• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alias

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    On a more serious note, with Austin's recent attempt to become the next Seattle and San Francisco by inviting mentally-ill drug attacks to live on the sidewalks, attacks on women using the cities many jogging trails have become commonplace. The fact Austin is a sanctuary city, some attacks are by homeless people from God knows where, the others are by 'dreamers.'

A female jogger in the city is more vulnerable than someone walking in the rural areas.
    Guns International

alias

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    I live on Lake Travis and a Gray Fox entered someone's home about four miles away and bit the homeowner. The homeowner managed to shoot it and it tested positive for rabies.

I have Grays here that sit on a wall and wait for me to feed them plus I can work in the yard and they don't run. However, if one ran up and bit me I'd have have to undergo rabies shots, because thats not normal.

Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    I can’t imagine why you would even consider shooting at an animal that is not acting aggressively towards you, especially if it is 15 to 20 yards away from you.

Even if it was justified (which it would NOT be in the situation you described), you would probably miss it entirely or wound it.

Jumping back in this thread after a long week at work.

Again, not being a hunter and also not growing up in this are and being regularly exposed to Coyotes and similar animals, I just wasn't sure whats normal behavior from these types of animals. I wasn't sure if its generally in the animal's nature to attack from that distance or not. Wasn't sure if I just got lucky the first couple of times, or if that is to be expected.

And it seems "normal" behavior of Coyotes is still somewhat in debate.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    alias,

I often "house-sit" in Austin 78750 for my adopted daughter's "American quasi-mother", while Annie is out of town, sometimes for several weeks at a time.

A VERY PRETTY vixen lives under Annie's back deck & has raised several litters of kits under there, too.
    (I see the gray fox often, when I'm house-sitting in the late evenings & she seems to NOT be afraid of me in the least, as long as I don't try to approach her within 20 feet or so. - I sometimes put out "leftovers" for her. = She especially likes my "going stale" cornbread muffins.)

There are also numerous WT deer, raccoons, possums, rabbits & coyotes in that neighborhood, too.

yours, satx

Last edited:

alias

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    alias,

I often "house-sit" in Austin 78750 for my adopted daughter's American quasi-mother, while Annie is out of town, sometimes for several weeks at a time.

A VERY PRETTY vixen lives under Annie's back deck & has raised several litters of kits under there, too.
    (I see the gray fox often, when I'm house-sitting in the late evenings & she seems to NOT be afraid of me in the least, as long as I don't try to approach her within 20 feet or so. - I sometimes put out "leftovers" for her. = She especially likes my "going stale" cornbread muffins.)

There are also numerous WT deer, raccoons, possums, rabbits & coyotes in that neighborhood, too.

yours, satx

Thats pretty much the situation here. Gray Fox and deer will stick close to friendly humans houses for protection from coyotes, especially when they have young.
    Grays mate for life and I've had a pair raising more than one litter here. I would get scraps from a barbeque joint in Dripping Springs and they got fat on smoke turkey legs and beef ribs.
    Grays are some of the best parents I've ever seen, both feeding their young before finally eating themselves. It was neat to watch them bring the kits up to the back deck to teach them how to work the system.

DallasCMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    No offense… but are you a good shot? Sounds like potential for your back stop not being ideal. Maybe small pistol with this loaded. It'll definitely denture any creature. Without worrying about missing target and killing someone in the background. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1000879516
    Anyone ever try to shoot clays with that stuff?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    alias,

Your "- - - - how to work the system." made me smile. "Molly", as I named my "half-tame" vixen, has ventured a little closer to me, each time that I've gone house-sitting for Annie.
    (I have NOT seen the male. - I wonder where he is??)

Fwiw, at one point I was feeding 17 stray cats & numerous other critters, including a REALLY GAUDY-looking BLACK/SILVER coon that must weigh 30#.
    (I believe that TOMAS, the coon, was somebody's pet, as my late housemate (ELLIE, who passed away at Christmas of 2016) could pet him. = Of course Ellie had a GIFT when it came to animals. = When an Animal Warden was too scared to go catch a neighbor's bird-dog, that had gotten out of the fence & was "decidedly unfriendly", Ellie looked at him as if he crawled out from under a log, got a piece of cotton clothesline & in less than 10 minutes came back with the dog walking quietly beside her.- Later that night, the neighbor came home & asked about his dog. Ellie said, "He got out of the fence, went for a walk, I went to retrieve him, called him & he came to me, so I brought him home fed & watered him & he's all yours now. NICE dog too.")

yours, satx

Last edited:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Normal behavior from a healthy coyote posed no danger to a human. A rabid coyote or any animal with rabies can be a danger. You are in much more danger of an attack by a domestic dog than you are from a coyote or any wild animal here in TX. I’ve had coyotes around me for 63 years. Other than feces in the yard ( which I or my dogs don’t like) there has never been a problem. Dogs and Coydogs can be a problem.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    mongoose,

In my experience in CAMP, MORRIS & FRANKLIN Counties in Northeast Texas, coydogs, running in packs, are DEFINITELY dangerous to humans, livestock & especially to small children, the disabled & aged folks. = Our family shoots every coydog that comes on our farm, when/where seen.
    We've not had any problem with coyotes after I bought a pair of donkeys to keep the coyotes away, for 15.oo each from Colley's Sales Barn. = "The girls" are the BEST 30 bucks that I've ever spent, as "the girls" put a stop to coyotes chasing our stock..

ADDENDA: 'YOTES are SMART & it took only two coyotes being stomped to bloody mush for the local "night singing chorus" to DEPART the scene & NOT often "try the girls" again.

yours, satx

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    a 3 iron works well Much less obnoxious and easier to handle. Or walking stick with a point! Yup 'pet' dogs are the worst. Did see a bobcat walk up the drive and jump over the fence. In suburb of DFW!
    Yeah but that's a slow to action and slow to reset weapon. Big wide swings take time and leave you dangerously open to...

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Packs of coydogs/dogs can pose a definite danger. I have a Great Pyrenees that handles most anything, but a pack of domestic pit/pit bull type and coydogs can be a lethal mix for livestock or little ones.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A pack of any dogs against one dog makes that dog dinner. Or person.

Hell even a pack of the prissy teacup toy dogs will yap a pit to death. Lol

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    avvidclif,

FWIW, Texas A&M's Vet school has documented exactly 2 unprovoked attacks on an adult person by a healthy coyote since WWII, so the risk is (statistically) VERY small.
    (That said, IF you are one of the 2 unfortunate cases who were attacked/bitten, your chance of "being a snack" is 100%.)

Fyi, when my treasured/restored 1986 Mercedes 420SEL caught fire & burned (Geico totaled it.), the SAFD said that the accidental fire, due to an electrical short catching the gas tank on fire, was about 1 in a million.
    (I was the unfortunate 1 in 1,000,000.)

yours, satx
    I would consider a different vet school. With results like that. I wonder what else they are failing at?

I couldnt resist.

I get your point and agree, like I said it isnt the normal predictable things we prepare for.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I wish my biggest worry was if I might be attacked by a coyote or some other wild creature while walking.

Wearing my Trump 2020 cap in downtown Austin, now that would be cause for real vigilance.

Coyotes are waaay more dangerous than Soy Latte Drinkin’ Austin Pajama Boys

1387405857.jpg.CROP.promo-medium.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    BillFairbanks,

FYI, a considerable percentage of those Austin Pajama Boys may well ambush you and/or do something HORRID to one of your loved ones. = COWARDS do that & it takes little bravery or skill to wound/kill someone from ambush with anything from a .22lr revolver to throwing a firebomb into your home..
    (When I worked in the LA =Prison System long ago, some of the MOST VICIOUS, the most UNPREDICTABLE & DANGEROUS, "inside the wire", of our LIFERS were "mama's boys" & adult males that most men would immediately identify as SISSIES. = Further once at the New Orleans Prison or at Angola, they often/quickly/HAPPILY "found their natural niche" as "GIRLS" of some tough convict.)

yours, satx

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    In my neighborhood in N. Ft Worth they have snagged pets. I saw a video of a coyote jump a fence into a yard.

They do that very often. I lived in Allen when it had two traffic lights back in the 80's. I would see them coming and going during the night in our subdivision to hunt cats. Lived 20 years in a very rural town later and they would snag small dogs and any cats that wandered off constantly. I stumbled upon many coyotes, about a dozen bobcats and a pair of foxes over the years and they are normally afraid of humans. Rabid is an exception. I've shot a few skunks and raccoons that were aggressive and acting odd in my yard.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

alias

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    I have a similar cap. I got bitched at as I was checking out in an HEB on Bee Caves Rd. by some manhating cat woman, saying something about hunters wearing camouflage.

As I was getting my receipt I looked back and told her "I use to hunt on the ranch this store is sitting on before 'you people' moved here from California and ruined it."

Top Bottom