• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WarBaby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    DFW, TX
    How many gators are there in any given lake? I’m from central Florida and there can be dozens in an average sized lake. As a teenager we would go out on the lake at night and shine a spotlight across the lake and see the reflection of their eyes and in some lakes they were literally everywhere.

I had no idea they were here until I saw this thread.
    There's not a ton of them, but enough that I have seen them and they had to put up signs saying something to the effect of 'Do Not Molest the Gators' - so enough of them I suppose.The sign makes me want to make a "Florida Man" joke but it clearly says Texas right on it. Dang it!

2012-10-20+11.59.03.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    How many gators are there in any given lake? I’m from central Florida and there can be dozens in an average sized lake. As a teenager we would go out on the lake at night and shine a spotlight across the lake and see the reflection of their eyes and in some lakes they were literally everywhere.

I don’t know how long you have been here but Texas lakes are (mostly) man made and usually fed by rivers so it makes it easier for gators to move around. They can be found in pretty much any eastern lake or river from Lake Texoma down to the coast.

I don’t scare easily, but those night eyes give me the willies.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX

I’ve lived in Florida and in an area surrounded by coastal marshland along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and know exactly what you mean. There were always tons of them and were very entertaining to watch. While I respected them and even swam not too far from them, they never really scared me unless they were bigger than 7 feet. What scared me more were the water moccasins or getting a toe bit off by accidentally stepping on an unseen snapping turtle (Yeah, not the smartest thing to cast a bait net barefoot in swampy, murky water in the days of my invincible youth.)

Anyway, I suspected there might be a few in North Texas water bodies. I’ve heard southeast Texas also has some big ones that rival the size of the big ones in Florida and Louisiana.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    …and before someone asks, I don’t have any “Florida man” stories about gators. I have no idea why it seems like Florida has the dumbest hicks in the country.
    I should keep my mouth shut about my younger days in Florida then. But I will say my buddy was chased by a Mama gator as he tried to run away with a baby gator in each arm.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    This topic came up on our Neighbor Next Door this weekend. Someone posted this map I thought was kinda cool-

View attachment 260144
    makes me wonder how close I came to a gator when I was a kid in the 70’s/80’s swimming in the Brazos river in Lake Jackson or skiing on Lake Conroe in the 90’s. Conroe was probably safer since deeper water and noisy boat, but a 8-10 year old in relatively shadow water in the river kind of gives me pause in hindsight

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've seen plenty of them over the years. I've had 3 close run ins with a few over the years. The craziest was back when I kayak fished alot. I was fishing Lake Raven @ Huntsville state park. I had depth finder on & could see a 10'-12' following me on bottom for about 20 minutes. It was pretty crazy.

The closest in my kayak. I was on the coast taking narrow bayou to a back lake for some redfish. It was early morning, sun not over the horizon but enough light to see. I had about a 8' up in the marsh grass jump off the bank about 4' in front of my 14' kayak. That scared the shit out of me that morning. My pants were wet but not sure from paddle drip or piss.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    There was a monster gator in the swamps owned by Lone Star Steel up in Lone Star, TX. I saw pictures of it a business associate had snapped. This thing was 10 ft easy.

Top Bottom