Deactivate "Dip" used for cleaning silencers??

Texasgrillchef

Jul 27, 2018
Lewisville
What is the best way to deactivate and dispose of the dip (Peroxide and Vinegar) after you clean your silencer?

My city does NOT accept this solution for disposal at their hazardous waste collection facility.

I have seen someone say mix with sulfuric acid. and it will percipitate the lead out. Then one can dispose of the liquid. And use the lead perciptate with your other raw lead to make your hard lead projectiles??

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
What is the best way to deactivate and dispose of the dip (Peroxide and Vinegar) after you clean your silencer?

My city does NOT accept this solution for disposal at their hazardous waste collection facility.

I have seen someone say mix with sulfuric acid. and it will percipitate the lead out. Then one can dispose of the liquid. And use the lead perciptate with your other raw lead to make your hard lead projectiles??
Me being me, I would precipitate the metals out of solution, neutralize and down the sink it goes.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dove

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Sep 25, 2018
Texas
Me being me would never put myself in that situation.;)
Other than that dump it on some sawdust and let it air dry then toss it.

wbblazer90

Nov 18, 2014
Don’t mess with it, the solution you are making is peracetic acid which is great for cleaning stainless surfaces. However when you use it to clean stainless baffles on a suppressor the resulting compound yields lead acetate, which is highly toxic to humans. Even the fumes are toxic. That crap needs to be handled with a hazmat suit and disposed at a facility equipped to handle it.

So now you have some and can’t find a place to get rid of it. Keep calling around, maybe ask the closest industrial or chemical company near you.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
Nov 7, 2015
Dip: What I used to enjoy...Copenhagen, Skoal and on occasion many a cigar/cigarette and Day's Work/Levi Garrit/Redman chew and the very best, but hard to find Mailpouch...the best chew ever (dry, not at all sweet)..well Mickey Twist was pretty good too...but today's metro-sexual would never deign to enjoy something so toxically masculine... male, my hands are dirty... ewwww, pussies.

Here let me help me you dear...I enjoy changing diapers with our new baby said dan to steve...

Glad, to find I'm about to slip onto my 'longevity peel' (that is, soon to be dead) as I'm disgusted with what used to be what a 'man' is about...not a woman with a penis, but a 'man'...

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas
Don’t mess with it, the solution you are making is peracetic acid which is great for cleaning stainless surfaces. However when you use it to clean stainless baffles on a suppressor the resulting compound yields lead acetate, which is highly toxic to humans. Even the fumes are toxic. That crap needs to be handled with a hazmat suit and disposed at a facility equipped to handle it.

So now you have some and can’t find a place to get rid of it. Keep calling around, maybe ask the closest industrial or chemical company near you.
Your chemistry is wrong.
Peracetic acid requires an additional strong acid catalyst

H2O2 1:1 with vinager isn't peractic acid, though a very miniscule amount may form. The acetic acid (vinegar) reacts with the lead to form a toxic, but sweet tasting water soluble compound called Lead(II) acetate. The hydrogen peroxide mostly forms bubbles and keeps everything moving so the reaction doesn't stop.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads