• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddySEAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Stainless steel media (got it yesterday, and will try soon) in a 15 lb. thumlers tumbler that I have from when I used to polish Texas quartz rocks.
    I'm looking forward to shining my brass inside and out.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I use crushed walnut hulls with red polish rouge in it. The red dust is a problem and I've tried wetting the media down to reduce the dusting. Lately , I've been putting some polish from Frankfort Arsenal into the media and the brass comes out with a nice shine. I tumble my brass for long periods of time and 6 hours isn't unusual for me. I want the grit off of the brass so it won't get in my dies so I just let her run!

I have two of the Lyman Turbo tumblers and not long ago left one running in the garage when I went to bed. Big mistake! In the morning, my white Harley-Davidson had a heavy coating of red dust all over it. That pissed me off highly so now, I run the tumblers on the front porch. I don't care if they make dust, now.

Flash

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The way to deal with dust is just deal with it.

Be sure to put the tumbler away from any sort of ignition!

With walnut media, I let the tumbler run at least twelve hours.

Brass comes out bright and shiny.

If you want that "factory" look, put brass in a pan of water up to 1/2" from the mouth of the case, blast with a propane torch until the brass just begins to change color, then tip all the brass over into the pan of water.

I think they call that "annealing" and makes the brass more malleable and resistant to splitting.

It's a PITA, though.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    so I went to wally world last night and when I was pricing dog food I noticed the word "corn cob" out of the corner of my eye... $5 and I had a 8 lbs more of or less of media that worked like a charm

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am of Scottish ancestry and how do we say this.........careful with money. Don't get me wrong, I spend money but it damn well better produce some good results when I spend it. If not, I go on the warpath!

One thing we have not discussed is how long to use the media. I use crushed Walnut hulls and there comes a point when the media has absorbed enough grit, dirt and oil that it puts as much crap ON the brass as off of it! I've tried tons of additives and polishes but when the results go south, the media goes south, too. I'll just dump it and start over. Working that dirty media is a lost cause and it's just better to toss it than to keep trying to make it work.

How long is that service life? Man, I load my tumblers up big time. They are just filled with brass and the amount of dirt getting into the media is mind boggling. If I've done some huge loads and the results are marginal, I'll add some polish. If that fails to perk up the results, I'll just dump it and refill. Results tell the tale.

Flash

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    You may be over-filling your tumbler. I only fill mine half way. It doesn't take as long that way.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ive had good luck with used dryer sheets for collecting gunk

I tried them but didn't like the smell. They also seemed to make my media moist.

BTW I prefer the scent of Hoppe's #9 to (insert your favorite cologne) any day. Something about pretty smelling media just isn't right.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I use the corn cob media I got years ago, something like $10 for 25#.

Anyway, I tumble with the primer in and when I de-prime, out comes the primer and any media stuck in the flash hole...

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I read that I could use rice. Is this true?

Yes you can, but you are in for a long wait. You need something aggressive and rice doesn't work all that well IMHO. Walnut works well for removing dirt and grime. A dash of paint thinner helps on the worst cases. After loading, if you want a shine, toss it in corncob for a few hours with either wax or kerosene and it will come out gleaming. Then again, ugly brass shoots as well as pretty brass :)

Don

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    East Texas
    I mostly use walnut media for everything with a little Nu-Finish car polish added. I use to use corn cob media for brass that was not too tarnished or dirty, but got tired of changing it out...so just use the walnut/nu-finish on everything.

I also use a Burr-King 150 vibrating tumbler. That sucker is big and does a great job in short time.........
    After time, I throw some cut up dryer sheets in to pick up the dust, can also use cut up paper towels too. Plus that material that is used on bottom of couches or chairs that look like dryer sheets works great too. My wife had a bolt of it and I "Borrowed" some..!!! Don

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    If you have really dirty brass, wash it with a garden hose before you tumble it to remove any mud and really bad dirt. Dry it in the sun a few hours, then put it in a tumbler with old media that doesn't clean or polish very well, along with some dryer sheets cut up, and let it run an hour or two. That's how I clean up really dirty brass. Then you need to run it through regular clean media with Nufinish polish or whatever your favorite is. No point in getting your good media dirty unnecessarily.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom