• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    My little 20 gauge Sears shotgun stock cracked a couple of weeks ago.
    I took the stock off and sought the advise of my local gun shop.
    He suggested that I watch a few Larry Potterfield videos and buy a couple of brass slugs he sells to glue in.
    I drilled two 3/16” holes down into the stock, chasing the crack.
    I couldn’t bother ordering the repair kit. I simply cut off the heads of two #10 brass screws.
    Poured in some Gorilla Glue, slathered some on the screws, plungered them in and out, flexing the crack a bit until the glue seeped out of the outside of the crack. Pushed the screws all the way in and topped off with a little more glue. Spring clamp to rest overnight.
    Fingers crossed, confidence high.

AA8D82D2-E08D-401D-A2FF-D1E72DE42A07.jpeg
    885E011B-5A14-401F-A179-15E5062AD95A.jpeg

before pic:
    AC308391-A953-480B-AB02-53749D5D3CD9.jpeg
    Capitol Armory ad

14427h

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    DFW TX
    I have found Acraglass works well for this and if tinted darker brown than the wood it tends to look like wood grain where exposed.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My little 20 gauge Sears shotgun stock cracked a couple of weeks ago.
    I took the stock off and sought the advise of my local gun shop.
    He suggested that I watch a few Larry Potterfield videos and buy a couple of brass slugs he sells to glue in.
    I drilled two 3/16” holes down into the stock, chasing the crack.
    I couldn’t bother ordering the repair kit. I simply cut off the heads of two #10 brass screws.
    Poured in some Gorilla Glue, slathered some on the screws, plungered them in and out, flexing the crack a bit until the glue seeped out of the outside of the crack. Pushed the screws all the way in and topped off with a little more glue. Spring clamp to rest overnight.
    Fingers crossed, confidence high.

View attachment 236834 View attachment 236833
    before pic:
    View attachment 236835

singlestack; All,

FYI, GORILLA GLUE is stronger than the wood that you are repairing & fwiw cured epoxy is stronger than steel by weight, too.

FYI, I once built a 14 foot plywood jonboat using nothing but 1/4 & 3/8 exterior grade plywood, 1x2 yellow pine for gunnels/seat supports/trim, cheap woodscrews (to hold the boat in shape until the glue dried), porch paint & GORILLA GLUE.
    Once the glue dried overnight, I removed the screws to reuse them for some other job. - I filled the screw-holes with "peanut butter", made of epoxy/sawdust, sanded the boat all over & brushed on the paint.

FYI, the plywood jonboat, over a decade later is still usable despite the cheap materials/jackleg construction & a lot of rough handling, while trotlining/crappie fishing NETX lakes/sloughs.

BTW, if you have a tough/large gluing job & not a lot of money, "old-school" powder-type WELDWOOD GLUE, that you mix with water just before use is dirt-CHEAP, waterproof & "TOUGH AS H", too.
    (It's only "problem", if you can call it a problem with WELDWOOD, is that it dries PURPLE & tends to "bleed through" light colored paint, long after it dries. = My "hillbilly solution": Paint whatever you are building a darker color.= I paint all of my wooden/homemade fishing boats DARK GREEN, anyway, so it's not a problem.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom