini-meet on the board, but do so at your own risk. To put it simply, I have never been to a more unsafe, uncontrolled, and disorganized "official" shooting range than Dietz. There is a total lack of safety, oversight by RSO's, and overall organization at this range. You are at serious risk of being killed, more so than any other range I've seen, if you go to this range. I work at a shooting range and regularly get muzzle swept with loaded guns, have almost been shot by the governor, etc so it says a lot that I'm this shocked on the conditions there. Imagine a public range with the typical inexperienced, unsafe, and uneducated public range customers....and then imagine there are no RSO's to actually keep anyone in check! Excuse the language but, that place is a fucking joke. We may have to create a sticky for this subject of unsafe ranges to avoid.
    Texas SOT

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    To put it simply, I have never been to a more unsafe, uncontrolled, and disorganized "official" shooting range than Dietz. There is a total lack of safety, oversight by RSO's, and overall organization at this range. You are at serious risk of being killed, more so than any other range I've seen, if you go to this range. I work at a shooting range and regularly get muzzle swept with loaded guns, have almost been shot by the governor, etc so it says a lot that I'm this shocked on the conditions there. Imagine a public range with the typical inexperienced, unsafe, and uneducated public range customers....and then imagine there are no RSO's to actually keep anyone in check! Excuse the language but, that place is a fucking joke. We may have to create a sticky for this subject of unsafe ranges to avoid.

I take it you've never been to the Bullethole in San Antonio, that pretty much describes it to a 'T' except that even the governor won't shoot there!

I am interested in giving the Bandera Gun Club a try, as the closest range other than Camp Bullis (which is only open on the weekends) is Blackhawk; which is a good place to shoot but a bit of a drive. It sounds promising...

Oh, and sorry to hear about your bad experience at Dietz, I've never shot there but know a few folks that do on a regular basis. I've heard some minor stories about the place, but nothing to the extent that you described. I had no plans to check it out before, and now I have even less desire to do so...

Cheers! M2

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    i think he gave him another shot......

I see what you did there. ;)

I have been to Bullethole, but it was years ago on a weekday and there was almost no one there so I never saw anything crazy.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that almost everywhere I go I am inevitably the safest firearm handling individual in the room. Being around gun fire all day, I've seen plenty of ways for people to do things in an unsafe manner. Most people don't think a lot of things are such a big deal, but all it takes is one screw up to end someone's life. There are more safety rules at play than the standard "Four Rules". Read this list to see what I mean:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/training-competition/19053-shooting-range-incompetence.html

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I see what you did there. ;)

I have been to Bullethole, but it was years ago on a weekday and there was almost no one there so I never saw anything crazy.

If there is one thing I've learned, it's that almost everywhere I go I am inevitably the safest firearm handling individual in the room. Being around gun fire all day, I've seen plenty of ways for people to do things in an unsafe manner. Most people don't think a lot of things are such a big deal, but all it takes is one screw up to end someone's life. There are more safety rules at play than the standard "Four Rules". Read this list to see what I mean:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/training-competition/19053-shooting-range-incompetence.html
    I think if any of us pay attention to what other people are doing, we would see enough crap that would make us not want to go to the range anymore. I use the spend a lot of time at the range on weekends. Got too damn dangerous for me! At the piston silhouettes part of the range, I have seen people pointing guns down the firing line. Shooting all the way accross the range, dropping guns, allowing children to shoot without supervision ect....
    One thing I started doing is watching. When adults do stupid shit, I just casually walk over and visit. I bring up the subject of CHL and have found that most of the idiots at the gun range HAVE CHL's!!! :1zhelp:
    I never shoot pistols anymore until I can have the place to myself. If a few people are around I check them out first.
    One thing I have found, at least around here, is the CHL crowd is the worst bunch to be around!

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I have been to the Dietz range several times because my parents live in Canyon Lake, and that's where my dad and I can shoot together when I visit. I have noticed some unsafe behavior, but nothing I haven't seen already in the DFW area. Range officers overlooking a young, pretty female new to firearms doing several big no-no's, and then throwing a hissy fit over someone who just arrived at the range pulling targets and ammo out of their range bag with, heaven forbid, fmj's during a ceasefire. Pretty much preventing people from getting started is the norm where I've tried so far. There's so few people when I've gone to Uncle George's in Glen Rose, I haven't had a problem there.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Reviewing these threads, I'm retired, so, never shoot on public ranges on weekends except for organized competitions. Least on weekdays, few or none on the idiot count!

Top Bottom