• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The "damascus" shotgun barrels were contemporary with the end of genuine Damascus blade forging, but were not made with the same process or by the smiths who knew how to do it. As such, they were less durable than plain steel counterparts but were sold as being higher quality. You probably shouldn't shoot them at all at this point - hang 'em up as heirlooms.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    The "damascus" shotgun barrels were contemporary with the end of genuine Damascus blade forging, but were not made with the same process or by the smiths who knew how to do it. As such, they were less durable than plain steel counterparts but were sold as being higher quality. You probably shouldn't shoot them at all at this point - hang 'em up as heirlooms.
    The later ones on high end guns were “nitro proofed” if you’re lucky enough to have one they are safe with other than magnum loads. They will have a London Proof stamp, and have the “ new” 2 3/4 chambers. Not muzzle loader. L C Smith, Parker, Westley Richards, a few other high end makers sold them up to WW1. They did not call them Damascus, they were called Laminated Steel

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

Thank you, that’s the info I sought.

I once had a Family heirloom “twist steel bbl” doublegun. The bbls were formed of a ribbon of laminated steels, called ”Damascus”, wound around a mandrel for shape. It was an exposed hammer job from the days of Comanche raids along the western Hill Country. I was advised to never use modern ammo in it.

I keep seeing ads for “damascus” blades. As a long time cutlery fancier, not a knife-maker, I’ve watched the modern “stainless” steel alloys bring our everyday knives to a much better quality than previously available.

I still recall the post-war era, when stainless steels were shunned for “not holding an edge”.

Yet, as a once-upon-a-time Surgeon, all of our instruments were stainless at least back to the early 1960’s.

Thanks again,

leVieux

<>
    there is no such thing as real stainless steel what is calledstainless steel willl rust like any other type of steel stainless steel just has a higher resistance to rusting.ere are a few reasons why stainless steel is used in the medical field. Instruments susceptible to corrosion and rust are dangerous to use in medical operations because they increase the likelihood of disease and infection contraction. Stainless steel doesn’t corrode during sterilization or high heat procedures like other materials.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    there is no such thing as real stainless steel what is calledstainless steel willl rust like any other type of steel stainless steel just has a higher resistance to rusting.ere are a few reasons why stainless steel is used in the medical field. Instruments susceptible to corrosion and rust are dangerous to use in medical operations because they increase the likelihood of disease and infection contraction. Stainless steel doesn’t corrode during sterilization or high heat procedures like other materials.
    There are three types of stainless steels with many series in each type. Austenitic, Ferritic and Martensitic. Austenitic, which is nonmagnetic, is the most common.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Stainless steels form a stable oxide film (think thin, controlled corrosion) in certain environments. Once this oxide film forms, no further corrosion will progress.

All will corrode in certain environments (which varies by alloy type). Some are very resistant to corrosion in other environments.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    THE TYPE OF STAINLESS DEPENDS ON THE PERCENTAGE OF GHROMIUM CONTENT BUT TOO MUCH MAKES THE STEEL TOO BRITTLE
    The type of stainless steel depends on the grain structure (remember, three types or classifications), the series (sometimes called grades) depends on the percentage of alloys. While chromium is one of the main components and so is nickel depending on the type. There are actually many alloys, but most of the others are in small amounts.

Feel free to enroll in my metallurgy class! :laughing:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The type of stainless steel depends on the grain structure (remember, three types or classifications), the series (sometimes called grades) depends on the percentage of alloys. While chromium is one of the main components and so is nickel depending on the type. There are actually many alloys, but most of the others are in small amounts.

I think this is what you are saying, but everything hinges on the alloy composition. That is what determines the type (austenitic, ferritic, martensitic), series (e.g., 304, 440, etc.) and specific properties (corrosion resistance in certain environments, yield strength, hardness, etc.).

Fe, Cr, Ni, C, S, Si, Mn. Mo, Ti, etc.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I JUST REMEMBER CHROMIUM BEING THE MAIN ALLOY THAT MAKES STAINLESS STEEL!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I think this is what you are saying, but everything hinges on the alloy composition. That is what determines the type (austenitic, ferritic, martensitic), series (e.g., 304, 440, etc.) and specific properties (corrosion resistance in certain environments, yield strength, hardness, etc.).

Fe, Cr, Ni, C, S, Si, Mn. Mo, Ti, etc.
    Yes, the make-up of the grain structure is dependent the process of alloys, heating and cooling to reach the desired effect. I will admit that as far as welding goes, I've only welded 300 series (austenitic). Some stainless are considered nonweldable, some others are undesirable to weld.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Even weirder are the two 1911s made by Cabot Guns out of a meteorite...

MeteoritePistol2.jpg

Top Bottom