• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Totally inspired by that perfect 1911 thread (https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/the-perfect-1911-pistol.102186/)

What features would you take from any revolver to make your ultimate .357/.38 revolver?

I would have to say the S&W 65, 65-1, 65-2, 66, 66-1 are all about perfect. While the classic K frame isn't up to the task of a steady diet of full house .357's like a Gp100 or 686, a K frame, square butt, 4" barrel can still handle a decent amount of the hot stuff, while keeping weight at a minimum.

Point Blur_Aug112022_180512.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

gll

TGT Addict
    Jan 22, 2016
    I like my 4" 686 marginally better than my 4" GP-100...

My perfect revolver is physically impossible... I'd like it to weigh like an Airweight, have the power of a .44 Mag, the recoil of a .22LR, be impervious to rust, a trigger better than a Smith, and a 4" barrel. OK, I guess the 4" barrel is possible...

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The new ones, yes.
    Imho the old ones aren't all that great either, but man even s&w's from their golden era are rough.

Its amazing they were able to fit anything together when parts look like they were machined using a dull pocket knife

WAA

Sir, I decline to answer, respectfully.
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    My 4in 686 stainless. It has rosewood grips, aftermarket fixed rear, and a green fiber optic front.

carried in brown cowhide holster with a brown belt. Its gaddang beautiful

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Imho the old ones aren't all that great either, but man even s&w's from their golden era are rough.

Its amazing they were able to fit anything together when parts look like they were machined using a dull pocket knife
    Hand fitted parts at the time. Look at a Cimarron revolver. They aint pretty on the inside but it works.

I had a 1980's 686 that was fine. Starting getting endshake but was still usable. Trigger was like glass it had so many rounds.

Top Bottom