• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've got a couple of Fan-Tex Ash trees that were beautiful shade trees. Planted them about 17 years ago. Usually they are the first to bud out every year, but this year, doesn't look like they made it through the storm. :( Looks like they are dead. I hate to lose them, they both looked like this last October. Is there a chance for them?
    20201018_155216.jpg

20210420_095014.jpg

They look like this now.
    Military Camp

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Took out my Japanese thornless mesquite trees as well.
    If I had before and current photos would look just like yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    My apple trees were way late to bud... I also thought a mountain laurel was dead, but it is putting on new growth.

Try scratching the bark on a few small limbs to see if they are green or dead.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    We have a gorgeous 'bottle brush tree' that looks mighty dead to me due to the freeze, but SWMBO says hold on, it'll be fine...I doubt it, but I was wrong once before ok...twice.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Got a fig tree that has yet to start budding. The land owner is sad about it since they planted it 20 years ago when they bought the place. Still waiting to see what happens though.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    We have a gorgeous 'bottle brush tree' that looks mighty dead to me due to the freeze, but SWMBO says hold on, it'll be fine...I doubt it, but I was wrong once before ok...twice.
    Our bottlebrush tree died to the ground a few years back after a hard freeze. Came back from the roots and in the second year was back to full height.

Died to the ground again this year after the deep freeze. Cut all the dead limbs off at the ground. Shoots already coming up from the roots (faster than last time).

Cut all dead limbs to the ground and be patient. Might come back from the roots this year, or if not next year.

Hawthorns and a number of other shrubs are not coming back at all.

Holly bushes and japanese boxwood did just fine.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If the roots didn't freeze they might come back. And they may just put up a new trunk so not quite so pretty. Aka, if the main trunk (cambion layer) is broken - it's gone but roots may put up unsightly new growth.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If the roots didn't freeze they might come back. And they may just put up a new trunk so not quite so pretty. Aka, if the main trunk (cambion layer) is broken - it's gone but roots may put up unsightly new growth.
    Yeah, some of the roots are pretty shallow, sometimes above the ground.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I have 11 crepe myrtles. 10 came back but one has zero bud growth and only has a few suckers. I never liked that tree so I am not losing any sleep over it. I read that some varieties will mske it but others will not. Patience is the best approach if you are concerned.

My live oaks took a long time to produce leaves after the freeze but they are coming back now and looks like they should have 30% - 40% leaf canopy this year which shoukd increase year by year as the old girls recover over time

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    didn't know anything could kill a crepe myrtle. Mine are back but oleander is kaput.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My live oaks took a long time to produce leaves after the freeze but they are coming back now and looks like they should have 30% - 40% leaf canopy this year which shoukd increase year by year as the old girls recover over time

This was my concern. I have some huge live oaks, but they are growing leaves.

Top Bottom