• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Spouse has owned many CVTs w/o issue. Her current vehicle is a hybrid and if 500 charge cycle is it's life then it would be dead by 200 miles. Hybrids can go from depleted to full and back several times just driving to the grocery store. A decent hard brake from highway speed will fully charge a hybrid battery.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So a Toyota/ Lexus eCVT, as featured on all of their hybrids, is a completely different take on the CVT and is extraordinarily robust, doesn’t have the issues that a regular CVT has.

The last Lexus LS600h hybrid had over 440hp

Just posting for clarity…

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    $2500 for a new transmission? You sure about that?
    700r4 circa 1988 maybe. it was 700 bucks to rebuild one of those in 1992.

Maybe the rebuild kit. But today's transmissions are probably double that or triple. New anyways.

ETA were talking 2 different things. Sorry.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    So a Toyota/ Lexus eCVT, as featured on all of their hybrids, is a completely different take on the CVT and is extraordinarily robust, doesn’t have the issues that a regular CVT has.

The last Lexus LS600h hybrid had over 440hp

Just posting for clarity…
    Is that 440hp all going through the CVT, or is the electric motor on the output side?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Is that 440hp all going through the CVT, or is the electric motor on the output side?

It’s complicated LOL

Instead of input/output shafts, the engine and motor/generators are connected to a planetary gearset. The engine is also connected to a motor/generator.

A power split controller makes it all work.

But the transmission only has a few moving parts, mostly in the planetary gearset. So there really isn’t anything to wear out…it’s a fascinating system

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Mostly the problem with CVT is when they go, get a new one. They work at very high pressure. Minor internal explosion when they go - all those little metal 'petals' come loose. Ford dumped theirs in that old compact.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It’s complicated LOL

Instead of input/output shafts, the engine and motor/generators are connected to a planetary gearset. The engine is also connected to a motor/generator.

A power split controller makes it all work.

But the transmission only has a few moving parts, mostly in the planetary gearset. So there really isn’t anything to wear out…it’s a fascinating system
    Well shoot, now I'm even more curious and I'm gonna go down a rabbit hole to see how it's engineered. Thanks a lot lol.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Y'all are over thinking this one. Only early gen Nissan cvts sucked. Most all of them are utterly reliable although boring af to drive. When I service them the fluid looks barely discolored. Nothing like a traditional transmission with friction plates that puts contaminants in the fluid. They are a fill and forget item although there is nothing wrong with preventative maintenance and periodic inspection.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    From my experience with dealerships all they sell are factory remans. Unless they have changed.
    Several years ago the transfer case on my company truck died. I was offered the option of a new or a rebuilt replacement. The warranty was the same and the total replacement cost was similar. The deciding factor was the wait for shipping the part.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    All the cvts I saw had a torque converter that drove an input shaft and some type of output. The main difference is in how they obtain the variable ratios. This done by two pulley like hubs with a flexible belt wrapped around them. One or both pulleys can change diameter and in doing so change the ratios to whatever configuration is commanded. Of course they are somewhat more complex than this explanation.

Last edited:

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Several years ago the transfer case on my company truck died. I was offered the option of a new or a rebuilt replacement. The warranty was the same and the total replacement cost was similar. The deciding factor was the wait for shipping the part.
    Many people that sell them call them new reman units. Maybe they have changed but I doubt it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    In addition to the “not a CVT” eCVT used for hybrids, Toyota also has a conventional CVT with a twist: it’s got an added conventional gear used for launches.

For conventional CVT’s, the two main types are:
    Push belt
    Pull belt
    …we can infer what the fundamental difference is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    This. A normal transmission I like to do every 40k but can be done at 60. With a cvt you must do 30k
    When I went to the Chrysler school on their CVT, we were told the fluid used to change it out was over 100 dollars and they also said if you put even one drop of the wrong fluid in it, it would fail. That was hard to believe. At the same class I asked one of the engineers why they put the exhaust right under the pan on trucks with the 45 RFE trans in them. He just glared at me and walked off.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Probably the same glare I got from the SRT engineers when I queried why they retained Daimler Benz' rear brake driven 'traction management' system instead of installing a real differential in the first gen SRT Chargers/Challengers.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    1640566330086.png

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    When I went to the Chrysler school on their CVT, we were told the fluid used to change it out was over 100 dollars and they also said if you put even one drop of the wrong fluid in it, it would fail. That was hard to believe. At the same class I asked one of the engineers why they put the exhaust right under the pan on trucks with the 45 RFE trans in them. He just glared at me and walked off.
    Might be true. Other areas are sensitive. A rear locker for example.

Top Bottom