Join TexasGunTalk

Coyotes in DFW - Considering handgun protection

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Nick!, Aug 17, 2019.

1. alias

alias Member

May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    On a more serious note, with Austin's recent attempt to become the next Seattle and San Francisco by inviting mentally-ill drug attacks to live on the sidewalks, attacks on women using the cities many jogging trails have become commonplace. The fact Austin is a sanctuary city, some attacks are by homeless people from God knows where, the others are by 'dreamers.'

A female jogger in the city is more vulnerable than someone walking in the rural areas.

2. alias

alias Member

May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    I live on Lake Travis and a Gray Fox entered someone's home about four miles away and bit the homeowner. The homeowner managed to shoot it and it tested positive for rabies.

I have Grays here that sit on a wall and wait for me to feed them plus I can work in the yard and they don't run. However, if one ran up and bit me I'd have have to undergo rabies shots, because thats not normal.

satx78247 likes this.
  3. Nick!

Nick! Member

Mar 16, 2017
    DFW

Jumping back in this thread after a long week at work.

Again, not being a hunter and also not growing up in this are and being regularly exposed to Coyotes and similar animals, I just wasn't sure whats normal behavior from these types of animals. I wasn't sure if its generally in the animal's nature to attack from that distance or not. Wasn't sure if I just got lucky the first couple of times, or if that is to be expected.

And it seems "normal" behavior of Coyotes is still somewhat in debate.

4. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    alias,

I often "house-sit" in Austin 78750 for my adopted daughter's "American quasi-mother", while Annie is out of town, sometimes for several weeks at a time.

A VERY PRETTY vixen lives under Annie's back deck & has raised several litters of kits under there, too.
    (I see the gray fox often, when I'm house-sitting in the late evenings & she seems to NOT be afraid of me in the least, as long as I don't try to approach her within 20 feet or so. - I sometimes put out "leftovers" for her. = She especially likes my "going stale" cornbread muffins.)

There are also numerous WT deer, raccoons, possums, rabbits & coyotes in that neighborhood, too.

yours, satx

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Dancing Heretik likes this.
  5. alias

alias Member

May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    Thats pretty much the situation here. Gray Fox and deer will stick close to friendly humans houses for protection from coyotes, especially when they have young.
    Grays mate for life and I've had a pair raising more than one litter here. I would get scraps from a barbeque joint in Dripping Springs and they got fat on smoke turkey legs and beef ribs.
    Grays are some of the best parents I've ever seen, both feeding their young before finally eating themselves. It was neat to watch them bring the kits up to the back deck to teach them how to work the system.

satx78247 likes this.
  6. DallasCMT

DallasCMT New Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Anyone ever try to shoot clays with that stuff?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire likes this.
  7. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    alias,

Your "- - - - how to work the system." made me smile. "Molly", as I named my "half-tame" vixen, has ventured a little closer to me, each time that I've gone house-sitting for Annie.
    (I have NOT seen the male. - I wonder where he is??)

Fwiw, at one point I was feeding 17 stray cats & numerous other critters, including a REALLY GAUDY-looking BLACK/SILVER coon that must weigh 30#.
    (I believe that TOMAS, the coon, was somebody's pet, as my late housemate (ELLIE, who passed away at Christmas of 2016) could pet him. = Of course Ellie had a GIFT when it came to animals. = When an Animal Warden was too scared to go catch a neighbor's bird-dog, that had gotten out of the fence & was "decidedly unfriendly", Ellie looked at him as if he crawled out from under a log, got a piece of cotton clothesline & in less than 10 minutes came back with the dog walking quietly beside her.- Later that night, the neighbor came home & asked about his dog. Ellie said, "He got out of the fence, went for a walk, I went to retrieve him, called him & he came to me, so I brought him home fed & watered him & he's all yours now. NICE dog too.")

yours, satx

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Dancing Heretik and GoPappy like this.
  8. mongoose

mongoose New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Normal behavior from a healthy coyote posed no danger to a human. A rabid coyote or any animal with rabies can be a danger. You are in much more danger of an attack by a domestic dog than you are from a coyote or any wild animal here in TX. I’ve had coyotes around me for 63 years. Other than feces in the yard ( which I or my dogs don’t like) there has never been a problem. Dogs and Coydogs can be a problem.

satx78247 likes this.
  9. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    mongoose,

In my experience in CAMP, MORRIS & FRANKLIN Counties in Northeast Texas, coydogs, running in packs, are DEFINITELY dangerous to humans, livestock & especially to small children, the disabled & aged folks. = Our family shoots every coydog that comes on our farm, when/where seen.
    We've not had any problem with coyotes after I bought a pair of donkeys to keep the coyotes away, for 15.oo each from Colley's Sales Barn. = "The girls" are the BEST 30 bucks that I've ever spent, as "the girls" put a stop to coyotes chasing our stock..

ADDENDA: 'YOTES are SMART & it took only two coyotes being stomped to bloody mush for the local "night singing chorus" to DEPART the scene & NOT often "try the girls" again.

yours, satx

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  10. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yeah but that's a slow to action and slow to reset weapon. Big wide swings take time and leave you dangerously open to...

satx78247 likes this.