Join TexasGunTalk

Dental phobia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mohawk600, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    Except for the inconvenience of traveling (my dentist's office is far away) I don't mind having my teeth cleaned or what have you.

Plus, it's an all women practice, the dentist, the hygienists, the clerical staff all terrific women.

2. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Don't be a wussie, go the CIA route of no anesthesia so you don't talk sensitive or classified information while you're under!

Seriously, after our excellent dentist in Helotes retired a few years back, I had a tough time finding a replacement. Many dentistry have become more like 'Super Cuts' when I am looking for a "good, old-fashioned barber." I have found a doctor close to where we live that is more old school than franchise, but his hours are limited (he opens early and is closed on Fridays).

As for actually undergoing dental procedures, 25 years of the USAF's "dental hobby shop" has made everything since that seem much more competent and up-to-date. Whereas sometimes that little rubber mask and squirt gun feels like waterboarding, for the most part I can relax and even fall asleep while being worked on, and that with only using a local anesthetic.

The USAF yanked my wisdom teeth during my first assignment, despite my not having any problem with them. It's SOP for the Air Force, whereas the Army doesn't do anything until it absolutely has to. If you want to keep your wisdom teeth in the USAF, they will let you; but in a little plastic treasure chest. Those babies are coming out whether you want them to or not! I too had to have someone take me back to the barracks, and I felt miserable for several days afterward (and couldn't eat popcorn for months!). Granted, this was in 1982 so things may have gotten better, but for some reasons I doubt it!

Southpaw likes this.
  3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Ditto.
    Except for the GF part.

4. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Nov 7, 2015
    MMM,

I had my wisdom teeth removed with a hammer and chisel while awake. They had to be removed as all but one was impacted.

However, if they're not impacted, what's the AF's reasoning that ALL wisdom teeth be yanked?

Do you know?

Thanks!

5. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Me before leaving to the dentist office

tenor.gif

6. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m not MMM, but I did, until recently, have an AF career.

Generally speaking, the AF unilaterally believes wisdom teeth are predicted to cause problems and prefers to remove wisdom teeth in an environment that can be controlled as opposed to waiting until a problem occurs either at altitude (exceedingly rare) or while TDY/deployed (more likely).

When I went on Active Duty as a flyer in 1996, the dentist highly encouraged me to have them removed. I asked if it was medically necessary at this time. He said no, but it could impact my deployability. I deferred.

At every single dental appointment from that point forward, it was either recommended (or twice) threatened to be ordered removal, which isn’t a lawful order; they can recommend someone be classified as non-deployable though. At that point, a commander can either accept or reject the recommendation. Usually, a commander will accept the recommendation, but that doesn’t result in an order to have the procedure done. I had one commander who point blank told the Dental Squadron commander that any downgrades for wisdom teeth would be rejected unless proven immediately medically necessary.

Except the two threats, I declined. For the two threats, I simply offered for their commander to call my commander to resolve the issue. Magically, the motivation to ‘direct’ removal went away.

My understanding is that in today’s AF, once you get to about 25 years old, if you haven’t had a problem, they’ll quit worrying about it unless a real problem shows up.

Dad_Roman and majormadmax like this.
  7. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Nov 7, 2015
    toddnjoyce,

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  8. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I would agree that wisdom teeth are a problem for troops in the field. Even a seemingly "normal" tooth can go bad with little notice and cause pain, swelling, and progressively worse and worse infection. Given the minimal risk of removal it's a good thing to do for troops, or anyone, that will have limited access to care and cannot tolerate unexpected downtime.

toddnjoyce and majormadmax like this.
  9. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Nov 7, 2015
    TX OMFS,

Couldn't that reasoning extend to tonsils and appendix and heck one's gall bladder.

Probably more stuff we could offload cuz it might go sour...whaddaya think?

Hey, yank ALL our teeth, then no potential tooth-el problems.

What else should we consider jettisoning...?

Yeah, I'm being a smart aleck...just for fun.

10. rotor

rotor Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    If you live long enough and don't die of something else prostate cancer (for the men of course) will get you. The equivalent of the prostate in women is the uterus, much easier to remove and most women are glad to not have it after childbearing is over.