• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    My body is tired and worn. Im looking for a change. something that brings me inside, behind a desk doing pogue stuff.

Immediate reward would be nice, but im more interested in something that will have a higher return, with some use of educational benefits.

I am not a college person, but i can be studious. I figure its time to use some of these military education stuff i never cared about.

So, give me some ideas what areas of concentration i should be focusing on both end item (the actual job title) and the path to it (educational courses) i should be taking.
    Guns International

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    QQamhym.jpg

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You need to be more specific. What exact skills do you have? What experience do you have? What qualifications/certifications/education?

More importantly, what field are you looking to get into and what networking have you done to get into it?

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    are you looking for a new career or just a paycheck?

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    You need to be more specific. What exact skills do you have? What experience do you have? What qualifications/certifications/education?

More importantly, what field are you looking to get into and what networking have you done to get into it?
    All of my skills are skills i want to get away from. Im done with hard labor. This is why i left it extremely open with a focus on low impact, office work.

are you looking for a new career or just a paycheck?
    New career.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    How well did you handle "cabin fever" last winter?
    That's about how well you'll handle being stuck indoors all year, while the weather is nice.
    I worked 20 years towards a nice "office job". Hated it after a couple of years.

Soul searching time.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    All of my skills are skills i want to get away from. Im done with hard labor. This is why i left it extremely open with a focus on low impact, office work.
    Some skill you have now is going to translate... What tools/equipment have you worked with? For example; if you know how to run a cement mixer, then you have the knowledge to work customer support for the cement mixer manufacturer.

You must have some idea of what you're good at. Are you a problem solver? How are you with phone etiquette? Do you do well talking to customers? Irate customers? How well do you type? Do you like to organize things? Do you like math?

Maybe you should find a career counselor and take some aptitude tests.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    How well did you handle "cabin fever" last winter?
    That's about how well you'll handle being stuck indoors all year, while the weather is nice.
    I worked 20 years towards a nice "office job". Hated it after a couple of years.

Soul searching time.
    I know its going to be quite different change of pace. Especially for my personality of always wanting to be outdoors and doing stuff with my hands.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Some skill you have now is going to translate... What tools/equipment have you worked with? For example; if you know how to run a cement mixer, then you have the knowledge to work customer support for the cement mixer manufacturer.

You must have some idea of what you're good at. Are you a problem solver? How are you with phone etiquette? Do you do well talking to customers? Irate customers? How well do you type? Do you like to organize things? Do you like math?

Maybe you should find a career counselor and take some aptitude tests.
    I score very well rounded in everything. I have an average typing speed, i can communicate well over a phone and with angry people.

Math, i dont especially like to do but ive had to do formulas and math for calculating explosives.

Im technologically versed especially in building components of servers and pc's. Definite problem solver, i like to examine any task before i take it on.

Im at work, so im sure im leaving some things out but these are all top of my head.

Skills :

Military (counter ied related)
    Civilian (journeyman ironworker, certified welder)

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I know its going to be quite different change of pace. Especially for my personality of always wanting to be outdoors and doing stuff with my hands.
    Im technologically versed especially in building components of servers and pc's. Definite problem solver, i like to examine any task before i take it on.
    How about a mix of desk and working with your hands? There's always a need in IT for field technicians. There's a little manual labor involved, but it's usually in an air conditioned server room or comm closet.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    How about a mix of desk and working with your hands? There's always a need in IT for field technicians. There's a little manual labor involved, but it's usually in an air conditioned server room or comm closet.
    That sounds nice. A+ cert and? Ive seen those techs before and they sure work at their own pace it seems like. All comfortable looking.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Do you have any CAD experience? Something like AutoCAD, Solidworks, or PRO E type software. Shops and architectural/engineering places ore often looking for folks with experience with that kind of background.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Do you have any CAD experience? Something like AutoCAD, Solidworks, or PRO E type software. Shops and architectural/engineering places ore often looking for folks with experience with that kind of background.
    Ive been interested in it before. No formal experiance but was definately something i had looked into a long time ago before the big IT boom. Which is why i stopped looking into it because everyone that went that route stopped getting hired. Too many hands, not enough jobs.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Are you looking to stay in the Houston area?

I had an HR manager at a pretty cool place hit me up, but I'm not ready to leave the energy industry.

I looked at their site and they have a LOT of stuff that I'm qualified for, I'm sure that you'd be qualified for a good bit of it as well.

But they are located outside of Waco.....

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That sounds nice. A+ cert and? Ive seen those techs before and they sure work at their own pace it seems like. All comfortable looking.
    A+ or a Network+ would be helpful, but not necessary. If you can flip switches on a and off, crimp an RJ45 connector, and console a laptop to a server or network device then you can handle the job. You could try local computer shops or Geek Squad, but the better jobs would be with field tech companies like Endeavor, NCR, Acuative, etc...

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'm doing procurement. We had one guy who was in the Marine reserves. Guy is dumb as hell and all around obnoxious, nobody wants to talk to him for more than 2 minutes because of his attitude and general rudeness, but he always got more opportunities because he always brought up relatable stuff he did in the USMC.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom