• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

As Christmas approaches, please be reminded that all children should be given extensive gun safety instruction well BEFORE they are given any unsupervised access to any “gun”.

During my long Medical career, I have seen all sorts of gun injuries. Indeed, I saw two different cases of preteen boys killed by “Red Ryder” type spring BB guns, and had a schoolmate permanently blinded by a BB gun.

Both of the boys were shot close-range in the left parasternal chest. Both were taken to Emergency Departments, where the significance of the injuries were seriously underestmated. Both were sent home and died of cardiac tamponade from atrial penetration blood leakage during the night.

My Family began instruction very early, with the first TOY guns, and enforced absolute safety, even with harmless playthings, to indoctrinate.

Please practice “Safety FIRST”.

leVieux
    ARJ Defense ad

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    >

As Christmas approaches, please be reminded that all children should be given extensive gun safety instruction well BEFORE they are given any unsupervised access to any “gun”.

During my long Medical career, I have seen all sorts of gun injuries. Indeed, I saw two different cases of preteen boys killed by “Red Ryder” type spring BB guns, and had a schoolmate permanently blinded by a BB gun.

Both of the boys were shot close-range in the left parasternal chest. Both were taken to Emergency Departments, where the significance of the injuries were seriously underestmated. Both were sent home and died of cardiac tamponade from atrial penetration blood leakage during the night.

My Family began instruction very early, with the first TOY guns, and enforced absolute safety, even with harmless playthings, to indoctrinate.

leVieux
    Lawn darts make nice gifts too, along with glass clackers.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    >

leVieux
    You'll shoot you're eye out kid...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Lawn darts make nice gifts too, along with glass clackers.
    Bow and arrows too - shoot straight up and see how close the arrow will come. Slingshots come to mind. Tennis ball shooters powered by rubbing alcohol.

Actually, this is a good reminder. I was taught to respect firearms AFTER receiving my Daisy gun. Big brother was on the receiving end of those BBs until that time.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    might want to watch out for sharp corners on tables

Curbs, bicycle jump ramps, swimming pools

Basically don't let your kids do anything fun without a 3 hour orientation.

Or let them learn from there own mistakes so they become a confident self sufficient member of society not waiting on a participation trophy

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Or let them learn from there own mistakes so they become a confident self sufficient member of society not waiting on a participation trophy
    I mean, why teach anyone the right way to do something?

Skin grows back, bruises heal, broken bones will eventually grow together again, but losing an eye if permanent and isn't a mistake or lesson to be learned through experience, not to mention that it is probably as or more likely the victim wouldn't be the actor.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My kids have a bb gun. it is kept locked up and they only get to do it with my supervision.
    I gave them a class in gun safety before they were allowed to touch it.
    I have also taught them how to field strip a few pistols and to treat everything as if it were loaded, since most ND's are due to "I thought it wasn't loaded".

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    BB guns were where I taught my boys the clear delineation from toys like the Nerf dart guns we still have battles with (they're 18 and 19) and weapons. They understood that line pretty well - never fired a BB at each other.

I saw no reason to teach them not to point toy guns at each other. It's awful boring to play with them when you only have imaginary opponents (a childhood with no other kids to play with taught me that) and dart gun fights are part of a good childhood. The important lesson in my opinion was "weapon vs not-a-weapon". They also didn't have any trouble telling the difference between their foam Nerf swords and the machetes we use on brush and undergrowth, which they were swinging from 10 years old.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

Yeah, I agree... The goal of preventing all "accidents" just makes kids grow up weak and lacking confidence...

Screenshot_20221128-103100_DuckDuckGo.jpg

If you look at what some kids are doing with parkour, skateboards, bicycles, and the like, you have to realize that some deaths are going to occur among those who dare to push the limits...

Yes, even kids...

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I mean, why teach anyone the right way to do something?

Skin grows back, bruises heal, broken bones will eventually grow together again, but losing an eye if permanent and isn't a mistake or lesson to be learned through experience, not to mention that it is probably as or more likely the victim wouldn't be the actor.

shrug at 6 or so when I got my first rifle I had already been taught right from wrong.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I’m with ya Doc.
    Seen a couple of serious “BB gun” incidents myself.
    One was particularly nasty. Neighbor kid was messing around with an old Benjamin pump air gun. Had his hand over the muzzle when it discharged. Blew the pellet into his hand from the wrist plus the air blast tore the tissue. Yeeesh what a mess.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    That’s why they gave me my .22 instead of a BB gun for my sixth Christmas. They knew I wouldn’t shoot anyone with the .22.

I got a BB gun at 11.

But I'd bet you weren't allowed at 6yrs old to go out and "play" with that .22!

My dad did not want us kids involved with guns. Oh, we had toy guns, but the only things that would loose a projectile were dart guns, and Lord help us if he caught us taking the rubber tips off... which of course we never did. WINK

The kids I played with had CO2 powered BB guns that they were allowed to take out and play. But since my dad didn't allow guns, I never got any safety training and had to rely on logic and fear. Well, 8yr old ain't very big on logic, and fear was not a factor since we all believed a bb could only inflict a skin injury, as long as you didn't shoot your buddy in the eye. So we had "BB gun wars"; both run and gun and sniper nest. I quit doing sniper nest when I shot the opposing tree lodged sniper in the cheek just below the eye... that scared me.

We got in trouble for shooting birds, and bums on the train. Also for blasting out the windows in an old car their dad was saving as a classic.

Yah, unsupervised at that young an age is not the best plan!!!

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    But I'd bet you weren't allowed at 6yrs old to go out and "play" with that .22!

My dad did not want us kids involved with guns. Oh, we had toy guns, but the only things that would loose a projectile were dart guns, and Lord help us if he caught us taking the rubber tips off... which of course we never did. WINK

The kids I played with had CO2 powered BB guns that they were allowed to take out and play. But since my dad didn't allow guns, I never got any safety training and had to rely on logic and fear. Well, 8yr old ain't very big on logic, and fear was not a factor since we all believed a bb could only inflict a skin injury, as long as you didn't shoot your buddy in the eye. So we had "BB gun wars"; both run and gun and sniper nest. I quit doing sniper nest when I shot the opposing tree lodged sniper in the cheek just below the eye... that scared me.

We got in trouble for shooting birds, and bums on the train. Also for blasting out the windows in an old car their dad was saving as a classic.

Yah, unsupervised at that young an age is not the best plan!!!
    I didn’t “play” either with the .22 or the BB gun. At that age I only got a 50 round box of remington ammunition. By ten it was 500 round bricks of 10 round boxes. Sometimes two, a day during summer vacation.

I knew where to shoot and where not to and at what and what not to. I had been shooting since four. Couldn’t hold that Remington 550 worth a shit.

I had more latitude with the BB gun but still....

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    ouldn’t hold that Remington 550 worth a shit.

My kids were like that when I got them shooting. Didn't have them shoot offhand until they could hold the rifle up w/o bowing the back to the rear. Instead I set them up benchrest on a cardboard box and it worked just fine.

Are today's parents getting their kids shooting at a young age? I hope so. It's a hobby for a lifetime!!!

Top Bottom