• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Why deprime, then resize, when it can be done in one step?

I run pistol rounds on the Dillon as you suggest.

Rifle rounds, however, bring out the fussy Flash! I tumble the crap out of the brass sometimes for 24 hours. Deprime them and clean the primer pockets. I don't tumble with empty primer pockets as the media gets stuck in the pockets and in the flash hole (no jokes....snicker). Then I reprime the rifle brass and run the whole operation series on the Dillon.

Flash
    Lynx Defense

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Why deprime, then resize, when it can be done in one step?

I run pistol rounds on the Dillon as you suggest.

Rifle rounds, however, bring out the fussy Flash! I tumble the crap out of the brass sometimes for 24 hours. Deprime them and clean the primer pockets. I don't tumble with empty primer pockets as the media gets stuck in the pockets and in the flash hole (no jokes....snicker). Then I reprime the rifle brass and run the whole operation series on the Dillon.

Flash

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

You use a universal deprimer die.
    Clean the primer pocket.
    Re prime the case.
    Resize the primed case with the deprimer pin removed from the sizing die.

Or am I confused?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Sorry....I'll clarify.

On pistol rounds, I use the Dillons as designed. I'm not concerned about the anvil of the primer sitting up on charcoal from the last round. Pistol rounds are short range so a delay in ignition is not worth considering.

On rifle rounds and especially for rounds that I use at long distance, I decap the brass using the RCBS decap die on the Rock Chucker single stage press. The decap die has no resizing function. Then I use the RCBS case prep (motorized) machine to clean the primer pockets.

When they're all done, I run them on the Dillon just as I would a pistol case except that the decapping pin in the sizer die doesn't know there's no primer in the pocket. I push the handle forward and seat a primer.

It sounds complicated but I just clean the primer pockets on long range rifle ammo to keep ignition consistent. With that RCBS motorized tool, it's a breeze!

Flash

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I got it now Roger. I misunderstood. I though you had a hand priming step in there prior to running through the dillon and resizing.

All clear now. Thanks.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Picked up a Harvey deprimer this week. First go with it i got through around 350 rounds in an hour or so whilst sat on the couch. Could probably go faster, the main delay was finding the flash hole.

It's a neat little solution, if you popped a bit of plastic slightly smaller than the case near the end it would probably make finding the flash hole a lot quicker.

If I was doing thousands of rounds a week then I'd prefer something that automatically loaded & centered the case, but for 300 to 400 whilst watching some tv it's great.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Head on over to the Reloading forum if you haven't already, and share the recipe you loaded with.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Not my reloads. Near blew the grips off the gun. ignited the round below it in the magazine and made it explode as well. Shards of brass got embedded in my cheek and without eye pro. my eye would have caught some as well.

Before the digital age of nice pictures.

Top Bottom