• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sce.mag_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2022
    Magnolia, TX
    I used to apply Kurobara oil or Boeshield T-9 until a couple years ago.

I started using Renaissance Wax; it dries instantly and no more nasty yellow film or dust magnet knives.

I had a convo with a museum maintenance tech and learned they use the same or similar wax to protect high carbon steel weapons & artifacts.

Stuff works great.
    ARJ Defense ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have some palm oil I use that way it's food safe and I don't have to wife off the blades before cutting food and I use the same palm oil to treat my cutting boards

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The blood and fat of my enemies collected as their women cry in grief.

Works great.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Hoppe's #9 works pretty well. Any low viscosity clear oil will do. Sewing machine oil, 3-in-One, even canola oil. Coat it, wipe it down after a few seconds, repeat every couple of months as needed. There's no need to leave the steel wet so it attracts dust.

I've always heard Renaissance Wax was for blades that are being displayed rather than used regularly.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If you use oil, and water gets on the blade, the oil will float on the water and you'll get corrosion. Oil will only protect from exposure to air. Waxes, on the other hand, will stick to the blade and protect it until worn off. Renaissance wax is really, really good, and widely used, but you can also use the paste wax for furniture (like Min-Wax). This works on guns, too.

If you've just gotta have a product designed for knives, there is a product called EDCi from Aegis Solutions that will protect blades and is listed as food safe. Aegis (www.AegisSolutions.com) or Jantz Supply (www.knifemaking.com).

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I just use a light coat of whatever oil I have on hand.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    If you use oil, and water gets on the blade, the oil will float on the water and you'll get corrosion. Oil will only protect from exposure to air. Waxes, on the other hand, will stick to the blade and protect it until worn off. Renaissance wax is really, really good, and widely used, but you can also use the paste wax for furniture (like Min-Wax). This works on guns, too.

If you've just gotta have a product designed for knives, there is a product called EDCi from Aegis Solutions that will protect blades and is listed as food safe. Aegis (www.AegisSolutions.com) or Jantz Supply (www.knifemaking.com).

Since most oils are hydrophobic, the water should bead off the oil coated surface to the best of my knowledge.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    If you use oil, and water gets on the blade, the oil will float on the water and you'll get corrosion.

That's why you should dry the blade before applying oil, and make sure you don't let your blade stay wet if it does get exposed to water. What you describe only happens if the water penetrates the oil.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    First off, keep your blades out of the water or places with lots of moisture.

I used to apply Kurobara oil or Boeshield T-9 until a couple years ago.

I started using Renaissance Wax; it dries instantly and no more nasty yellow film or dust magnet knives.

I had a convo with a museum maintenance tech and learned they use the same or similar wax to protect high carbon steel weapons & artifacts.

Stuff works great.
    I use that on my guns, I hadn't thought of using Renaissance Wax on blades. Good idea!

Top Bottom