• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I was out in the woods yesterday, well before the storm, and encountered a dead Oppossum right in the middle of the trail. It was only about 200 yards from the house. It was an adult and didn't have a mark on it. It wasn't PLAYING dead. It WAS dead. Still is.
    I poked it with a stick and it had not been dead long. No sign of struggle or injury.
    What do you think? Old age? Natural causes?
    I've never encountered a freshly dead animal without signs of the cause of death.
    It's private property and I did not hear any shots to indicate a trespasser hunting. Nor did I see blood.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I was out in the woods yesterday, well before the storm, and encountered a dead Oppossum right in the middle of the trail. It was only about 200 yards from the house. It was an adult and didn't have a mark on it. It wasn't PLAYING dead. It WAS dead. Still is.
    I poked it with a stick and it had not been dead long. No sign of struggle or injury.
    What do you think? Old age? Natural causes?
    I've never encountered a freshly dead animal without signs of the cause of death.
    It's private property and I did not hear any shots to indicate a trespasser hunting. Nor did I see blood.
    Bigfoot gift giving.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I carried a "dead" one home by the tail when I was about 12. Suckers were always gettin in my coon traps but I'd skin em out and sell their hides too. I had shot it in the head and was carrying it by the tail. 30 minutes later I happened to glance down and it was curled up, teeth bared, about to take a bite of my hand. I let go purty quick.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I carried a "dead" one home by the tail when I was about 12. Suckers were always gettin in my coon traps but I'd skin em out and sell their hides too. I had shot it in the head and was carrying it by the tail. 30 minutes later I happened to glance down and it was curled up, teeth bared, about to take a bite of my hand. I let go purty quick.
    I had that happen with a squirrel when I was young. Shot it with a .22 and it hit the ground. I bent down to pick him up while trying to keep my eye on his buddy, still jumping from limb to limb. He clamped down on my finger and bit right through the tip!
    I got the last word and had him for dinner...with a band-aid on my finger.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I had that happen with a squirrel when I was young. Shot it with a .22 and it hit the ground. I bent down to pick him up while trying to keep my eye on his buddy, still jumping from limb to limb. He clamped down on my finger and bit right through the tip!
    I got the last word and had him for dinner...with a band-aid on my finger.

Damn, I used to take them out with a pellet gun, I'm going to call myself lucky that never happened to me.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I composted hundreds of them after pellet gun treatment in our pecan trees. Dogs got so riled up if I came out the back door with a rifle though, it made the game harder. Had a few that tried to gnaw on the dogs, but the latter have bigger teeth.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Dead skunk here...freaking buzzards won't even touch it.......luckily those not paying attention are running over it and hastening decomposition.....

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Little bro shot a turkey out of a 60 ft tree & it landed very close to me with a WHOMP! He was DEAD - no need for no stinkin' Coup de Graz. We chased the escaping herd & when we returned, the dead turkey was GONE! Never found the body.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    My dog used to kill them and never left marks on them. Never saw him in action but I imagine that he shook it or jumped on it until it gave up the ghost.

Their game never seemed to work where he was concerned.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Damn, I used to take them out with a pellet gun, I'm going to call myself lucky that never happened to me.
    The dog was going nuts one night under a persimmon tree due to a possum. Put 10 pumps on a .177 rifle and hit him from 6', he just :rolleyes: at me. 7 or 8 more rounds caused some leakage but he's still crawlin around the tree, F'it, I'm goin inside. Checked an hour later and he was still up there but in the morning he was grounded.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    As kids the neighbors dog killed one. This one had babies & being a marsupial we learned about the pouch & baby marsupials.
    A few years ago I got one while she was eating eggs in the hen house one night. It was weird when I noticed them the next morning still squirming while she was very dead. I felt a little bad, but by that point the only question was how long they'd take to die.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Agreed. My previous story happened some 20+ years ago in Spring. I've since learned 'possum are quite advantageous to humans and give them a pass.
    Yep, I prefer to let them do their thing. Only time I take one out is if it figures out that chickens are tasty. And I go through some effort to keep them from figuring that out.

Top Bottom