• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    My father told me never change careers after 30, it wont played out well for you unless its a job change.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    hqdefault.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My body is tired and worn. Im looking for a change. something that brings me inside, behind a desk doing pogue stuff.

Immediate reward would be nice, but im more interested in something that will have a higher return, with some use of educational benefits.

I am not a college person, but i can be studious. I figure its time to use some of these military education stuff i never cared about.

So, give me some ideas what areas of concentration i should be focusing on both end item (the actual job title) and the path to it (educational courses) i should be taking.

Without reading through seven pages of replies, let me suggest:
    1. go to the community college and take their aptitude tests. They will show you what you have tendencies towards, and what you are good at.

2. find some degree plan / career path that accommodates said giftings

3. get your degree and find a job doing what you studied.

Older students generally do really well. I was 26 when I went back to college, and I did really well. 3.7 GPA while working full time and going to school full time. You have motivation to succeed now, and that makes a huge difference.

Keep an open mind about it. You might find out things about your self you didn't know. After a decade in construction I found out I had skills for engineering and accounting. Who knew? Its pretty nice coming home from work, and not stinking. Me likey. One of the hardest parts for me was the difference in a construction site / job and a professional environment. Different people, and different ways they interact was an adjustment.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yep, change whenever you want, just make sure it's the right thing backed up by solid thought process and facts. I currently am beginning to hate being an IT Engineer, I want to get into software development for games and whatever else. So when I get home everyday I spent about 3 hours coding. I'm terrible still but getting there.

zx9rt1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    I too was looking for a desk job and found one. Been sitting behind a desk for 5 years now looking at spreadsheets and have gained 30lbs. I went from being an automotive tech with a Ford dealer for over 20 years to crunching data. I have regretted that for the last year. Desk job is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I too was looking for a desk job and found one. Been sitting behind a desk for 5 years now looking at spreadsheets and have gained 30lbs. I went from being an automotive tech with a Ford dealer for over 20 years to crunching data. I have regretted that for the last year. Desk job is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Try standing. I usually sit half the day and stand half the day in 30 minute increments.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016

Desk job are like any other job out there. I am a sysadmin, work from home, youtube for hours, and get to chill when I feel stress. Haven't gained weight because I tend to keep a healthy life style, and have a treadmill I run 2 miles a day when brain storming ideas. I do missed meeting other humans, and talking to others that aren't txt messages.

zx9rt1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    It wouldn't be so bad if I could work from home. The exercise would definitely be more. Getting out and walking would do me a lot of good for sure.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    When I worked at Cisco Systems in Austin I worked from home. That shit drove me nuts. Working from home a few days out of the week is fine but I need to get out during the day.

Jay4096

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2016
    Houston
    On a serious note; look into desktop support/technician. They are like the "labor" (if you can call it labor) of IT. When I was younger I was driving around to different buildings and using almighty Google to resolve ticket/cases put in by users. Most of the time it was a bad HDD or some easy shit. Other times I had to order some odd-ball parts and take apart really thin laptops or connect a patch cable into a switch for a dead port. Other than that I knocked out the tickets in a given day very fast and didn't close them till later in the day so I could put my feet on my desk and browse forums :)

If you really want a desk only job look into helpdesk. Be warned that helpdesk can fry your brain! If it gets boring you can jump up to sys admin (BTW there isnt "Jr sys admins now, they are just "admins" but it will be obvious if its really a jr role; usually the techs get prompted within sometimes.) Admin stuff is fun, but if issues are not taken care of swiftly and hard than you can lose your job real fast.

Top Bottom