2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.

lairdoglencairn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2022
    Houston
    If you're new to Texas and you had the impression you could hunt for free well Texas doesn't do much of that. It's high dollar or make friends who own land. The open public land is a hard game. Personally I don't even consider it.
    Yeah I’ve never tried it and the thought scares me a little! I’ve lucked into a few hunts and I pay for a weekend hunt annually. The paid hunt is hit or miss, which was fine when it was cheap but it’s creeping up there in price and I’m just trying to figure out options.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Yeah, it's not like it used to be. It's all about $ now.
    And for the land owners who cry Piggy Piggy Piggy but won't open their gates can just just suck it up.
    I get all the hassles and stupidity from some hunters / shooters but there are steps that can be taken to avoid the damages to an extent.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    And for the land owners who cry Piggy Piggy Piggy but won't open their gates can just just suck it up.
    I get all the hassles and stupidity from some hunters / shooters but there are steps that can be taken to avoid the damages to an extent.
    Biggest one is not letting “hunters “ on their property and hiring professional trappers or spending a couple of grand and buying their own high tech traps.

I’ll let you in on a little secret, no one is crying about pigs except the California/Blue state transplants that bought 1-5 acre tracts near existing wildland areas.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I found a day lease some years ago that seemed like a pretty decent place. The owner had property that was in a canyon that was very difficult to get to. It bordered on a ranch with a high game fence. The owner had several deer blinds with nice feeders and had them loaded with corn. He told me that the deer were eating up all of his corn, so I should be able to shoot one pretty easily if I just hunted diligently. Well, I did that for the 3 days I paid for and I didn't see a single deer. (To be fair, the wind was blowing very hard the whole time and not much game was moving.) What I did see was more raccoons that I've ever seen in my life. They swarmed those feeders and ate every ounce of the corn, some of them hanging off the side and reaching in to turn the spinner. I shot one, scattering the others. Within 5 minutes, those little bandits were back climbing over that one's dead body to get back to eating corn. There were no pigs on the property and the deer never saw a grain of that corn.

The cabin on the place was an old pole barn converted to living space. It had electricity and propane for the stove. The propane system had a leak I could smell from quite a ways, so I avoided turning the tank on. There were several hundred mice inside the building and they ran around all night. There were also several small birds that got in some way. The owner claimed that Indians had used that area at one time and there was a part of the property that had produced a lot of arrowheads. He showed me an "oat patch" that he had sown and claimed that it really brought in the deer. There were at least 6 oat plants in the plot he had planted. I didn't say anything, figuring that he might be imagining the crop he described.

I did some searching around other advertised leases and, as someone else pointed out, there were some places that had 10 acres and supposedly could accommodate 12 hunters. One owner told me that his place was small, but the deer on the property next door would slip over onto his place and if you were just quick, you could shoot them before they got to the next property.

I was on a really good lease up until a couple of years ago. The guy who ran it died and the owner sold it off. The only places I've found that I could afford were overrun with wahoos that made the place too crazy to hunt. The one that I had for a year was timber property, so logging operations kept it torn up. One of the guys on the lease put GPS dog collars on his kids and let them ride all over the place on 4-wheelers. People ran pigs with dogs outside of deer season, so the deer all became nocturnal. I had great pictures on game cameras - at 3 a.m. Opening weekend the camping area on the place must have had 200 people in it. Wives, girlfriends (sometimes both), booze, kids, dogs, you name it. Opening day, they shot one deer - a pathetic doe that wouldn't dress out enough to make a sandwich. The guy who shot it swore that it was a buck that he saw and the little deer must have jumped up and took the bullet.

Not being able to find anything I can afford - either seasonal or day hunting - and getting old, I'm thinking seriously about selling off my hunting gear and giving it all up. Just another step in getting ready for the bone yard. Makes me incredibly sad.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I found a day lease some years ago that seemed like a pretty decent place. The owner had property that was in a canyon that was very difficult to get to. It bordered on a ranch with a high game fence. The owner had several deer blinds with nice feeders and had them loaded with corn. He told me that the deer were eating up all of his corn, so I should be able to shoot one pretty easily if I just hunted diligently. Well, I did that for the 3 days I paid for and I didn't see a single deer. (To be fair, the wind was blowing very hard the whole time and not much game was moving.) What I did see was more raccoons that I've ever seen in my life. They swarmed those feeders and ate every ounce of the corn, some of them hanging off the side and reaching in to turn the spinner. I shot one, scattering the others. Within 5 minutes, those little bandits were back climbing over that one's dead body to get back to eating corn. There were no pigs on the property and the deer never saw a grain of that corn.

The cabin on the place was an old pole barn converted to living space. It had electricity and propane for the stove. The propane system had a leak I could smell from quite a ways, so I avoided turning the tank on. There were several hundred mice inside the building and they ran around all night. There were also several small birds that got in some way. The owner claimed that Indians had used that area at one time and there was a part of the property that had produced a lot of arrowheads. He showed me an "oat patch" that he had sown and claimed that it really brought in the deer. There were at least 6 oat plants in the plot he had planted. I didn't say anything, figuring that he might be imagining the crop he described.

I did some searching around other advertised leases and, as someone else pointed out, there were some places that had 10 acres and supposedly could accommodate 12 hunters. One owner told me that his place was small, but the deer on the property next door would slip over onto his place and if you were just quick, you could shoot them before they got to the next property.

I was on a really good lease up until a couple of years ago. The guy who ran it died and the owner sold it off. The only places I've found that I could afford were overrun with wahoos that made the place too crazy to hunt. The one that I had for a year was timber property, so logging operations kept it torn up. One of the guys on the lease put GPS dog collars on his kids and let them ride all over the place on 4-wheelers. People ran pigs with dogs outside of deer season, so the deer all became nocturnal. I had great pictures on game cameras - at 3 a.m. Opening weekend the camping area on the place must have had 200 people in it. Wives, girlfriends (sometimes both), booze, kids, dogs, you name it. Opening day, they shot one deer - a pathetic doe that wouldn't dress out enough to make a sandwich. The guy who shot it swore that it was a buck that he saw and the little deer must have jumped up and took the bullet.

Not being able to find anything I can afford - either seasonal or day hunting - and getting old, I'm thinking seriously about selling off my hunting gear and giving it all up. Just another step in getting ready for the bone yard. Makes me incredibly sad.
    I hunt by invitation in Texas. Usually near end of regular season or spike and doe season to clean up lesser deer that paid hunters won’t shoot.

I have a 1200 acre lease in Arkansas with 9 other folks and it is $525 a year. Factor in a $350 out of state hunting license and it is still scads less expensive than hunting in Texas and the deer are bigger up here.

lairdoglencairn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2022
    Houston

Your day lease sounds a lot like my day lease! I’ve killed way more mice than I have deer but the landowner insists he’s covered up with great deer.

I hope you find something, makes me sad to hear you’re thinking about giving it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Back in my old pipeline days (1980s), we used to get invited to deer leases by vendors. Mostly the engineers got the invites, but I helped enough of them that I got swept along with them. Some of the leases were pretty cool. One of them was near Del Rio and it had been a target practice area for fighter planes training for WWII. There was 50 cal. brass everywhere and you could still see the lettering that the poor GIs that worked there had to make with rocks. (There would be a long line of rocks marking off an area and the words "No Pass", for example.) Shot some great deer (no record racks, but nice). Refused to shoot some javelina. (You can smell them long before you see them.) It was a lot of fun. Back then, a group of us would go in on a "poor boy" lease that didn't have a lot going for it, but we'd build stands and clear shooting lanes, and work together to make it usable. Again, a lot of fun.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Try to ask smaller landowners. I always tell that I raised cattle when younger, and understand about gates, etc.
    Also, I’ve learned to pick up hulls and drink cans. Just don’t take glass containers into the field. Report broken fences & livestock problems to the owners. If anyone allows you to hunt “free”, control the behavior of those with you, and try to take something, a small gift, for the landowner or resident manager. In the “olden days”, fresh milk, newspapers, & whiskey were popular. Today, try ice cream or adult beverages. Many ofur problems with landowners were caused by misbehavior of prior “hunters”.

SIGO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2022
    Fort Worth
    I tried public lands hunting in Georgia. When some yahoo shot my white pickup, two days before rifle season, while I was driving it on a recon, I decided public lands weren’t for me. I was hoping Texas would be different… I know, bit it never hurts to dream

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I tried public lands hunting in Georgia. When some yahoo shot my white pickup, two days before rifle season, while I was driving it on a recon, I decided public lands weren’t for me. I was hoping Texas would be different… I know, bit it never hurts to dream
    The farther from large urban areas, the better.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    When you see that sprawling acreage all fenced in and that nice entrance or plural. Yeah you aint getting on that shit.
    Look for hidden places, places that have junk in front of or close to the homes. Old tractors, farm equipment or cars and trucks.
    Watch for pickups coming out of gated areas try to get their attention and conversate with them. Visit small eateries and talk to people rather than just eating. Old dudes have land and old dudes love to talk. Make a friend and see where it leads. Offer help and Never push anything they aren't interested in.
    I learnt this as a pup. Thanks Dad!

Top Bottom