Join TexasGunTalk

Design of AR-15 could derail charges tied to popular rifle

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Big Dipper, Jan 14, 2020.

  1. Big Dipper

    Big Dipper Well-Known

    1,530
    530
    113
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    kbaxter60 likes this.
  2. kbaxter60

    kbaxter60 Hill Country State of Mind

    1,024
    2,105
    113
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Interesting read. Yet it's something most of us here already new, so "not news". The tone of the article is "we need to fix this". And by "this" I believe the author means "people getting out of prosecutions because this hunk of metal is not actually a 'gun'". Yet I read it and can understand how lawyers might approach this to get a client off and at the same time wonder "How on earth are they going to royally screw this up?"

    My guess: something stupid, like manufacturers won't be able to produce a lower any longer. They MUST be immediately welded to an upper, making it a "gun". A stripped lower will become Kryptonite, along the lines of the parts that can make an AR full auto (sear? more than that? I really don't know? Guess I need better education.)
     
    jordanmills and Dad_Roman like this.
  3. Whistler

    Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

    1,277
    1,131
    113
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Seems simple enough, prohibited persons can not possess firearms or their component parts. I'm certain they'll screw it up way worse than that if only to prescribe additional restrictions on firearms in general.
     
    Charlie likes this.
  4. Bozz10mm

    Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

    5,973
    2,853
    113
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It's complicated. In my mind, a stripped receiver is only about 30% of the firearm. It can't fire a round without the other 70% of the parts. A receiver without a barrel, is not a firearm. What they are wanting is to require both the upper and lower to be serial numbered and for either one on it's own to be considered a firearm.
     
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  5. toddnjoyce

    toddnjoyce TGT Addict

    5,392
    9,436
    113
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Second time I’ve seen something on this exact subject.

    I’ll save my opinions for later.
     
  6. BillFairbanks

    BillFairbanks Well-Known

    1,266
    2,459
    113
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    ...and a bump stock is a machine gun...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
     
    toddnjoyce likes this.
  7. Renegade

    Renegade SuperOwner

    7,431
    3,133
    113
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Lawyers being lawyers. For the rest of us it is quite simple English:

    d)It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person-

    (1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;


    "firearm" is define as:

    (3) The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

    So since felons cannot have firearms, and firearms include frames or receivers, I do not see what the issue is.
     
  8. Kar98

    Kar98 TGT Addict

    4,100
    3,539
    113
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The issue is B, what's the receiver or frame of a firearm: the hunk of metal that contains the trigger, bolt, firing pin, and has the barrel attached to it so therefore it's only by mutual agreement that the lower of a AR is considered the serialized firearm.
    In many countries in Europe for instance Germany, the upper receiver of an AR is considered the serialized firearm and everything else is accessories anyone can buy.
     
  9. pronstar

    pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

    4,507
    9,397
    113
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Semantics.

    It’s just a pile of parts until assembled into a firearm.

    So they’ll have to regulate the possession of parts...many of which have multiple uses, e.g. fasteners.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
     

Share This Page