• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    On my way home from Academy I was listening to the Rush show. Caller called in, well duh... that's what callers do don't cha' know, Anyhow... He said he had researched Federal election law and what he's come up with is this.... In the event that on Jan. 20th. the winner of the Presidential election can not be determined(think mail in ballots) at that time the current Speaker of the House will assume the Presidency. And with that bit of insight comes the Ahhh Haaa moment when trying to figure out the underlying motive the Dim'cats have for mail in voting.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    In the event that on Jan. 20th. the winner of the Presidential election can not be determined(think mail in ballots) at that time the current Speaker of the House will assume the Presidency.

Without bothering to see if he's right or not, my first question is:
    Exactly who gets to make the determination regarding the winner of the election?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Votes by the electoral college determine the election winner. What could force a delay in obtaining those results would be the inability Of the states to manually count, confirm, and record millions of mail in votes. As I view it Speaker of the House would temporarily assume the position of the presidency while the votes are being tabulated by the states. The scary part is realizing exactly how much damage Pelosi could impart on this country in as little as 30 days.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Votes by the electoral college determine the election winner.

That's a "how"
    not a "who".

It's important to ask "who" in this case, because if we imagine some Democrats are in charge of determining the final tally of electoral college votes, then they can and (as mentioned above) probably will delay, lie, etc, etc, and maybe get Pelosi some time in the Oval Office.

But if it's a committee with a majority of Republicans, then we can be somewhat confident that the results will not be delayed so long as to allow Pelosi to take over.

And again, I haven't bothered to see if this is even an issue. For all I know, Trump remains President until the results of the election are finalized.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Individual states are responsible for reporting their results. The individual states electoral commission is responsible for reporting that states results. On the national level there is little to nothing those dim’cats can do to sway the election. That is the reason for the democratic push for mail in voting - which occurs at the state level. And is also overseen/policed at the state level. States have different criteria to determine what is a valid vote. Check out Virgini’s recent fubar of an election then multiply that by 50 for an idea of how quickly and throughly the National election could get screwed up.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    On my way home from Academy I was listening to the Rush show. Caller called in, well duh... that's what callers do don't cha' know, Anyhow... He said he had researched Federal election law and what he's come up with is this.... In the event that on Jan. 20th. the winner of the Presidential election can not be determined(think mail in ballots) at that time the current Speaker of the House will assume the Presidency. And with that bit of insight comes the Ahhh Haaa moment when trying to figure out the underlying motive the Dim'cats have for mail in voting.
    That provision covers the possibility that neither candidate wins a majority of EC votes. The EC, IIRC, has a prescribed date by which they must vote and submit the results to Congress. If a particular State does not have a winner by that time,,,,,that is the elephant in the room.
    IIRC, the States have about 6 weeks to tabulate votes and submit their EC votes. If,,,,say California, does mail in ballots and it gets so screwed up or contested and can't be reconciled by the deadline and their is no "winner",,,theoretically, they lose their votes. Either way.
    If I was heading the RNO, I would have TEAMS of people ready to contest every precinct in every state with mail in ballots and vote harvesting. Use their own bullshit against them and tie shit up until it no longer matters.
    I would be willing to bet they couldn't get rid of it fast enough after that.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Individual states are responsible for reporting their results.

Yes, but the fact that they are reporting results implies that they are reporting those results to some other entity, and it must be a national entity, because obviously (e.g.) Hawaii doesn't get to count all the electoral votes for all the other states and announce the next President.

So, again, to whom are those results reported? Those are the people that truly matter. Some commission, some committee, some bureau of elections -- the people who constitute that national entity have the authority to report the winner of the Presidency, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a few other powers, too.

So I got off my lazy behind and took two seconds to google it and turns out it's Congress:

"The results are counted by Congress, where they are tabulated in the first week of January before a joint meeting of the Senate and House of Representatives, presided over by the vice president, acting as president of the Senate. " (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Electoral_College)

So VP Pence presides over the meeting which tabulates the results, and that meeting takes place in the first week of January.

The 12th amendment states that the electors from each state " shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President". So if a state hasn't voted by the deadline, it means that the elector(s) of that state are in violation of the Constitution of the United States. I wouldn't bet a lot of money on their chances to win in any lawsuit if they didn't like what Pence decided to do about their tardiness.

Certainly it would end up in front of SCOTUS, and Roberts would be very unhappy about that.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    As I understand it... regardless of the “why” a winner of the presidential election could not be determined. Speaker of the House would assume the presidency until such a time as a winner could be determined.

i agree Calif. Would be dumping mail in votes if it began to negatively impact their ability to have their electoral votes counted.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I remember sitting in Kuwait in 2000-01 watching a daily stoplight chart of the election results and subsequent lawsuits.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom