• ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys,

Ive only got on this forum from my iPhone. I have 2 macs at home one from 2010 and 1 from 2007 (it's in bad shape physically from my wife packing it around).

On my 2010, I recently let it update to the new Sierra OS. Now my trackpad doesn't let me click and the it doesn't start up right. I'm not a tech guy. I'm a mechanical guy. I really need some help with this ASAP.

I just tried booting up the Apple Hardware test and no problems were found.

Please PM me if you can help and I'll give you my phone number or I'll call or FaceTime you for help.

Thank you guys.
    Venture Surplus ad

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Well I pimp slapped my trackpad and it's working again. It wasn't loading because I couldn't click me as the user and put in a password. Now it's 14min til this new OS is installed.

I told you earlier I'm not a tech guy. I'll leave this thread open until my computer starts working. If everything works out I'll close this thread.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    First off, very odd about the trackpad - when you say you pimp slapped it, what does that mean? Do you have a random USB mouse you could plug in?

I have a 2007 MBP I upgraded to the beta and it seemed to be running along well, but I've since handed that down to an employee (upgraded to a '2016 TouchBar MBP). What problems are you experiencing with your wife's?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    First off, very odd about the trackpad - when you say you pimp slapped it, what does that mean? Do you have a random USB mouse you could plug in?

I have a 2007 MBP I upgraded to the beta and it seemed to be running along well, but I've since handed that down to an employee (upgraded to a '2016 TouchBar MBP). What problems are you experiencing with your wife's?
    No USB mouse. I open hand slapped my trackpad with a little force, not too much.

My wife dropped her laptop multiple times and it got in a fight with my neato automated vacuum. It is coming apart and there's a lot of ticking and spinning that I know means that it will die.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You could fix up the wife's, but it really isn't worth it. I maxed out the RAM in my old one, and swapped in an SSD. While I had it apart I cleaned out the fans and stuff, but nothing could change the fact it was an old Core 2 Duo. Might want to plan on upgrading her if the $ is there. 8+ years on a laptop is pretty good.

Now for yours - If the mouse works in recovery mode, and the hardware tests pass, it's obviously a software issue. Have you tried the regular 'boot up in Recovery mode and do the filesystem check / permissions check" stuff? Have you reset the SMC and PRAM?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    You could fix up the wife's, but it really isn't worth it. I maxed out the RAM in my old one, and swapped in an SSD. While I had it apart I cleaned out the fans and stuff, but nothing could change the fact it was an old Core 2 Duo. Might want to plan on upgrading her if the $ is there. 8+ years on a laptop is pretty good.

Now for yours - If the mouse works in recovery mode, and the hardware tests pass, it's obviously a software issue. Have you tried the regular 'boot up in Recovery mode and do the filesystem check / permissions check" stuff? Have you reset the SMC and PRAM?
    I reset pram trying to start it up Friday. I left thinking I might take it in to someone until I got it going. I hear the ssd isn't that hard to do. I might try it to update it later.

Im gonna try and remember how to close this thread.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I haven't taken apart a unibody, but the 2007/08 style is pretty straight forward. I've had a couple different ones apart and back together a few times. From memory, there's 4 phillips screws on each side, 2 in the back, take the battery out, ram cover off (those have torx screws I believe), two screws under that cover, and two more sideways in the battery compartment that fasten the front of the keyboard frame. Once you have all the screws out, the keyboard can be lifted and unclipped. There's clips that retain the keyboard that have to be gently but firmly dislodged, and then you can hinge it towards the screen and unplug the connector. From that point, the HD will be in the near left corner, and is retained by a cast aluminum bar with two torx screws. Remove those and the bar, then lift out the HD so you can unplug the SATA/power connector. Swap the screw posts and rubber isolators to the new SSD, plug it in, and reassemble. Doing it your first time you'll probably want an hour total. I can do it in about 5 minutes now lol.

Top Bottom