• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    If it’s basically going to be for a one time use, you may want to see if Northern Tool or Harbor Freight has anything more economical. Even the worst of their tools last through one or two uses. (Just my thoughts) YMMV

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Company I used to work for bought these - or something very similar - to cutout toolbox foam inserts....so every specialized little tool had it's place.

They worked....but ot was a bit of a mess. Everyone pretty much agreed that they should have just used exacto knives.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    If it’s basically going to be for a one time use, you may want to see if Northern Tool or Harbor Freight has anything more economical. Even the worst of their tools last through one or two uses. (Just my thoughts) YMMV
    Why would it be one time use? It seems better than a lot of the wire ones I saw online. A lot of those seem very flimsy.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Bought a $3 filet knife which does okay. I tested it last night and it might work.

Here is my test subject. Still needs a cup cut in. Never know when the world ends and you have to grab the important things heading out the door.
    CCD1F7E5-F56F-4794-82AA-3DE58A3E0F3D.jpeg

Attachments

• CCD1F7E5-F56F-4794-82AA-3DE58A3E0F3D.jpeg
      CCD1F7E5-F56F-4794-82AA-3DE58A3E0F3D.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 328

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have done the same thing with very good results, my electric knife only comes out for foam nowadays.

hoghunting,

My Waring electric carving knife was bought from a garage sale for ONE buck. - I used it numerous times to cut flotation foam for antique/vintage boats that I remodel.
    (It also works well for foam inserts in gun cases.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    One of those snap blade knives will work just fine for what you want to do. If you really want a hot knife you can just heat up any cheap knife you already have over a flame.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    1C41612C-7EFC-4B6D-B42B-DD64160D99B1.jpeg
    Got more foam in this weekend. This is a Pelican 1700. I want a can for this rifle soon and I’m leaning towards a Surefire SOCOM. The shortest adapter is the Warcomp. In order to do that the buttstock would have to go against the case itself or nearly, maybe 1/4” of foam left. Has anyone gone right up against the case like that before? Also, I do not want to break the rifle down, it needs to stored ready to go.

Attachments

• 1C41612C-7EFC-4B6D-B42B-DD64160D99B1.jpeg
      1C41612C-7EFC-4B6D-B42B-DD64160D99B1.jpeg
      605.5 KB · Views: 307

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    View attachment 217098 Got more foam in this weekend. This is a Pelican 1700. I want a can for this rifle soon and I’m leaning towards a Surefire SOCOM. The shortest adapter is the Warcomp. In order to do that the buttstock would have to go against the case itself or nearly, maybe 1/4” of foam left. Has anyone gone right up against the case like that before? Also, I do not want to break the rifle down, it needs to stored ready to go.
    Turn the rifle diagonal.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have used a big soldering gun ..not a soldering iron..but a pistol style

Just dont breathe the fumes so do bvn it outside

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Phucked up foam story for y'all. The previous year my buddy borrowed my Steyr rifle & went hunting with his dad in Africa. He was so hooked he ordered his first double rifle with the plans to pick it up the next year. He decides I'm going with on the next safari. My travel vault was cut & layed out for my Steyr & Swarovski spotting scope & a few other things.

Time to leave we packed his double in my travel vault. We totaled outthe middle sheet of foam. that was 98 or 99. Still no replacement foam. He also lacked a sling set up on his double rifle. I had a web cotton sling I used on a hunting pack, that I carried with misc gear. That sling has been on 3-4 of his different double rifles.

Top Bottom