• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I’m going to need to have my “strong hand “wrist fused in near future. I think 4 O Clock IWB is no longer going to be my best option. Any suggestions on a good cross draw holster?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Being as my shoulder is starting to give out (rotator cuff surgery twenty some years ago) I have moved my AlienGear Cloak Tuck IWB forward from the 4-4:30 position to not quite appendix carry and that has helped a lot.
    I know I'm not answering the exact question you asked, but at one time I had considered cross draw, but I find my shoulder hurts doing that also.
    If you can move your present holster forward, it doesn't cost anything to try.
    Good luck with your surgery.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    @mongoose:
    I use a Cytac polymer OWB holster, but I OC exclusively. But, I DO carry cross-draw -- well, kind of: It's directly right of my belt-buckle so it's more to my FRONT than to my right side. And these polymer holsters (like the Blackhawk Sherpa and IMI Defense "Roto-Rig") have Level 2 retention -- especially important when OCing, not so much CCing.
    However, if you have a shirt/jacket to cover it, it'd work for CC also. And these makers might produce CC holsters, too (but haven't checked).
    I like these "rotary" holsters because due to the "infinite cant adjustment" feature they have (and the IMI Defense Roto-Rigs as well), I can change the cant of the holster 360 degrees to suit my draw direction/angle exactly so it's more natural.
    Cytac makes them for a variety of guns, even the obscure and "obsolete" Tokarev TT-33 (my EDC).
    Good luck,
    -- BR

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    @mongoose:
    I use a Cytac polymer OWB holster, but I OC exclusively. But, I DO carry cross-draw -- well, kind of: It's directly right of my belt-buckle so it's more to my FRONT than to my right side. And these polymer holsters (like the Blackhawk Sherpa and IMI Defense "Roto-Rig") have Level 2 retention -- especially important when OCing, not so much CCing.
    However, if you have a shirt/jacket to cover it, it'd work for CC also. And these makers might produce CC holsters, too (but haven't checked).
    I like these "rotary" holsters because due to the "infinite cant adjustment" feature they have (and the IMI Defense Roto-Rigs as well), I can change the cant of the holster 360 degrees to suit my draw direction/angle exactly so it's more natural.
    Cytac makes them for a variety of guns, even the obscure and "obsolete" Tokarev TT-33 (my EDC).
    Good luck,
    -- BR
    Are you using the belt clip or paddle variety Cytac? Thoughts on one versus the other? Any advantage to either riding closer? Thats the problem I see with a Serpa style holster because of it's mount to the clip; otherwise this looks good for the price, especially as a duty style holster, maybe not best for OWB CC.

I'm carrying a P365 in a Desantis Criss Cross at my 11 o'clock. It's only a passive retention holster, but I think it holds well. I carry a spare mag in a horizontal pouch opening left at my 1 o'clock that is only accessible after I draw the pistol. The only thing I don't like about the Desantis is that it's belt loop allows some movement. I have been considering an Azula Leather seated cross draw as a replacement, but the Cytac looks interesting for it's versatility.

I cover the rig with a flap of t-shirt, shirt tail, or sweat shirt and it works for me quite well.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    @gll
    No, I'm not using the paddle attachment. It CAME with a paddle attached but I replaced it with the "Belt Loop" attachment (ordered separately) instead. As for the holster riding close to the belt and not sticking out too far, they ride close, BUT I recommend using a stiff (and REAL) gun-belt anyway). The paddle MAY stick out (don't recall), but this "belt loop" rides close and the attached holster is parallel to it. Since I'm an OCer I needed a holster attachment that was as secure as I could get (meaning, not come off the belt easily in the event of an attempted gun-grab struggle, while I'm using my one-handed/instantly-deployable "DART" EDC knife like Doug Marcaida (!) every-which-way-but-loose to repel boarders), so I went with this "Belt Loop for Holster" thing as seen here:

https://i1.wp.com/www.topspotguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/CYTAC-Belt-Loop-For-Holsters-Magazines.jpg?resize=600,600

...but it's NOT the newer (?) one I see advertised that apparently is an "openable" clam-shell model...as seen here:

http://holstersandstuff.com/img/cyt...ment-quick-mount-clamshell-black_9518_600.jpg

Mine does NOT open, and the only way to get it off the belt is to remove the belt...that's the "can't rip it off" security I need (just in case). The 2 screws on the back of mine are only to adjust an internal bar for the width of your gun belt (and snugly), that's all. As I said, this "Belt Loop" attachment device is great security for an OCer, but for CCers the clam-shell model or paddle holster attachment would be fine.
    Once I discovered these "rotary/disk" polymer holsters -- first seen looking @ IMI Defense Roto-Rigs (an Israeli company) -- I've not looked back. Used to use leather holsters (got my TT-33 cross-draw holster from Serbia...former Soviet "Iron Curtain" countries still know what a Tokarev is!), not anymore. But besides Cytac, check out the other "rotary" type holsters such as mentioned IMI Defense.

https://www.imidefense.com/product-category/holsters/

Those seem to be a bit more robust (meaning made of a bit thicker polymer (IIRC), similar to Blackhawk Sherpa) than Cytac use BUT IMI Defense didn't have any Roto-Rigs made to fit the particular guns I carry...so went with Cytac. Due to being polymer and "from-fitted," there's little fudge-factor and so MUST be made for your particular gun to fit properly.
    For example, I wanted one of these "rotary" holsters for my polymer EAA Witness full-sized 9mm P S FDE "CZ-75 clone" but Sherpa didn't list ANY holsters for an EAA Witness, neither did IMI Defense. So after some research, I concluded that a "CZ-75" poly holster would NOT fit (go figure!) but a Sig P26 (with rails) looked VERY much like my EAA Witness (also with rails) so I took a chance and ordered it -- wasn't an EXACT fit, but very close even if a bit tight, so only a bit of modification was needed to get it to work. Now it fits fine.
    Still, I'd go with Cytac or IMI Defense, as they use the rotary system -- the Serpa has only limited cant adjustment, which is TOO limited for me.
    However, unless you're pretty sure a polymer holster WILL fit any "obscure" gun you have -- popular/mainstream gun models are no problem finding Kydex or polymer/rotary holsters for -- and unless you don't mind modifying them or sending them back for refund/exchange, only order one that FOR SURE is made to fit your particular gun (the same gun with rails may take different holster then that same gun with no rails, so be careful choosing).

"I cover the rig with a flap of t-shirt, shirt tail, or sweat shirt and it works for me quite well." -- gll
    ...then an OWB "rotary style" polymer holster would do you well, especially allowing you (as mentioned) to cant the holster at the best angle (using supplied hex wrench) for the smoothest and most natural draw, especially given your strong-hand's "mobility" issue. Plus, polymer holsters are sweat-proof...no issue for OCers like me since our guns are "out there" (OWB) getting plenty of sunshine and ventilation (!), but for CCers it is. Rain and snow are rare here in far West Texas. ;-)
    Good luck,
    -- BR
    P.S. Although Cytac (and others) do make polymer mag-pouches (I have one for my double-stack 9mm EAA Witness mags, from Tactical Scorpion, IIRC), I carry my 2 spare Tokarev mags not in a belt-pouch but in my leather "biker" vest pockets: "LegendaryUSA" makes models with a mag-pouch sewn into each inside vest pocket (mine is their "Gunslinger" model, but the "Peacemaker" has these so-called "gun pockets" also...not to mention real buffalo nickles as snap covers -- nice)...the mags ride there nicely. I just have to remember to REMOVE them when I enter the VA Clinic, just in case they're wanding (for metal) people that particular day! Otherwise, I'd have some 'splainin' to do, not to mention they'd probably search my car and then... ;-)

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Thinking on it, there was a guy/company out of New York, I think, that made a "Driving Holster" that might fit your needs. I thought I had it save in favorites but, well, nope, not there.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    https://www.craftholsters.com/cross...MI9Y-plfTq5gIVh_5kCh1ofw3_EAQYASABEgIopfD_BwE
    -- mongoose

But that's not going to be horizontal. A "rotary" holster is as good as it's going to get for you if you want true horizontal (or other angle). No other "adjustable cant" holster I've seen is even close.
    Good luck,
    -- BR
    P.S. One other thought that just came to me: Look into a SHOULDER holster, horizontal carry instead of vertical. That may be better as your forearm and wrist would be in a more straight-line orientation than even a horizontal cross-draw holster, as you arm is angled downward to your belt vs. horizontal across your chest.

Last edited:

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    I have a Garret Silent Thunder with paddle mount for a Ruger SP 101 that I use for crossdraw. Was my "driving" holster for years when I had to head to a rather sketchy downtown. I called Ron and told him my needs, and he sanded the paddle a bit to make it more comfortable. It can be adjusted for cant 360 degrees. Texas company, and great product (leather lined kydex). I own several of his holsters, and highly recommend them.

Top Bottom