• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    BB guns were where I taught my boys the clear delineation from toys like the Nerf dart guns we still have battles with (they're 18 and 19) and weapons. They understood that line pretty well - never fired a BB at each other.

I saw no reason to teach them not to point toy guns at each other. It's awful boring to play with them when you only have imaginary opponents (a childhood with no other kids to play with taught me that) and dart gun fights are part of a good childhood. The important lesson in my opinion was "weapon vs not-a-weapon". They also didn't have any trouble telling the difference between their foam Nerf swords and the machetes we use on brush and undergrowth, which they were swinging from 10 years old.
    >

I, and many others, see toys as the ideal time to begin teaching important life lessons.

leVieux
    Lynx Defense

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Many years back, while in the Army, a fellow Officer & I had to become de-facto “RSO’s” for a company of Medical Officers. They had zero background in weapons, and it showed badly.

Unless you’ve seen it, it would be unbelievable. Some were so bad that I had to stand directly behind them, arms outstretched, to prevent their sweeping the line with finger on trigger.

The C.O. Insisted that they all “qualify”. That meant hitting a standard target at 50 yards w/ the Iron sights on the Stoners. Quite a few never could never even hit the target. Big city boys. . . . .

Made me appreciate my Dad & Grandpa.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    The most ignorant are ignorant of their own ignorance...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Ignorance is bliss

which kid will more likely continue to smoke.

Father catches son smoking

Son here is a list of why smoking is bad and you should not do it even if your friends tell you to

2Nd father catches son smoking.

Heads to the local liquor store picks up a pack of cheap shit cigars comes home and says son if your going to smoke you can smoke with me. After 3-4 and the kid is green and puking his guts out.

I know I never smoked again

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ignorance is bliss

which kid will more likely continue to smoke.

Father catches son smoking

Son here is a list of why smoking is bad and you should not do it even if your friends tell you to

2Nd father catches son smoking.

Heads to the local liquor store picks up a pack of cheap shit cigars comes home and says son if your going to smoke you can smoke with me. After 3-4 and the kid is green and puking his guts out.

I know I never smoked again

Knowing that the second situation was guaranteed to happen was enough to keep me from being interested in smoking.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Knowing that the second situation was guaranteed to happen was enough to keep me from being interested in smoking.
    It happened to my mom. After she tried to use one of his discarded cigars, her father made her sit on the porch and smoke until she puked. She was about 8 or 9. 50 years later she still got green around the gills when she told that story. :)

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    My older brother and I used hunt and shoot each other with BB guns. In the summer we would put on out winter jackets to absorb the pain. But, our legs, hands, and face were right out in the open. Looking back, I'm surprised we didn't shoot each other in the eye.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Thank God I didn't grow up in a house where my parents ruined my fun with damn toy gun safety. That's ridicules.

We have one rule.... don't shoot in the face.

Now... BB guns are different. The kids cannot shoot their BB guns without supervision.

This, exactly. Toys are toys, BB guns are not. I also didn't make my kids observe traffic laws with their Hot Wheels cars.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I had an old business partner that's still wearing a pellet in his sternum. Doctors told him it was too close to his heart to risk removal. A kid I grew up with took one in the underside of his chin during a birthday party out in the country. Although purely accidental (someone shooting into a fire ) it could have been nasty. 3 inches higher an eye, half inch lower the throat or neck.

He lied about it to his parents but when it got infected a doctor had to pull it out from an inch deep under his chin. Needless to say he didn't get to hang out with us much after that. I heed your warning and support some practical caution.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Some of y'all never made match shooters from clothes pins and it shows. There's nothing like shooting flaming kitchen matches at each other.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Some of y'all never made match shooters from clothes pins and it shows. There's nothing like shooting flaming kitchen matches at each other.
    You can do something similar wrapping foil around a match head and hearing it up.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A neighbor shot me with his new air gun one Christmas. I beat the living crap out of him with it. His name was Konrad Karl with two K's as he was fond of saying. It was a multi pumper type so it wasn't a cheap Springer. That shit went thru my leather belt and stuck in my skin. It hurt. When I was done the front end was bent in the shape if his back and the stock broke off. Apparently instant negative reinforcement thru pummeling with the offending weapon is a popular theme by those shot with one. Lol.

His parents came a collecting for my dad to replace it and after finding out what happened told his dad he should leave unless he wanted the adults to repeat the earlier activities.

Put your eye out indeed.
    They can get you a beating too.

Top Bottom