• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    So all this talk about armourers courses and “ARs are the koolest!”, has gotten me in the mood to share my current build. I was installing an aftermarket trigger and spring kit in a friend’s Glock the other day and we got on the subject of rifles. We decided he NEEDED and AR. We needed to do it on the cheap, so I told him that I’d build him one. I get parts at wholesale and I’ve got a handful sitting around that I could throw in, so I figured up a price and got started.

I ordered the receiver and the parts I needed and they showed up quickly.

7c3bd469.gif

I got all the dust and factory gunk off the internals and gave them a nice oil bath.

4a0f71a1.gif

I picked up the receiver and got started.

90e113b6.gif

Heavy Buffer, Buffer Spring and Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)

56868a2e.gif

Installed Gas Key and staked screws

664e9c03.gif

After a couple whacks with a big hammer, the lower is together

b76c8214.gif

Got a stripped M4 profile 16” barrel…

696e02c4.gif

…and installed the Barrel Nut, Delta Ring (w/Spring and Retainer Clip), Handguard Retainer and Front Sight Tower.

19d8b83c.gif

All that’s left is assembling the upper, torque the barrel and pin the gas tube

76e19fa2.gif

I’m doing my usual reliability upgrades (Heavy Buffer/Spring, Extractor O-ring, stake EVERYTHING), but besides that, it’s just a box stock M4gery. I’ve got an hour and a half in it over the last couple of days…so not as fast as the build I did on Christmas…but not too bad for extra time after work. I’ll get it wrapped up tonight and take it to the range on Saturday.

I think he’s going to be a happy camper with a new rifle, WELL built, cheaper than a used one.
    ARJ Defense ad

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Assembled the upper

c5095a0b.gif

Installed the barrel and gas tube

5cc55ae5.gif

and after a total of 2 hours of work, here it is finished

6409f679.gif

I'm not sure if I should let him know its done...he might be bugging me to go shoot before the end of the week!

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Nice build. How much to do one for another TGT member? I've never built one.

I'll have to think about it a bit. I don't like doing too many of these for folks, not too much of a customer service dept. around here...lol, but if you want to do a build, buy yourself a receiver and I'll sure help you get started.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Very cool. I've had mine stripped down for cleaning and have so far resisted the urge to take it apart further. Just gotta wait a few more weeks.

The bad thing is that I'll probably end up with a few 'extra' Stoner babies around the house after I take that class. I'm particularly interested in learning how to work on triggers. The SCAR's trigger would benefit from some care.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I am going to a gunshow this weekend. Will put a receiver on my look-for list. Thanks Cody.

Also check out AIM Surplus. I bought a few Surplus Arms AR receivers from them for $59 a few weeks back. Not a top of the line brand by any means, but fit and function are perfect.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Very cool. I've had mine stripped down for cleaning and have so far resisted the urge to take it apart further. Just gotta wait a few more weeks.

The bad thing is that I'll probably end up with a few 'extra' Stoner babies around the house after I take that class. I'm particularly interested in learning how to work on triggers. The SCAR's trigger would benefit from some care.

Not much work you can do on AR triggers except replace them, which really is easy. I do a bit of polishing here and there to smooth them out, but due to the material of the stock trigger, it wont take any reshaping. I think a good armourers course is good for anyone who is serious about working on or building these rifles. There is lots of good info online, but then you'd be listening to those cooky interweb folks.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom