• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polkwright

Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Mine is a 6" Model 66. It was worn out when I bought it and I had it rebuilt and modified. Weigand oversized rear sight blade. Weigand DX front sight base so I can swap front sight blades at will. I like the fiber optic indoors, Patridge outdoors. But I can swap anything I want in seconds.

.500" Target trigger. I find they help maintain consistent finger position on the trigger. In retrospect I should have put a Target Hammer on it for looks but I was going for function. I think I'll get that done. End shake was fixed, barrel set back, gap set at .003". Throats reamed to .358 and an 11 degree forcing cone was cut as this is a cast bullet gun. 3# single action trigger pull. Bead blasted the finish.

It has had a diet of 99.9% mid-range .38 Specials. After over 30,000 of them it's still in spec. The .357's can take a lot of use if you keep them on .38's. Make no mistake. This is a range gun and that's about it. I've fired an astounding amount of ammunition over my lifetime, and it was all at paper. It's great to theorize about covering all scenarios of use and come up with a do-everything gun, but I built this for use under my most likely circumstances. It has served me well, and is still going strong.

Mod66.jpg

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    This one is an M68 in .38 Special...specifically built for the LAPD (357s were frowned on by the city for cops). It's just a 66 with a .38 cylinder. I sent it back to S&W for the patridge (post) front sight. LAPD master armorer Harry Davis tuned the trigger. A great shooter and an excellent police revolver back in the '80's.
    The majority of shooting with my .357s has been with .38 loads, so I'm not losing much with a 6" .38.
    Bob

74cqRxv.jpg

JevYFVa.jpg

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    It's difficult to beat a S&W K frame .38 special for "perfection"... I have a mod 64, 4" that is just smooth as silk.
    When you get into the more punishing .357 stuff, I think the K frames are just a bit on the delicate side. Much has been written about how you should not shoot only full house .357's in them... the L frames might be the better choice, but I would insist on a half-lug barrel. I had a 686 for a year or two, and it was very nice indeed... just felt a little muzzle heavy. Not a deal-breaker by any means.

For just overall toughness and durability, I'd go with a half-lug GP-100, if I could get the trigger pull S&W smooth... and as long as I'm "specifying", I think I'd like it to be a 5" barrel.

the 64....
    Model 64.jpg

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    It's difficult to beat a S&W K frame .38 special for "perfection"... I have a mod 64, 4" that is just smooth as silk.
    When you get into the more punishing .357 stuff, I think the K frames are just a bit on the delicate side. Much has been written about how you should not shoot only full house .357's in them... the L frames might be the better choice, but I would insist on a half-lug barrel. I had a 686 for a year or two, and it was very nice indeed... just felt a little muzzle heavy. Not a deal-breaker by any means.

For just overall toughness and durability, I'd go with a half-lug GP-100, if I could get the trigger pull S&W smooth... and as long as I'm "specifying", I think I'd like it to be a 5" barrel.

the 64....
    View attachment 415442

The earlier k frames are a bit delicate if you are shooting 125gr loads, but are more than capable of handling 158's.

Even then they aren't exactly mr73's, but still

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    a mdel 10or a model 19are great pistols
    I searched for 3-4 years trying to find a Ruger 357 mag 6-1/2" Blackhawk, Never found one for sale. One day I was looking at MidWay's website and saw they had added a lot of firearms. I spotted something I had never seen before and there were 4 on hand, I did a little research and waited 1/2 a day and finally bought one. It is a 356851 Uberti 357mag/38spec 5-1/2" Short-Stroke SASS Pro. Beretta owns them. It has the best trigger I've ever shot in a pistol and the balance, finish, and quality is unmatched anywhere.

It is heavy and a bit large to conceal, but found a holster made for it in South Africa and a heavy belt. It has been a year and a half and I'm still in love with shooting it.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I searched for 3-4 years trying to find a Ruger 357 mag 6-1/2" Blackhawk, Never found one for sale. One day I was looking at MidWay's website and saw they had added a lot of firearms. I spotted something I had never seen before and there were 4 on hand, I did a little research and waited 1/2 a day and finally bought one. It is a 356851 Uberti 357mag/38spec 5-1/2" Short-Stroke SASS Pro. Beretta owns them. It has the best trigger I've ever shot in a pistol and the balance, finish, and quality is unmatched anywhere.

It is heavy and a bit large to conceal, but found a holster made for it in South Africa and a heavy belt. It has been a year and a half and I'm still in love with shooting it.

I've heard some good things about the Uberti's... they have gone up in price quite a bit from when I first started noticing them. Sounds like you have found your perfect fit....

Those Fireballs are very aptly named. I had a friend that bought one back in the early 70's... I shot it once with no hearing protection. :eek:

@TX_1

Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I've heard some good things about the Uberti's... they have gone up in price quite a bit from when I first started noticing them. Sounds like you have found your perfect fit....

Those Fireballs are very aptly named. I had a friend that bought one back in the early 70's... I shot it once with no hearing protection. :eek:
    It was the fastest factory load pistol for a long long time. One of the best loads for mine is Hornady 45 gr SP over 4198 slightly compressed load. Lot of powder for that little case. I started with 2400 when I bought the pistol. It will shoot 50 gr. well too. Above that not so good.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    The python isn't bad, its just no SS combat magnum.

View attachment 415436
    <>

Growing-up, Dad had several revolvers & semi-auto’s. As he’d buy .22LR & shotgun shells in bulk, but .45ACP etc. by the box, I wound up shooting lots of Colt .22 revolvers of the older ‘’Poice Positive’’ style, w/ the firing pin integral w/ the hammer, no ‘’transfer bar’’. O/W it was the Colt Army 1911 from WWII.

Two Uncles (different sides of Family) were S&W magnum aficionados, but never taught me handguns. Another Uncle had a room full of mostly unfired Winchester lever guns, 94’s, but wasn’t into handguns.

My first purchase was the 1970 Python, second was a series 70 Gold Cup with the bbl bushing. Back in the early to mid 70’s, I had endless US Army .45ACP & .38Spl ammo, only.

For some reason, the Python always felt more natural and I could hit everything with it. So, I loved it & still do. Rarely fired double action, in practice only. Rarely .357 loads.

But, after escaping an attempted kidnapping in 1980 Houston, I realized I need a smaller carry gun, as CC was still very ‘’illegal’’ back then. Got a J-frame clone & an InterArms PPKS. I could never hit anything with either.

I just sort-of lost handgun skills, but shot a lots of shotguns over the decades. Now, an arthritic 80yo w/ a safe of nice pieces, my EDC is G26 or G19, occasionally a lightweight real J-frame, AirWeight or Scandium. I now have several acres at home and could shoot here, but don’t. Too late in life, maybe. I keep telling our ‘’Dirt Guy’’ (Landscaper) that I’ll get him to build a backstop levee, but never followed-through.

Worse, Son #2, runs the nearby Police range a day or 2 a month, and I just don’t go.

Old Age. . . . . . .

leVieux

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It will shoot 50 gr. well too. Above that not so good.
    Back when they were production-class legal under IHMSA rules, I worked hard to find the heaviest bullet that would stabilize in my XPs. Max weight/min length would require a wadcutter profile and no one made those. I wound up with a very stubby, flat-base, round-nose 63 grain bullet. It was marvelously accurate. I don't remember who made it but I do remember being disappointed when it was discontinued.

It's too bad Remington didn't come out with a silhouette version of the base pistol that could be shot in production class. With good adjustable sights and a 1-in-5 twist barrel with a long leade, the XP would have been the absolute ruler of production class IHMSA competition.

TXTad

Jul 6, 2021
    Flower Mound, TX
    This one is an M68 in .38 Special...specifically built for the LAPD (357s were frowned on by the city for cops). It's just a 66 with a .38 cylinder. I sent it back to S&W for the patridge (post) front sight. LAPD master armorer Harry Davis tuned the trigger. A great shooter and an excellent police revolver back in the '80's.
    The majority of shooting with my .357s has been with .38 loads, so I'm not losing much with a 6" .38.
    Bob

74cqRxv.jpg

JevYFVa.jpg
    Wow! That's a nice one! There were plenty of LEO marked revolvers I walked past at gun shows in the 90s. I shoulda grabbed a few.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom