• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • icemaster109

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Denton
    Hello

I am think about purchasing/building an SBR and was wondering about the CLEO sign off within Denton County.

1. What type of background check do they perform. I dont have a criminal background at all. In fact I am a former police officer for a city that was within Denton county, I still have my state peace officer certificate as well. Likewise I'm former military (USCG, USAF). Does the CLEO take these into consideration when signing off?

2. Which is the best organization within my county (I live within Denton city limits) - I have the DA, Chief of Denton Police or the Sheriff? Have there been any problems within Denton in regards to getting sign offs for SBRs?

Thanks
    Texas SOT

superchi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    According to the sticky thread at the top of this forum on local CLEO sign offs, Sheriff Benny Parkey of Denton County does sign off on NFA paperwork. Although, the last confirmed report was about a year ago. Also, the older posts about him say that he runs his own background check taking about a month, but the latest post says the turnaround was two days so possibly the Sheriff may not be doing his own background check any more.

I'd suggest getting in touch with him and seeing if he'll sign off on the paperwork, here's the link to his contact info:
    Denton County, Texas - Sheriff

If you have any trouble getting your form(s) signed off, then I would suggest the trust route, which is a fairly simple process. I had mine spit out of Quicken Willmaker and had no problems submitting it with my Form 1.

icemaster109

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Denton
    Thanks

I did see the sticky post above, however the information seemed dated. I wanted to know if anyone had any recent experiences.

Thanks

superchi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Yeah I should've posted that it seems YMMV at this time since those posts are a year and older.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    If he won't sign off or if he takes a month, I can prepare a trust for you. Sometimes the cost of a trust is less than the value of your time spent getting the fingerprints, photos and waiting onthe CLEO to sign off on the form 1.

Top Bottom