• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Also, the docs have some incentives that go beyond medical needs. Drug makers and medical device makers are spending between $2.1 billion and $2.2 billion a year to woo doctors into prescribing drugs and using their products, according to a new investigation by ProPublica. While thousands of doctors have made $100,000 or more, more than 2,500 received $500,000 or more in the five-year period—and those payments do not include royalties. More than 700 received at least $1 million.
    There is a lot of incentive for drug companies to entice doctors to use certain drugs. They need the doctors since the drugs have to be prescribed by a doctotr. So we as patients are in a sense a captive audience to this.

The medical drug industry is a billions of dollars industry.
    Target Sports

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Just to be clear...I recommend fermented food .like sauerkraut, yogurt , kefir or even apple cider vinegar works

Axxe ask about fruit. I was replying to him.
    I know several nutrition folks and all recommend sauerkraut and/or apple cider vinegar each and every day. They have no recommended quantity amounts but a big scoop of sauerkraut and couple ounces of ACV each day works for them.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I can't or won't give medical advice, since I'm not trained in that area, or qualified in any way. I'm only going to point out that you do your own research, then have a discussion with your doctor.

I do lots of research and studying of any drugs I am prescribed by a doctor. In the end, I have the ultimate responsibility and control over my health and well being.

After I had the discussion with my doctor about statins, I decided it was in my best interests to control my cholesterol with changes in my diet, rather than using drugs.
    10 years ago my little brother had a deadly heart attack age 54, arteries very clogged the autopsy said. A few months later my other little brother had his annual treadmill stress test and flunked. Two days later had a quadruple bypass. Came my turn for my annual treadmill and doc said "you're looking good" according to the EKG. Told him my chest was hurting bad so he shut it down. He looked at all the printed paper and said he saw nothing to indicate heart problem but put me in the hospital next door, non-emergency, for a heart catheter run up my groin into heart to take a peek. My LAD (widow maker) was clogged 99%, another 100%, another 70%. Triple bypass next day. And I was passing a stress test ? My parents almost lost all 3 sons in 6 months. My brothers and I always tried to keep our "cholesterol" numbers in the normal range. What could go wrong if we did that ???

I began studying stuff like cholesterol, inflammation (cause of most issues), and so much more. I kept an open mind because I only wanted studies and opinions. About half of the folks in ER with heart attacks have what they call "normal cholesterol levels". But how can that be?" We got dumbed down into thinking our cholesterol numbers will protect us. The cholesterol fad began when Eisenhower had a heart attack and his doctor said it was from the eggs he had for breakfast, the cholesterol. And thus began the massive big pharma push for statin drugs. Think about it - what's the first thing anyone you know says about their annual lab results - their cholesterol....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    10 years ago my little brother had a deadly heart attack age 54, arteries very clogged the autopsy said. A few months later my other little brother had his annual treadmill stress test and flunked. Two days later had a quadruple bypass. Came my turn for my annual treadmill and doc said "you're looking good" according to the EKG. Told him my chest was hurting bad so he shut it down. He looked at all the printed paper and said he saw nothing to indicate heart problem but put me in the hospital next door, non-emergency, for a heart catheter run up my groin into heart to take a peek. My LAD (widow maker) was clogged 99%, another 100%, another 70%. Triple bypass next day. And I was passing a stress test ? My parents almost lost all 3 sons in 6 months. My brothers and I always tried to keep our "cholesterol" numbers in the normal range. What could go wrong if we did that ???

I began studying stuff like cholesterol, inflammation (cause of most issues), and so much more. I kept an open mind because I only wanted studies and opinions. About half of the folks in ER with heart attacks have what they call "normal cholesterol levels". But how can that be?" We got dumbed down into thinking our cholesterol numbers will protect us. The cholesterol fad began when Eisenhower had a heart attack and his doctor said it was from the eggs he had for breakfast, the cholesterol. And thus began the massive big pharma push for statin drugs. Think about it - what's the first thing anyone you know says about their annual lab results - their cholesterol....
    Sorry about your brother. My condolences. From my limited amount of research, I have come upon the conclusions that if a person is going to reduce their cholesterol levels, it's far better to do it with dietary changes and exercise than with drugs. I have already had one minor heart attack, so I"m trying make some changes for the better for my health. I still have a huge uphill battle ahead. I'm still making changes as I learn new things, and a huge shout-out to @vmax for providing some very valuable information here on the forum.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

You know more about cholesterol than most doctors.
    You've done your homework!

The small dense cholesterol is what sinks and clogs arteries.
    It's the most difficult to measure.

Total cholesterol is almost a useless number

HDL / Triglycerides ratio is an excellent indicator of risk assessment

2.0 is considered excellent
    1 5 and your're virtually bullet proof
    2.0-3.0 you are at higher risk
    4.0 ..your in trouble

We had a post about cholesterol here a while back.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Which is better for breakfast?

View attachment 344205

Would you be surprised to know that a cup of white grapes contains MORE sugar than a medium glazed donut?
    If you are limiting sugar remember fruit like grapes contain alot of natural sugars and very little fiber. You should consider selecting fruits with better sugar to fiber ratios. The more fiber in the fruit the less the sugar impact on your glucose and insulin levels

Sugar is sugar..whether it's natural or refined..
    And something like a blueberry muffin is often higher caloric content. If you think a standard blueberry muffin is a healthy breakfast.... You might as well just enjoy a Shipley's glazed.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I have a friend who lost 110lbs (She's around 5' tall) and she became a fitness coach. One of the things she told me about is pineapple. It has a chemical in it that attacks fat cells in food and prevents it from metabolizing. It also is a prebiotic, so it feeds your probiotics in your gut. The healthier your gut is, the better your whole body operates, and also reduces illness.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that she eats some pineapple about 30 minutes before eating a meal.

I buy it often. Kroger has it already cut up.
    Fresh pineapple in a cup of Greek yogurt is a great snack to beat a sweet craving too.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Fresh pineapple in a cup of Greek yogurt is a great snack to beat a sweet craving too.

Pineapple is full of sugar and will spike glucose and insulin..
    I don't recommend my clients eat it at all if trying to lose weight

About 8 grams of carbs in a 3 ounce slice.

It has sucrose(table sugar)fructose that goes right to the liver for processing and glucose which readily induces insulin levels to spike.

its just about as bad as grapes except it has some fiber to help shield the gut.

I think only a mango is worse for sugar in fruit IIRC

Fresh berries like strawberries or blueberries are a much better option with yogurt and actually have some beneficial antioxidants

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Pineapple is full of sugar and will spike glucose and insulin..
    I don't recommend my clients eat it at all if trying to lose weight

About 8 grams of carbs in a 3 ounce slice.

It has sucrose(table sugar)fructose that goes right to the liver for processing and glucose which readily induces insulin levels to spike.

its just about as bad as grapes except it has some fiber to help shield the gut.

I think only a mango is worse for sugar in fruit IIRC

Fresh berries like strawberries or blueberries are a much better option with yogurt and actually have some beneficial antioxidants
    I'll accept your info as facts.....

But you gotta admit, it's a better snack than a big bowl of ice cream, probably followed by a second bowl.

I really don't eat much fruit at all, but when i want something sweet i find fruit better than the many isles at the grocery store full of crap like cookies, or ice cream, or even breakfast cereal.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'll accept your info as facts.....

But you gotta admit, it's a better snack than a big bowl of ice cream, probably followed by a second bowl.

I really don't eat much fruit at all, but when i want something sweet i find fruit better than the many isles at the grocery store full of crap like cookies, or ice cream, or even breakfast cereal.

Anytime you eat whole real food you are better off than eating anything that came in a box or a bag with a UPC code on it for sure

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    20221223_081106.jpg

Top Bottom