Target Sports

Did you notice that a month went by with permitless carry allowed in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Who was questioning whether it was permitless or not? Constitutional carry = permitless carry, I thought we were all on the same page on that and this debate was just on why or why not for open carry while exercising constitutional carry.

The distinction is made because of the way the Texas law was crafted. Its more restrictive than carry under a license. Needs fixed, but its far better than it was in many ways, while screwing up some things other ways.

JaygunFu

IT nomad
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Stroudsburg, PA
    The distinction is made because of the way the Texas law was crafted. Its more restrictive than carry under a license. Needs fixed, but its far better than it was in many ways, while screwing up some things other ways.
    Appreciate it sasquatch guess I was under the impression that the bill passed allowing constitutional carry in Texas was more straightforward.

I was under the impression like others who had it before Texas it meant locals can carry without a carry permit, but if there are more layers to it then I admit I don't know them.

I lived and worked in Vermont for a year before my company put me in a data center in NJ, and I recall Vermont also has Constitutional carry and over there it was as simple as show us you're a resident and of legal age, etc, and you can carry that pistol without a permit.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This is my reason for not open carrying as well.

I don't want everyone, both friend and potential foe, to know that I'm armed.
    To each his own, but like at home, I want everyone to know I'm armed. Unlike a movie, a bad guy looks for easy targets.

If I'm afraid of a friend knowing, I can't imagine him being a very good friend.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Appreciate it sasquatch guess I was under the impression that the bill passed allowing constitutional carry in Texas was more straightforward.

I was under the impression like others who had it before Texas it meant locals can carry without a carry permit, but if there are more layers to it then I admit I don't know them.

I lived and worked in Vermont for a year before my company put me in a data center in NJ, and I recall Vermont also has Constitutional carry and over there it was as simple as show us you're a resident and of legal age, etc, and you can carry that pistol without a permit.

You can. You can carry without a permit - but they crafted the law in such a way as that there are places you cannot go when carrying without the permit (called a License to Carry here)

Then there's the whole sign mess...

The 30.05 signs apply to permitless carriers, 30.06 signs prohibit licensed concealed carriers, and 30.07 prohibits open carry. Theoretically, you could walk past the 06/07 signs as permitless carry, and you could walk past an 05 sign if you have the LTC. If a business is only posted 07, you can carry concealed. If a business is posted as 06, you can theoretically open carry there. To prohibit all carry, if its not one of the places explicitly called out in the law as a no-go, a business must post all three signs to ban all modes of carry.

There are certain other carve outs too - there's a whole subforum dedicated to the intricacies of permitless carry.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    You can. You can carry without a permit - but they crafted the law in such a way as that there are places you cannot go when carrying without the permit (called a License to Carry here)

The 30.05 signs apply to permitless carriers, 30.06 signs prohibit licensed concealed carriers, and 30.07 prohibits open carry. Theoretically, you could walk past the 06/07 signs as permitless carry, and you could walk past an 05 sign if you have the LTC. If a business is only posted 07, you can carry concealed. If a business is posted as 06, you can theoretically open carry there. To prohibit all carry, if its not one of the places explicitly called out in the law as a no-go, a business must post all three signs to ban all modes of carry.

There are certain other carve outs too - there's a whole subforum dedicated to the intricacies of permitless carry.

Agreed, but it happens, and various videos on line that shows guys getting tackled by younger punks over powering them.

I wouldn't hold it against those overpowered and disarmed while open carrying especially if tackled by someone younger, faster, and potentially stronger.

Check out Active Self Protection on youtube he alone has a dozen videos showing this happen caught on camera.
    Good point about being disarmed as shown in this Active SelfProtection video. If one can/choose to do so some sort of retention of gun/holster should be used just as many LEOs have on their guns.

JaygunFu

IT nomad
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Stroudsburg, PA

Major thanks Sasquatch for taking the time to break it down!

JaygunFu

IT nomad
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2022
    Stroudsburg, PA
    re: thread drift. Lucky for us it happened 'cause we've never discussed this topic before.
    You can blame it on the newbie coming late to the party and still trying to get a dance or two.

To me it was helpful/enlightening, especially cause a couple of the members stepped up to share some real knowledge, while others tickled the funny with some quick witty snarky responses.

Ya'll can ignore it to get the topic back on track.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Just like when the concealed handgun license (CHL) became law in 1995 nothing bad happened. Former Governor Ann Richards predicted that a CHL would, "..."promotes violence on our streets and in our neighborhoods." I think Gov Richards' veto of the CHL bill cost her many votes for reelection.

For a history lesson on gun law changes in TX here is a recap from the El Paso Times. Its been a few decades to get from CHL to constitutional carry. What can we do next in Texas?

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Just like when the concealed handgun license (CHL) became law in 1995 nothing bad happened. Former Governor Ann Richards predicted that a CHL would, "..."promotes violence on our streets and in our neighborhoods." I think Gov Richards' veto of the CHL bill cost her many votes for reelection.

For a history lesson on gun law changes in TX here is a recap from the El Paso Times. Its been a few decades to get from CHL to constitutional carry. What can we do next in Texas?
    Ceceding would be the logical next step.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Yep, no blood in the streets... How disappointing that must be for the DemocRats...

Alan

In the age of straight out lying, there is no longer a need for actual blood in the streets.

Just this week new "research" was released by Reform Austin News (WHO?) that states since the signing of permitless carry into law, "mass shootings" in Texas have gone up 62.5%!!! And of course this "research" is being touted as proof of something... Seeing as almost none, if any of the incidents they are counting involved an actual handgun that was being carried under the parameters of said law, I'm not so sure what it proves, but that seems to be just a minor detail in this "research."

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom