• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txdweeb

Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    For this weeks favorite , just took mine out today first time 200 rds, 12 were 357 mag. The little port made a noticeable difference in felt recoil but nothing life changing. I have the mount ordered for a red dot and a iwb holster on the way it’ll be my winter edc when done.
    1702166841406.jpeg
    Venture Surplus ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    I never shot heavier than 55 grain bullets in it. It is a good little varmint gun. When I bought the pistol there was a missing piece for the sight. I put the long eye relief 3X Burris scope on it and it worked great. I later ordered the missing piece, and put it back to original. It is the original barrel, at times I would have liked one that was a bit longer.

Have never been too interested 22 caliber center fire rifles. Think I might have mentioned recently building an AR-15, that looked like hunting rifle. The barrel is 18" 1:8 twist rifling 5.56x45 chamber, have open sights on it now. But recently bought a 3-9x50mm Burris scope that I thought about putting on it. Have not decided one way or the other yet. Did come up with a load that I'm actually impressed with. Built it around an old Speer 70gr Semi Spitzer with flat base on bullet. I don't like putting much of the bullet past the neck of the bullet. Worked up 2 powder loads one with Varget and the other with Shooter's World AR--Plus. Both good powders for this range of bullets. The AR-plus works good in my .308 too. And my 30-30.

It has taken a while for me to not miss sides of conversation. Still adapting to the site. Thanks
    <>

You are doing great !

leVieux

<>

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    <>

You are doing great !

leVieux

<>
    I have finally come up with some solutions on my load for my new Kiger 9-c pistol. Was having dimension issues with brass and the powder. I tried a 5 gr load of Accurate no. 5 with the 147 gr polymer coated RDFP Blue Bullet bullets and it worked beautifully and extracted properly. But I was still having problems chambering the rounds properly. So I prepped some Magtech brass. There is a noticeable difference in wall thickness from the Nickel plated brass. This renews my confidence I can make this work. With the change to Accurate no. 5 the bark of the pistol was reduced and the recoil dropped significantly, but it will have the stopping power I wanted due to the heavy bullet.

Thanks for your encouragement.

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Get a lee FCD die and they will run smooth. I'm using mostly plated and it doesn't break the jacketing but smooths the sharp edge of the case mouth
    The 3pc carbide Lee dies I have has the function built into the bullet seating die. It does what you said. My bullets are ..356 (not .355) and there is a vast difference in wall thickness of brass. That squeezes down the inside diameter of the brass.

The crimp function cannot be applied at the same step you seat the bullet.

Thank you for your help.

If I use jacketed (.355 diameter bullets) I think they will work fine. I plan to get some 9mm 147 gr Hornady XTP bullets to load in the Barness nickel plated brass. The powder load works fine, the bullets fire through barrel fine, it ejects fine. But chambering is tight for chamber.

9mm brass is not straight wall brass. The Blue Bullets are hard cast lead, it hard to crimp. I also solved a bullet seating depth issue that I had.

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The Lee FCD die is a stand alone that doesn't seat, just applies a taper crimp. It also smoothes the body of any bulges from oversized bullets. It's nice because it's not a roll crimper. Worth a try. I first used mine on 45 Colt rounds. Now I use them as a last step in all pistol cartridges. You can be aggressive with it but it's nice to lightly smooth sharp edges of thick brass. It makes my lever guns running pistol rounds cycle easily.

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    The Lee FCD die is a stand alone that doesn't seat, just applies a taper crimp. It also smoothes the body of any bulges from oversized bullets. It's nice because it's not a roll crimper. Worth a try. I first used mine on 45 Colt rounds. Now I use them as a last step in all pistol cartridges. You can be aggressive with it but it's nice to lightly smooth sharp edges of thick brass. It makes my lever guns running pistol rounds cycle easily.
    I already had the FCD bookmarked. It is very inexpensive, but Lee description of the seating die said it does exactly what the FCD does. But having another die separate from the bullet seating would make adjustments unnecessary each time you load.

Tex62

Jan 21, 2014
    SW 640-1 everyday. But I would probably keep one of the other 8 or so if I could only one. Variety is the spice of life though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Thanks again for the advice on taper crimp die. I should have one delivered tomorrow, with other supplies. I was able to work around my loading issues for my new 9mm pistol. Got the load down and the crimping with the crimping function inside the bullet seating die. The 147 grain Blue Bullet loads are accurate and cycle beautifully. And it is a pleasure to shoot. Weight up on bullet and fps drop, but recoil is lower and also the noise level is way down. Thanks.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Good crimping dies are very nice. The only issue I've ever had with them were with some .357's. I think they were Hornady brass originally with their FTX bullets - where the case was shorter than usual - they of course didn't crimp right. I'm fastidious about the trim length of my rifle brass, but don't pay a lot of attention to handgun brass - especially for rimmed cartridges.

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Describe my favorite .357? The one I carry all the time. Ugly as a mud fence, but shoots very well-

K5WWxXsl.jpg
    I shoot an Uberti .357 mag (SASS Pro 5-1/2") too. Really like it.
    Shoot 158 gr. 1/2 jacket SWC with 8.0 gr Accurate no. 5, and 158 gr Hornady XTP hollow point with 8.6 gr. Accurate no. 5.
    Did you modify the front sight for elevation?

35 Whelen

Jan 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I shoot an Uberti .357 mag (SASS Pro 5-1/2") too. Really like it.
    Shoot 158 gr. 1/2 jacket SWC with 8.0 gr Accurate no. 5, and 158 gr Hornady XTP hollow point with 8.6 gr. Accurate no. 5.
    Did you modify the front sight for elevation?

Sorry, just found the notification for this thread in my Spam folder!

Other than dressing the rear of it with a Swiss file to reduce glare, the front sight is unmodified.

I'd like to try some AA #5 some time.

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Sorry, just found the notification for this thread in my Spam folder!

Other than dressing the rear of it with a Swiss file to reduce glare, the front sight is unmodified.

I'd like to try some AA #5 some time.
    Accurate no. 5 is my favorite. It is all I am using for my 357 mag/38 spec 158gr bullet loads. And for my new 9mm Kiger 9-C with 147 gr jacketed bullet loads. .

For my lighter 125gr polymer coated bullets in my 38 spec loads I use Unique or Shooter's World Clean Shot.

I Tried Clean Shot in my 9mm pistol, but the load I used did not eject properly with the heavy 147 gr polymer coated bullets. It Shot fine. I may try it again with a large load.

Thanks for response.

Top Bottom