• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    This was my concern. I have some huge live oaks, but they are growing leaves.
    Same here. But I figured they were old enough they had seen this kind of cold before. Was still a little unnerving to see every single leaf drop. Back to near 100% now.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Nature has a way of taking care of it's self. Just like it has been doing for billions of years.
    NO such thing as global warming. IT IS nature. Leave nature alone and it cures it's self.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Why do some of y'all have bottle brush trees? I got one because I liked the look of it. I planted it and it grew wonderfully. And it was gorgeous.

But even though it was far away, at the end of my driveway, I could stand at my kitchen sink and see the literal cloud of wasps that swarmed around it all day. You better believe I cut that thing down and did my best to pull it out by the roots as soon as winter came.

As for stuff that was killed by the freeze, I lost one bush (the rest of them have grown better than any spring I can remember) and two large succulents that I forgot to cover. I'm leaving the succulents alone in hopes that they may rebound in a year. My family has had them for over 50 years and I'm really hoping they aren't completely dead.

jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    My fig tree wasn't affected at all. But my Mandarin orange tree looks pretty bad. However I haven't given up on it quite yet. And my "seven sisters" roses are doing fine.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Plants will surprise you. We cut back a ton of stuff we thought was gone for sure, but nature (almost) always finds a way and much of it is growing quite well. Rose bush lit up for sure, guess those suckers like the cold. The aloe, not so much :)

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    oldag,

Thanks for the tip about the bottle brush tree...will show to my wife as she actually planted it some (many) years ago...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Why do some of y'all have bottle brush trees? I got one because I liked the look of it. I planted it and it grew wonderfully. And it was gorgeous.

But even though it was far away, at the end of my driveway, I could stand at my kitchen sink and see the literal cloud of wasps that swarmed around it all day. You better believe I cut that thing down and did my best to pull it out by the roots as soon as winter came.

As for stuff that was killed by the freeze, I lost one bush (the rest of them have grown better than any spring I can remember) and two large succulents that I forgot to cover. I'm leaving the succulents alone in hopes that they may rebound in a year. My family has had them for over 50 years and I'm really hoping they aren't completely dead.

My bottlebrush attracts humming birds, butterflies and honey bees. Never had a problem with wasps, but then I actively destroy their nests as soon as they pop up in the spring.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Ben,

Like oldag, we've never had a wasp problem with our bottle brush tree, honeybees yes, but they've never been a problem.

In fact, I love that honeybees come around.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I'd give them a couple more weeks.
    Lot's of plants we thought were dead have just started budding out.
    Good advice. Our local radio garden guy said give plants until July 4th to show signs of life. We have a mountain laurel down the hill that looked decimated. All the leaves turned brown and dropped. The other day I noticed that the trunk and branches are still green. It may yet bounce back.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Our big liveoak absolutely rained leaves for at least 3 weeks. Man what a mess to clean up. To look at it now you would never know anything happened. Drift roses that I thought were crappy are blooming like mad. Wife said "see". A clematis that we both were giving up last fall, especially after I nicked it with the weedeater has grown like a weed and is blooming like nobody's business. It's the 35 foot palm tree at the back of our lot that is worrying us now.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My shorter palm I cut all the dead fronds and it's growing. The tall one is too tall to clean up, been watching from the ground but still don't see any green up there.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    My shorter palm I cut all the dead fronds and it's growing. The tall one is too tall to clean up, been watching from the ground but still don't see any green up there.
    Same here on the too tall, according to BW. Cut the fronds off the sagos and they are coming back. Have had to do this before so kind of expected they would.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Chlordane was a good product that got banned too. I actually worked a couple of years for the manufacturer. In Beaumont we had fire ants back along the drainage canal and somehow got fleas in the yard. Found some old chlordane I had for a couple of moves or so and treated the yard. Killed the fire ants, fleas, lizards, small children and stray cats. Just kidding about the last two of course and every time it rained that summer our back yard smelled like chlordane and I had applied it very lightly.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This was my concern. I have some huge live oaks, but they are growing leaves.

Live oaks are rocking along fine. Lost a tree on the side of my house, but its sprouting leaves in the middle of the trunk. Weird.

Also lost several shrubs. trimmed them back but left enough to wrap a chain around. Planning to get my son over to help me yank them out soon.

Top Bottom