Cracked stock

single stack

Oct 27, 2011
FL
My little 20 gauge Sears shotgun stock cracked a couple of weeks ago.
I took the stock off and sought the advise of my local gun shop.
He suggested that I watch a few Larry Potterfield videos and buy a couple of brass slugs he sells to glue in.
I drilled two 3/16” holes down into the stock, chasing the crack.
I couldn’t bother ordering the repair kit. I simply cut off the heads of two #10 brass screws.
Poured in some Gorilla Glue, slathered some on the screws, plungered them in and out, flexing the crack a bit until the glue seeped out of the outside of the crack. Pushed the screws all the way in and topped off with a little more glue. Spring clamp to rest overnight.
Fingers crossed, confidence high.

AA8D82D2-E08D-401D-A2FF-D1E72DE42A07.jpeg
885E011B-5A14-401F-A179-15E5062AD95A.jpeg

before pic:
AC308391-A953-480B-AB02-53749D5D3CD9.jpeg

14427h

TGT Supporter
Apr 4, 2012
DFW TX
I have found Acraglass works well for this and if tinted darker brown than the wood it tends to look like wood grain where exposed.

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
My little 20 gauge Sears shotgun stock cracked a couple of weeks ago.
I took the stock off and sought the advise of my local gun shop.
He suggested that I watch a few Larry Potterfield videos and buy a couple of brass slugs he sells to glue in.
I drilled two 3/16” holes down into the stock, chasing the crack.
I couldn’t bother ordering the repair kit. I simply cut off the heads of two #10 brass screws.
Poured in some Gorilla Glue, slathered some on the screws, plungered them in and out, flexing the crack a bit until the glue seeped out of the outside of the crack. Pushed the screws all the way in and topped off with a little more glue. Spring clamp to rest overnight.
Fingers crossed, confidence high.

View attachment 236834 View attachment 236833
before pic:
View attachment 236835
singlestack; All,

FYI, GORILLA GLUE is stronger than the wood that you are repairing & fwiw cured epoxy is stronger than steel by weight, too.

FYI, I once built a 14 foot plywood jonboat using nothing but 1/4 & 3/8 exterior grade plywood, 1x2 yellow pine for gunnels/seat supports/trim, cheap woodscrews (to hold the boat in shape until the glue dried), porch paint & GORILLA GLUE.
Once the glue dried overnight, I removed the screws to reuse them for some other job. - I filled the screw-holes with "peanut butter", made of epoxy/sawdust, sanded the boat all over & brushed on the paint.

FYI, the plywood jonboat, over a decade later is still usable despite the cheap materials/jackleg construction & a lot of rough handling, while trotlining/crappie fishing NETX lakes/sloughs.

BTW, if you have a tough/large gluing job & not a lot of money, "old-school" powder-type WELDWOOD GLUE, that you mix with water just before use is dirt-CHEAP, waterproof & "TOUGH AS H", too.
(It's only "problem", if you can call it a problem with WELDWOOD, is that it dries PURPLE & tends to "bleed through" light colored paint, long after it dries. = My "hillbilly solution": Paint whatever you are building a darker color.= I paint all of my wooden/homemade fishing boats DARK GREEN, anyway, so it's not a problem.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics